Group of 5 - I Think All Saw This Coming

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Group of 5 - I Think All Saw This Coming

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier told the media on Wednesday, that the Group of Five schools are contemplating forming their own playoff.

Sean Frazier: "It’s time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of Five. Why not? There is absolutely no ability for us to be in that national title conversation. That’s just reality. Anyone that says we can; That’s a flat-out lie. Every division of college football has a national championship — Power 5, FCS, Division II, Division III and NAIA — every division, that is, except the Group of 5.”

This season, Western Michigan was one of 2 undefeated programs [the other of course, Alabama] and still only ascended to No. 15 in the College Football Playoff rankings.

The Broncos ranked behind six Power Five teams with three losses, and one Power Five team with four losses. Memphis notched the highest-ever Group of 5 ranking @ #13 in 2015, but no team among the Group of Five has won a national title since 1984.

Other athletic directors in the Group of Five are exploring the idea of a separate playoff, and espn is reporting that NBC, CBS and espn have expressed interest in televising the event, several other Group of Five athletic directors aren’t thrilled about the idea.

One Group of Five AD told ESPN: “You mean compete for a junior varsity championship? No thanks.”

Currently, the highest ranked Group of Five team plays in a New Year’s Six Bowl, which is a financial boon to that school’s conference. Would this separate playoff be worth enough to offset that? Or would the highest-ranked Group of Five team still play in the CFP while the remaining conference champions and some at-large teams formed a Group of Five playoff field?

Teams from the Group of Five have been treated like second-class citizens in terms of the national championship for decades.

It took Boise State’s 2007 Fiesta Bowl win against Oklahoma for many to realize Group of Five teams could compete with the Power Five, and it took Utah’s undefeated season, which was capped with a thrashing of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, before the BCS powers that be admitted that the system wasn’t adequately rewarding all deserving teams.

While the FBS College Football Playoff was supposed to address those concerns by allowing every team a fair shake by an independent panel of voters, it’s clear the chasm still exists.

So, it’s no surprise that some programs are getting a little frustrated about where they fall in the college football hierarchy, and whether there’s really any place for them in the system at all.

While a separate playoff would accentuate the divide between the haves and have-nots of college football, it might be the only way for teams from these conferences to get a chance to lift a national championship trophy.

The only other possible solution would be to have a full on Tournament of Conference Champions, or for the Group of 5 teams to load an impossibly difficult nonconference schedule, and then go undefeated to force the CFP committee’s hand.

But the fact that Group of Five teams are held to such a higher criteria when it comes to their schedules — while Power Five teams can lose three games and still be in contention for a playoff spot — is just another part of the problem.

The writing has been on he walls from day one. The Group of 5 were on board when the playoff tournament was introduced. Though, now it has become evident that they, and their Cinderella success stories, were a media tool, to push for a playoff where they would still be excluded.

And, no doubt espn is going to be all in on swaying the slant for a midmajor tournament. It would be the next step in explaining away the rest of the Bowl Games.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Group of 5 - I Think All Saw This Coming

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 pm

That would allow the structure I have been talking about to happen.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:10 pm

What is mind boggling is everyone on this board saw this in one form or another for the past 5 years. IMO a group of 5 will not solve the issues, but if a National Conference is so important...this would be better.

Forget the fact we have seen some really crummy football this bowl season.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:59 pm

I've actually enjoyed several of the games so far this year. Even thought not many turned out like I thought.

I don't think any of it fixes what is wrong. What is wrong is people want to control the teams that make the playoff. There is this notion that they can tell by watching the games that who are the best teams. That is exactly where we were before the BCS and the playoffs, only it is different people now. instead of a bunch of people across America who don't talk to each other we grab a bunch of people from across America and put them in a room and make them agree on who gets in the playoff. At the end of the day it is less fair than the BCS. Less fair than the AP. What we get now is the committee trying to focus on the best TV match ups. So you have matchups based mostly on blue bloods at the end of the year. Alabama and Ohio State are blue blood teams. So is Washington although it has been awhile for them. Clemson isn't as much of a historical blue blood but they are the big dog in that region right now, while we wait on Florida State or Miami to pick up the banner again. Now the committee sits back and hopes Wisconsin knocks Western Michigan back in their place so people don't realize that the emperor still doesn't have clothes.

They should let conference champs playoff or go back to the original bowl exhibitions and quit trying to reinvent the wheel.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:02 am

An 8 team playoff would largely address this, with a mandate that the highest ranked Group of 5 team getting 1 of the 8 spots. In the end I think this will only throw another log on that fire. Finishes like OSO, MU, and PSU already throwing a log on that fire.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:58 am

I think that is throwing a bone to the group of 5. Until they take people out of the decision it it isn't a legit playoff. I believe that .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:30 am

Seems to me there are four major pathways.

1. Continue with was is currently happening. ESPN will continue to lose money, and they outright own 16 Bowl). Fan participation will be sporadic, as it is now. You will have 5-6 teams in bowl games. The chance of all teams having an opportunity to play in the NC will be what it is now, zero. All the problems now and no solutions in sight.

2. Take the power 5 group and make a new division in some form as proposed. Nonsense. You think Boise State or Western Michigan or the next minor school to go 11-0 wants to vie for a Junior Varsity trophy?

3. Divide all conferences into boxer type weights. (It is done now for all the other divisions). Have eight conferences in a group and have a conference championship playoff. Season will go too long, too many injuries and more prospective NFL players will opt out. The TV audience will only care about the Heavyweight playoff.

4. Go back to conference champions meet in specified bowls played the last week before New Year's, ending on New Year's day. Let pundits, the AP, CFP, the water cooler crowd, KGB, KFC, ABC, ESPN decide who they think is the NC. Just like worked for years and years. Won't happen because greed is infinite, reason finite.

I like number 4. But I voted for Goldwater, the Abraham Lincoln of our times rejected by a nation in unbelief...I digress...so my vote doesn't count.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:56 am

Mine doesn't either.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 pm

donovan wrote:Seems to me there are four major pathways.

1. Continue with was is currently happening. ESPN will continue to lose money, and they outright own 16 Bowl). Fan participation will be sporadic, as it is now. You will have 5-6 teams in bowl games. The chance of all teams having an opportunity to play in the NC will be what it is now, zero. All the problems now and no solutions in sight.

2. Take the power 5 group and make a new division in some form as proposed. Nonsense. You think Boise State or Western Michigan or the next minor school to go 11-0 wants to vie for a Junior Varsity trophy?

3. Divide all conferences into boxer type weights. (It is done now for all the other divisions). Have eight conferences in a group and have a conference championship playoff. Season will go too long, too many injuries and more prospective NFL players will opt out. The TV audience will only care about the Heavyweight playoff.

4. Go back to conference champions meet in specified bowls played the last week before New Year's, ending on New Year's day. Let pundits, the AP, CFP, the water cooler crowd, KGB, KFC, ABC, ESPN decide who they think is the NC. Just like worked for years and years. Won't happen because greed is infinite, reason finite.

I like number 4. But I voted for Goldwater, the Abraham Lincoln of our times rejected by a nation in unbelief...I digress...so my vote doesn't count.

I think Putin would be biased against Georgia....Get it???? I'm here all week. :)

I'll take #4 BTW
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”