Another year and hope springs eternal again..

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Another year and hope springs eternal again..

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I am older and less able as the years pass to keep up with the game. Louisville has started the season with two wins, both on the road with one in conference (game just over against UNC). Things are a bit the reverse of what I thought pre-season. Our offensive line has improved quite a bit. The defense, where we looked strong pre-season, has performed less well than I expected.

I had the Purdue game picked, at least the margin, well; but missed the actual score which I picked much lower. A large part of the Purdue staff either played at UL, were on staff at UL or worked under Petrino at one place or another. I expected a close game at Purdue.

I rated UNC a tossup based on the Purdue performance but the offense improved we had another shootout with a better team. Now, Clemson looms, another large step up in competition. I think this might be a loss unless both defense and offense step up even more. Given last year's game they may be capable of it.

Lamar Jackson is better than last year. Much, much better in the pocket.

have fun, Swamp Daddy 8)
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another year and hope springs eternal again..

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 pm

I thought Louisville might give them a run for their money, but alas Clemson is tough.

They needed to make a statement because they are the defending champs and STILL ranked #3.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:02 am

Derek wrote:I thought Louisville might give them a run for their money, but alas Clemson is tough.

They needed to make a statement because they are the defending champs and STILL ranked #3.

Maybe it was hope against reality...I thought Louisville would make a game out of it...never did.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:03 am

I'm a bit surprised by the way this game went.

I thought with Louisville playing at home, they would make it close. I figured they would be formidable, with a bunch of fervor, similar to how they took it to fsu last year.

I certainly didn't expect the Cardinals to have trouble getting the ball moving. Scoring only one time in the first three quarters. Clemson's defense is really stout. I certainly expect the Tigers to be in the ACC title game. Definitely the conference favorite.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 am

Hey Donovan ... you're up right now.

What in the world is happening with Stanford..?
San Diego State is really giving `em fits.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:55 am

I think Stanford has never recovered since last year. They had a good season, but close was deflating to them. Off-field charges always hurt morale and it is just one more thing Coach Shaw had to deal with.

Mainly I think it is their personnel, they lost NFL draftees running back Christian McCaffrey and defensive end Solomon Thomas and that hurt. Mainly I think it is their QB Keller Chryst. He is a gunslinger, could find open receivers and had little time. Chryst has to step up and be a leader. If not they will remain a rudderless ship. Stanford has been a very disciplined but last nights play did not exhibit that. I don't see Stanford doing well. In last night's game, the time management was nutty.

Not to be overlooked, San Diego State is a good football club. I suspect they will win the MWC conference.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:I'm a bit surprised by the way this game went.

I thought with Louisville playing at home, they would make it close. I figured they would be formidable, with a bunch of fervor, similar to how they took it to fsu last year.

I certainly didn't expect the Cardinals to have trouble getting the ball moving. Scoring only one time in the first three quarters. Clemson's defense is really stout. I certainly expect the Tigers to be in the ACC title game. Definitely the conference favorite.

Completely agree. I thought Clemson would have a good year but I didnt see this game going the way it did. Louisville was completely overmatched in all areas from what I saw. Clemson certainly sent the message that they arent resting on last years title.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Yes, that's precisely how I feel.

And Louisville being completely over matched with this game having been played at Papa John's Stadium, Clemson is just on fire.

Cane... [__]

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

Clemson has reloaded at QB...and their defense is very good.

In fact, I think that the ACC, as usual, has some pretty tough defenses this year,,,Clemson, FSU, VT, Miami, NC State....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Alabama looked like a freight train that was unstoppable....the rest of the SEC, not so much, frankly disarray. The firing of Les Miles with his record in hopes of a better record is a commentary on the arrogance of not only that school, but others who think in a given conference half the games will not be lost. I digress.

And so I capitulate that the ACC will be the "toughest" conference for some time. Those schools listed look good. And their leader, Clemson, handle what I still think to be a reasonable good Louisville.

The Flordia disaster rightfully causing the cancellation of games will come back to haunt the "Committee" as they will, in their minds, be forced to make some assumptions, they have never been big on just playing the game on the field.

Rain has come to the Northwest and that is good for squelching the forest fires. We have been smoked covered for three weeks, not good.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 pm

The thing that I noticed about Bama...is I was not as impressed...

They did lead 10-7 at the half over FSU...and were only up three points near the end of the 3rd qtr...but two very strange special team plays allowed Bama to score twice in 11 seconds.

The game really hinged on that blocked punt fielded by Alabama on FSU's 7 yard line...and the fumble on the ensuing kickoff, recovered on FSU's 11.

From 10-7 to 21-7 in 11 seconds. Took the wind out.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:58 am

billybud wrote:The thing that I noticed about Bama...is I was not as impressed...

They did lead 10-7 at the half over FSU...and were only up three points near the end of the 3rd qtr...but two very strange special team plays allowed Bama to score twice in 11 seconds.

The game really hinged on that blocked punt fielded by Alabama on FSU's 7 yard line...and the fumble on the ensuing kickoff, recovered on FSU's 11.

From 10-7 to 21-7 in 11 seconds. Took the wind out.

That was the tell of the tape. If circumstance gives Bama such a lead the 4 and 5 stars will do what they do and the New Ball Coach will bore you to death with heap simple plays...on schedule...for the win.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”