The Arrogance of it all...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

The Arrogance of it all...

Postby donovan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:46 am

I read this article which is interesting and then in the body I read this:

"Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said the biggest change to date has been in the nonconference scheduling and compared it to making decisions in the stock market: Should programs schedule up or down?

"Because originally they said we need you to schedule up," Gundy said. "They said this four or five years ago, and our conference really stressed to our presidents and ADs about preseason scheduling if you want to have a chance to get in. Last year, Washington didn't play anybody and got in. So it brings up the same topic again: Do you say, 'I want to be 3-0 and if I run it, I'm in no matter who I play?' Or do I want to take that risk of playing a team that I could lose to, and essentially maybe not get in?"

Okay, Rutger, Idaho and Portland State. But those are the rules.....there are not enough pompous butt teams to fill out the schedules. So why not play schools that will help you recruit in your geography?

And who did Oklahoma State play Southeastern Lousiana, Pittsburg, and Central Michigan!

The bigger question is, why do I care what some guy with a mullet says?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Arrogance of it all...

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Huh?

FSU plays Alabama and Florida this season....as well as conference heavies Clemson, Miami, Louisville...and NC State. The two teams in the last National Title Game and last year's Heisman winner...six in the ESPN Power Rankings Top 25.

You can't really schedule big name P5 programs every year...but you can put effort in to it.

The Noles play Notre Dame (X2), Boise State (X2) and West Virginia in the upcoming seasons...as well as the annual Florida game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

When wins count more than who you played,,,,scheduling to win becomes paramount....

Washington's schedule last year was ranked #53 in SOS...not good, but not terrible...they played as many top 30 (Sagarin) teams as the front runners.

Yes, their OOC was weak...but teams play a SCHEDULE...and #53 wasn't all that bad. Louisville was at #54 and Nebraska #57.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:01 pm

I would suggest that if a post season tournament is going to be, then only count conference games. Works in MLB and NFL. Let them play whomever OOC.

Those without a conference will cease to be faster than a hobo devouring a ham sandwich.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:19 am

Donovan...the NFL is much more evenly matched than college football teams....and are a workable league with 32 teams total.

If you went, like the NFL, into only eight divisions with four teams each....I would applaud....Dump the other 90 some teams into a lower category.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm

But alas:

ACC = 14
Big 10 = 14
Big 12 = 10
Pac 12 = 12
SEC = 14

Totaling 64 Power 5 programs.

May as well just start the tournament from the beginning of the season. You'd have half the season, and all the teams you wanted to see in from the first game. Then espn would quit their bellyaching over how many teams should make the playoff, and stop their boo-hooing about covering so many games.

--- On a side note; it would seem Saban feels similar to Billybud ---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724 ... e-football

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

ESPN loves all of the games....the more content the better,,,especially with streaming now...they ain't belly achin"

That would be Donovan and others who want a FCS type tourney format.

Me? I like our current format...every weekend is a play off of sorts...lose and you may be out...the regular season means something...every single weekend.

Unlike basketball...unlike FCS...

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:35 am

Ever since this tournament nonsense started I have made my positions clear, even when they change.

1. I would have no post season tournament. Bowl games would be assigned to conferences or whomever they chose. All games are done by January 2

2. If, post season tournament is going to be because of the whiners, then absolutely, take the top power semi pro schools and put them in a division by themselves....all the smaller schools can just play regional ball.

The Boise States of the country need to recognize who they are and stop believing their name is even in the pot. The consequence of selling your birthright for a mess of pottage.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 am

Yay! Donovan and I sort of agree....

End the complete, but convenient, fiction that Old Dominion, Massachusetts, Middle Tennessee, and Bowling Green are playing for the same prize as Alabama, Ohio State, and Southern Cal.

Having 128 programs in FBS...with only about 40 of them (a generous number) actually capable of winning the championship, creates a false premise.

I had predicted, as you guys know, the breakaway of the P5 for years. It made too much sense.

As revenue shifts to the P5, the convenient fiction of FBS has been more and more difficult to maintain. We now just wink at it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 pm

I agree- sort of.... The power 5 is going to breakaway. We have been moving that way for a while. I just believe that their will be a 80 team power 4. The Big12 is going to implode. It is just a matter of time. As soon as Texas and Oklahoma - especially Oklahoma make a deal that makes sense for them, they are gone and their will be no more B12.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:30 pm

Unless they wanted to drive the Power-5 market, to leave that extra room for controversy every year, 5 x 16 still = 80.

Though, I wouldn't be apposed to snaking West Virginia away from the Big XII, and having ND commit as a full on ACC member ... there was a rumor this summer, floating about, that notre dame was going all in.
[however, a campus head had said there was no truth to it]

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”