The Gators Take A Mighty Blow

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

The Gators Take A Mighty Blow

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 am

Thursday, the florida gators announced that redshirt senior safety Marcell Harris would miss the entirety of the 2017 season after suffering a torn Achilles Tendon on Wednesday.

I 2016, Harris lead the team with 73 tackles while adding a sack, two interceptions, a forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a defensive touchdown. He started eight games at safety and appeared in all 13 contests for the team.

That means the gators will now head into the 2017 season with nine new starters on defense without one of their leaders and most productive and talented defensive anchors. In his absence, Chauncey Gardner could be moved back to safety or Jeawon Taylor could step into the starting role.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Gators Take A Mighty Blow

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm crying.

Big crocodile tears.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm crying.

Big crocodile tears.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm

O' I thought those were tears of laughter.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:31 am

The bleeding seems to keep happening in Gainesville.

The florida gators suspend 7 for their season opener against Michigan.

Players, Antonio Callaway, Keivonnis Davis, Kadeem Telfort, Jordan Smith, Richerd Desir-Jones, Ventrell Miller and James Houston are suspended due to violations of team rules.

The suspensions are reported, due to a misuse of school-issued funds. It's not related to cost-of-attendance funds, but other misuses of funds.

The mentioned players had improper charges [at the school bookstore] on their University issued student ID debit cards, which didn't have sufficient funds for the transactions, and then sold those items [designer headphones] for cash.

Head coach Jim McElwain: "We have a small group of players that have made some choices that are extremely disappointing. Action has been taken—they have missed some practice, and will miss the Michigan game. We will use this as a learning opportunity, and we will have some players step up as we move forward."

Keivonnis Davis was expected to make an impact along the defensive line. Whereas, Antonio Callaway is easily the biggest name on the list. The junior [Callaway] led the gators with 54 catches and 721 receiving yards last season while adding four touchdowns from scrimmage. He has 89 receptions for 1,399 yards and 11 touchdowns in two seasons. He also has returned three kicks for scores, two on punts and another on a kickoff..

Callaway has dealt with off-field problems in the past, including a citation for marijuana possession in May. He was also accused of sexual assault in January 2016, prompting the university to suspend him for the spring semester while the incident was investigated. Callaway eventually was found not responsible during a student code of conduct hearing, but acknowledged under oath that he was high on marijuana at the time of the alleged assault --- This latest incident being Callaway's third off-the-field issue in the past 20 months.

The Michigan/florida game is set to play, Sept. 2 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The suspended players will hope to be able to return for the team's second game, which comes against Northern Colorado on Sept. 9.

---

University of florida football players, Ventrell Miller and James Robinson, were cited for marijuana possession in their on-campus apartment Monday.

Jim McElwain has said that he is aware, and it has been "dealt with", the University of florida made in an official statement.

Miller is one of the seven players on the gators already suspended for the team's opening game against Michigan.

This also isn't the first misstep for Robinson. The highly touted receiver was cited for marijuana possession in Columbus during his visit to Ohio State. While the Buckeyes stopped recruiting him, florida gave him a second chance.

The two freshmen were caught Monday by a residential assistant, who notified police after smelling the marijuana from the hallway. They each admitted to owning one of the two bags found in the room by the officers.

---

Wednesday, McElwain admitted he hasn't settled on a starting quarterback and may allow Malik Zaire, Luke Del Rio and Feleipe Franks to all take snaps in the opener vs. Michigan.

Jim McElwain: "You're going to see a bunch of them in there playing. The three guys have done a really good job. I think there's some things that they all bring to the table that are really good. Now the key to us is putting them in those positions, you know, that play to their strengths. Will all play? I don't know yet. Will a couple of them play? I don't know yet. I know we will have somebody at the position."

Responding to a question about the lack of clarity being a ploy to mess with the Wolverines so they have to prepare to defend several signal-callers.

Jim McElwain: "Absolutely, definitively not doing that. There are no mind games. I know what you got to write, write what you got to do. I've told you the answer. But definitively that is a true statement."

What do the potential quarterbacks in this situation feel? Two have spoaken on the scenario.

Malik Zaire: "Obviously it’s not ideal. I don’t think anybody in the quarterback room wants that. But at the end of the day, you just gotta do what coach wants. I feel like coach should be confident enough to stick with a guy and be able to roll with that guy because that’s best for the team. When you have all these quarterbacks, you still have none at the end of the day."

Luke Del Rio: “It is difficult because everybody kind of gets use to one guy and you’re trying to get in a rhythm.

Myself; think McElwain needs to get it together. Having 2 potential playmakers at quarterback on retainer is ideal. However, unless you're playing one guy, the rotating the other 2 in at opportune moments, you are setting yourself up for disaster.

With 3 QB's looking at being the Starter, you do not give the rest of the offense a chance to gel, things go awry quickly. You need no better of an example of this, than taking a lesson from former Tennessee head coach, Philip Fulmer. He had 3 excellent quartebacks who could have started at any College in D-1. Yet, insead of choosing one starter, he stuck with his promise to all 3, that they were the guy to lead the offense on the field. He rotated them all as starters, and they ended up having the first .500 season, followed by the first losing season in 16 years.

Things continued to get worse, as the team began to fall apart, and Fulmer found himself out of a job. Tennessee hasn't been the same since.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Michigan is replacing their entire defense. Harbaugh is with holding who made the two deep, but it isn't likely to be someone you have heard of anyway.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”