Boise State v New Mexico

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Boise State v New Mexico

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 pm

First halt Boise 14-7

>Lot of empty seats...this is only going to get worse nationwide, especially for the minor schools.

Boise is tackling much better
The offensive line is as weak as drinks at last call...so I have been told.
Targeting against BSU was an obvious call....no excuse.
All QB out with injuries

All running...first half was over in 1 hours plus a few minutes...No four-hour game here.

New Mexico is working to win...like their spunk.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Boise State v New Mexico

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:11 pm

28-14 Boise.

BSU wore the Lobos down. Was a traditional game with no frills. After last weeks give away to Washington State, no chance of letting that happen again.

Was good game if you had an interest...most never saw it...The new system has made small schools irrelevant.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 am

I haven't gotten to watch much football. I have about 3 weeks more coaching golf and then I'm hoping to have more time.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am

If there is interest...folks will watch it.

And it has always been true that folks will watch games involving some schools more than others. Sometimes something just has an "it" factor.

Arthur Kennedy was a fine actor with five Oscar nominated performances, but we turn to the old movie channel to watch Humphrey Bogart.

Me? I like the big games.

But...I like the games with a "story" as well. Houston and their quest to be seen as one of the big boys (Boise as well), Notre Dame and their go against the grain fight to stay independent, Kansas State with Snyder getting more than he should out of his recruits, , Duke's emergence as a program that can actually win football games, etc.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:38 am

billybud wrote:If there is interest...folks will watch it.

And it has always been true that folks will watch games involving some schools more than others. Sometimes something just has an "it" factor.

Arthur Kennedy was a fine actor with five Oscar nominated performances, but we turn to the old movie channel to watch Humphrey Bogart.

Me? I like the big games.

But...I like the games with a "story" as well. Houston and their quest to be seen as one of the big boys (Boise as well), Notre Dame and their go against the grain fight to stay independent, Kansas State with Snyder getting more than he should out of his recruits, , Duke's emergence as a program that can actually win football games, etc.

I suspect the dead horse was long ago taken to the glue factory, going to try and hang up my whip. Over the years I liked to watch fall football. Rain, little sun, crisp aid, fresh cut grass, friends in the bleachers, helping on the sideline, and it was mostly high school ball. The local school, a Friday night ritual. Come home, hot Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches and off to bed, many a day to go to a collegiate game. It would be one thing if I choose not to do that anymore, but there is not even that option.

Boise will be okay this year, but the days of a National hunt are over...they are not the team they were and the system will not allow it. What is of concern is the empty seats. Not just Boise but will filter its way up. Ohio State will not worry but the bottom teams will. I digress...

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Empty seats are due to a combination of reasons....folks like me who held tickets for 45 years watch TV now.

1....The TV experience is now very good...big screen with crystal clear HD and you see plays much better than in the stadium. You have your own concession stand and fan bathroom just steps away. And, with streaming to my big screen, every game I want to see is televised plus hundreds of ones that I don't want to see.

2...Costs have been climbing. Tickets for a couple are expensive most places....for the most basic at FSU, end zone low level seats..... $700 plus a booster contribution per seat...and it goes way on up from there. My son, who carried on after me, gave up payinig for the tickets because he would rather watch with friends and party than pay the bucks.

.....Tallahassee hotels double and even triple their rates for football weekends and demand a two night stay...$550-$800 per home game.

Attending the seven home game schedule...for tickets, hotel, gas for travel, and meals, will cost maybe $7,000 to watch the games from the stands....

Oh yeah...did I mention how hot noon and afternoon games are in Florida? As we get older we can not sit in the stadium where temperatures coming off of the concrete in the seats are near 100 degrees with high humidity.

I gladly kick up my feet, grab my remote and watch football.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:56 pm

I like live football. I don't go to as many games as I used to go to anymore. Costs are a reason, of course, but the biggest thing is the time involved. I have one kid in College, one in high school, and one in jr high school. They are all involved in sports and various other activities, along with coaching a sport that is separate from their activities and I just don't have the time to invest in my hobby that I used to have.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:18 pm

donovan wrote:Boise will be okay this year, but the days of a National hunt are over...they are not the team they were and the system will not allow it. What is of concern is the empty seats. Not just Boise but will filter its way up.

I was having this thought watching the game last night. Boise is still a good team but they are not the dominant team. I still like what they have going on and they will stay in that 8-9 win range but those 10plus win seasons will be more exception than expectation. Except of course from the local fans, who expect nothing less than unbeaten yearly.
New Mexico is a building program, had they not lost their QB it would've been a different game, possibly even outcome but wouldnt think so.

Attendance seems to be an issue for a wide array of places. Sporting events, restaurants, museums, etc...people just do not like to go places. Whether its money, time, or the inconvenience. Specifically sporting events, the price just continues to rise while the seats dont get any more comfortable. I enjoy going to the game but for the cost and drive time, we make 1 Illinois State game a year instead of the 4 or 5. If I lived in town, maybe it would be different but with kids probably not.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 am

I will take the hour drive over to watch a Western Carolina game now and then....small town football in a great setting at Cullowhee NC. Looks like some high school stadiums in Florida.

Return to “General Discussion”