CFB Christmas tomorrow.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

CFB Christmas tomorrow.

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

How is everyone doing?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: CFB Christmas tomorrow.

Postby donovan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:41 pm

I have never been concerned about signing day. Most players will not see action for a couple of years. Boise has some good recruits, maybe better than usual. They are good at getting the cream of the second tier players. They have two Offensive lineman. One is 6'5 they other 6'6 both 320 pounds. Who knows.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 am

I always enjoy NSD...but it ain't what it used to be. Teams now fill rosters earlier and only have a handful of slots left at NSD.

Under Bobby, FSU was known for furious closes on National Signing Day....under Jimbo, there are about three guys that we are hoping to get that are still in contention and another two who we know are "silents" and want their dramatic announcement.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Whoooo hooo!

The big man came through...the #2 overall prospect in the whole 2017 class and #1 Defensive Tackle, Marvin Wilson, just signed with the Noles...He was the "big get" we waited all day on....between Ohio State, LSU, and FSU.

He was the remaining piece that was needed for future seasons....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:02 pm

billybud wrote:Whoooo hooo!

The big man came through...the #2 overall prospect in the whole 2017 class and #1 Defensive Tackle, Marvin Wilson, just signed with the Noles...He was the "big get" we waited all day on....between Ohio State, LSU, and FSU.

He was the remaining piece that was needed for future seasons....

It really was. Wilson was someone Ohio State was really wanting to get. The Buckeyes were never really in the lead for him, we always heard LSU was the team to beat. It was a big get for Fisher. I think he may get time on the line immediately. Congrats on the big get.

I really didn't get a chance to enjoy the day. I found out this morning that my aunt, who was in the hospital, is not going to make it. She and my mom were extremely close and so are our two families. She lived a full life. She is 85, but that doesn't make it any easier. I hope to really take a look at Ohio State's class in a couple weeks. CFB is a good distraction for me.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:21 am

Our sympathies to you, Spence. It is seldom easy.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:24 am

Good job, Mr. Billybud. I think I get how exciting NSD is for large schools. Boise picked all Scout/Rival etc three star recruits, save one four star. I think it is tough to identify "good" players that are in the middle of the pack. When you read about them and watch their video's they all look alike in performance. I think Boise has a fairly good budget for recruiting but the majority of schools in the country have barely none. Tough business.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:53 am

The star thing is a crap shoot. There are 5 stars who never play and 1 stars guys who make it in the NFL. Of course the odds are better with the 5 star guys but there is no magic bullet. Nick Mangold who has been an all pro Center in the NFL was a 1 star guy who was upgraded to a 3 star when Ohio State offered him. The guys who don't come from high school football power houses, who don't go to the camps, who don't share their tape don't get noticed because people don't know about them - except maybe a coach from this school or that school who would rather he not be noticed. having good relationships with high school coaches in recruiting is the key. Not really what the star rating happens to be.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:08 am

Spence...sorry to hear about your aunt...

Alabama set a recruiting record......their 2017 class has a total of 25 five and four stars.....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:11 am

billybud wrote:Spence...sorry to hear about your aunt...

Alabama set a recruiting record......their 2017 class has a total of 25 five and four stars.....

Thanks, it has been a tough week. Alabama had a great class. Florida State did too.

Return to “General Discussion”