Not Thrilled With This ...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Not Thrilled With This ...

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:35 am

Here is an article that fumes me a bit:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/ ... e-football

I get so annoyed with the NCAA giving in to espn's demands.

Every rules change made to date, has been purely to offer contingencies that benefit espn's programming. The argument has been, it is for all of the networks' showcasing collegiate sporting events, so that regular TV schedules may be kept.

And yet, the only network who complains about game length, is espn. All other networks schedule reruns of popular shows, to offset time overlaps. And, every network benefits from an game that goes into Overtime on their broadcast. The ratings for College Football are sky high, while channels not broadcasting NCAA football games, generally have movies, or themselves play reruns of their more popular tv shows, during competitive time block; because College Football rules the airtime.

If the argument re for West Coast viewing, then, I agree that game times could end sooner ... though, earlier start times could negate those problems.

Look at the stupid rules changes they have had to speed up the games already:

1. the play clock is now 40 seconds rather than 25 -- in hopes that the winning team could run the clock easier.

2. going out of bounds only stops the clock until the ball is placed at the line of scrimmage; unless the game clock is under two minutes of play in the half (second or third quarter).

3. a 10 seconds runoff of time against teams if a penalty is incurred inside of the final minute unless the penalized team has a timeout to prevent the affect -- a game can very well end because of a simple false start.

In four seasons, the average length of games has increased seven minutes, from 3:17 in 2013 to 3:24 this season. This has occurred even though the number of plays has remained virtually the same: 143 plays per game in 2013, 142.6 plays per game in 2016.

Prior to the changes to rules regarding game play, the national average for the length of an NCAA football game was 3 hours to 3 hours and 15 mins.

Even after having implemented rules to shorten game times, the lengths of these contests continue to increase.

Why is that..?

Two reasons, really:

1.) networks who have lobbied for shorter game time, have taken advantage of the rules changes, by adding length to the time and frequency of advertisement breaks.

2.) Instant Replay --- the implementation of the replay stoppage, has significantly increased the length of game times.

If they are serious about trimming the time frame in which to get a full game into, then the NCAA needs to do the right thing, and pull the reins back against the networks, telling them how they are going to conduct their own product, and; either get on board, or give broadcasting contracts to those networks competitors.

Then, they need to go in and reform the replay issue. One would be to give the replay booth an allotted amount of time where, if the booth cannot decide within the confines of a certain limit, the ruling remains a the field judge called it.

Here are the most common ideas that are being discussed to shorten game lengths:

a.) a running clock on first downs (until the final two or five minutes of each half)

b.) shortening halftime > this has been voted in as an official rule

c.) limiting the number of replays

d.) reducing the number of timeouts

e.) a shorter play clock

f.) changing in-game substitution rules

g.) limiting the number of commercial breaks

My thoughts, stand firm on suggestion (g.) and then, go back to the previous time rules. Even if that means doing away with replay altogether.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Not Thrilled With This ...

Postby billybud » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:25 pm

20 minutes is enough for a half time....I actually do not have a problem with limiting the half.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:52 pm

There is a basic premise in life. If it is work...get it done and over. If it is fun, make it last longer.....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 pm

donovan wrote:There is a basic premise in life. If it is work...get it done and over. If it is fun, make it last longer.....

Agreed.

When the time is 3 hours difference from one coast to the other you will never have a time that works for both. College games are largely regional. There aren't many people who are like us and watch 3-5 games on Saturday. I didn't watch that many last year and I use to watch at least 6 a week.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:57 pm

One of the reasons Boise State is opting out of the ESPN group is because they had some 9:00 PM start times. Boise was one of the first teams to start the Thursday night game because they got exposure. When it no longer benefits the school, you need to do what you have to do.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

I agree. ESPN is wanting the Big 10 to do Friday games. Friday nights belong to high school football. I believe that the Big Ten will end up pulling out of the agreement because it is bound to hurt recruiting. It takes the spotlight off of high school football. The colleges don't want that hurdle. They originally said yes to "a few" games, but the uproar from the high schools has been very loud.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 pm

I like that the MAC has its own deal with the Tuesday night games ...

However, it does get to be a bit much when games appear on Wednesday as well. I love College Football, though, having games on, Tuesday---Saturday is taxing on my attention span.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”