Week One ..?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Week One ..?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:08 am

Well, drat :!:

How I missed there were even games on yesterday, I do not know ... I am usually much more aware than this.

GameDay Results:

Stanford 62 - Rice 7

South Florida 42, San Jose State 22

Colorado State 58, Oregon State 27

BYU 20, Portland State 6

Hawai'i 38, UMass 35

The Most exciting game of the night must have been, Hawai'i vs Umass.
Quick recap of the how's in conclusion:

After being behind 28-14 late in the third quarter. With 48 seconds left in the game, Hawaii quarterback Dru Brown found tight end Metuisela ‘Unga for a seven-yard touchdown. The Warriors took their first lead of the game, 38-35.

The Minutemen then mounted a drive, getting to near midfield. From their own 45 yard line with 0:05 on the clock, UMass made a perplexing choice of a play call, where quarterback Andrew Ford shovel passed the ball to the running back on a designed screen play, for a 3 yard net gain, effectively ending the game.

Hawai'i wins, 38-35

Big playmaker of the day, Hawai'i sophomore WR John Ursua, with 12 catches for 272 yards in the game.

>

Donovan, looks like another rough season ahead for the Beavers. BYU did manage to win their opener. I'm not certain how good Portland State is, though. So, at 20-6, it may not have been the margin the Cougars were hoping for. However, a win is a win. And now with game 1 of actual competition behind them, BYU can at least make some adjustments to prepare moving forward.

South Florida looks decent. I do not know how tough San Jose State is this year. But the Spartans took an early 16 to 0 lead, which was the score at the end of the 1rst quarter. Then, the rest of the game happened. South Florida put things back together, outscoring San Jose, 28-0 in the 2cnd quarter. The game then settled in, down, as the defenses took over, with the second half scoring went South Florida 7 - San Jose 0, for the 3rd quarter, South Florida 7 - San Jose 6 in the 4th.

Stanford is looking strong, as many expected. Though, 62 to 7 was its second-biggest margin of victory since 1949 and the most points it has scored in a season opener since 1968. So, maybe even stronger than most had anticipated.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Week One ..?

Postby highfly24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm still around. Glad to see the board is as well. I dont often has much to say but I enjoy reading things.

As for the games, I enjoyed catching a limited amount of the action. Oregon State/Colorado State was entertaining for a while. I thought Anderson would have a better squad this year, and they still may but doesnt look promising. The QB could settle in and pull an upset or two that changes the race for division title. Pac 12 should be a tight race in the north.

BYU once again struggled on offense. It is odd how a team known for offense now in an offensive game cant find any. Just a small sample of what the season will bring but its nice to have some college football back and find some enjoyable distractions on Saturdays.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:36 am

This season started with me out in left field with no clue. I am not liking the looks of my work schedule heading into the early season. I have 13 sites to startup by year's end (all behind schedule, shot out to the mechanical construction guys, thanks). I hope to get by here more this season, I will try to nix Saturday afternoon work...I will likely get my way 80% of the time.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 pm

The Beavers score surprised me....

USF really did not...they were good last year and will be good this year with Quinton Flowers at QB.

Hawaii vs Massachusetts, who would win the game.....kind of like my daily musing...If the Flash and Superman raced head to head, who would win?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 pm

BYU look pathetic. Was terrible.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 pm

billybud wrote:The Beavers score surprised me....

USF really did not...they were good last year and will be good this year with Quinton Flowers at QB.

Hawaii vs Massachusetts, who would win the game.....kind of like my daily musing...If the Flash and Superman raced head to head, who would win?

Oregon State is not good. Not sure they can come out of it.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:37 pm

billybud wrote:The Beavers score surprised me....

Definitely Flash. Both against Superman and Supergirl but the point is still very relevant.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 pm

My money is always on the man of steel.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:05 pm

I was wondering why Bulldog Drummond is not in contention?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Or Indiana Jones for that matter.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”