WakeyLeaks

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

WakeyLeaks

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I guess this is what they're calling the leaked plays from Wake Forest now? :lol: :lol:

Apparently they think Virginia Tech and Louisville are implicated, but nobody knows how far up it goes. I guess the radio broadcaster for Wake was feeding info to some position coaches of opposing teams. I highly doubt Frank Beamer was ever personally implicated.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WakeyLeaks

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Eric wrote:I guess this is what they're calling the leaked plays from Wake Forest now? :lol: :lol:

Apparently they think Virginia Tech and Louisville are implicated, but nobody knows how far up it goes. I guess the radio broadcaster for Wake was feeding info to some position coaches of opposing teams. I highly doubt Frank Beamer was ever personally implicated.

I think if you take and use info from someone from another team you are not an ethical person. Past that, I don't think it is on those teams. The guy that handed out the info, though, should go to jail.

I doubt Frank Beamer knew about it even if it happened. I think that would be out of character for him. At least as much as I have ever heard about him. As far as Petrino goes, I think he is a great football coach. I think he is also a low life, no morals kind of guy. I would not doubt that he would use info like that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:57 pm

They say it was an undisclosed assistant that was not retained when Fuente took over. I pray that it is true as I wouldn't want anyone like that near the program.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Turns out one of the assistants was Beamers son Shane. Glad he's not with the program but how disrespectful can you be to your father than to risk tarnishing his legacy.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Vileborg wrote:Turns out one of the assistants was Beamers son Shane. Glad he's not with the program but how disrespectful can you be to your father than to risk tarnishing his legacy.

I agree.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:32 am

I view that Wakeyleak much like signal stealing...If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

In the 2013 championship game with Auburn...Auburn killed everything FSU did in the first half...in the second, FSU began shielding signals and the offense soared.

"So how did Auburn know what was coming? Current Auburn co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig just finished his first season on the Auburn coaching staff. Craig spent the previous three seasons coaching Florida State's quarterbacks under Fisher. According to Tomahawk Nation, Florida State receiver Kelvin Benjamin could be heard on the audio of the television broadcast yelling "Dameyune calling all the plays," to both Fisher and Jameis Winston during the first drive of the second half.

After that Fisher and the coaching staff busted out the towels to shield their calls from Auburn."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the national title game in January, Florida State staffers held up white towels in the second half to shield their offensive signals from Auburn’s coaches. When Auburn played Kansas State on Sept. 18, Wildcats coach Bill Snyder spiced up his halftime interview by mentioning Auburn had figured out K-State’s signals.

Those two incidents in Auburn’s last two high-profile games have put the Tigers at the forefront of a growing conversation in college football about the cloak-and-dagger world of stealing signals. The Inside Read interviewed a dozen current and former coaches about the prevalence of stealing signals, and a majority consider the espionage a high-stakes game within the game. Most programs have staffers with binoculars in the press box peering at the signals being sent in on the opposing sideline. This has left coaches rife with paranoia. While the extent of some teams’ sign-stealing operations can raise ethical questions, the practice is so common it may soon prompt rule changes to curtail it.

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher conceded at the time that stealing signals is “part of the game” and said he had “no problem” with what Auburn did. One SEC assistant told The Inside Read that his team will change their signals and use wristbands before playing Auburn this season. Another SEC assistant said the bigger the staff of the school, the more he’s concerned. “I worry about Alabama more than Auburn to be honest,” he said.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 am

It is easy to become neo-Pharisees in these situations. I tend to agree with all of the above. There is a difference between putting camera's on practice fields, stealing playbooks, bribing people to divulge information and what happens on the playing field. We have seen all kinds of codes used in football, the picture charts, state names, etc. I think that is fair game. (I always unsuccessfully try to figure out a team's baseball signals) What happens prior to the game is unsportsmanlike.

(One of the reasons watching baseball on TV is not good is because you miss 90% of the game. Watch a live game where the dugout gives the catcher the signal and the catcher relays it to the pitcher. The base coaches are flailing their arms as well as scratching their crotches. Binoculars in centerfield getting relayed...I am against that.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:21 am

I think that is right. Figuring out what the other team is doing is just gamesmanship. Having their playbook and using it to your advantage is very different.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Sooooo....when you lose an assistant coach to a rival...you just dump your whole playbook?

Surely, Auburn knew FSU's playbook with Damuyune Craig on their sidelines,,,

Yrue..it's not like a gifted printed copy, but it's result should be similar.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Sooooo....when you lose an assistant coach to a rival...you just dump your whole playbook?

Surely, Auburn knew FSU's playbook with Damuyune Craig on their sidelines,,,

Yrue..it's not like a gifted printed copy, but it's result should be similar.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:35 pm

It's something else though when you have internal espionage. At least FSU knew who was on Auburn's coaching staff. This is something internal that you have no inkling of, and any countermeasure you take to switch plays would be picked up and leaked again.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Correct. No difference if you work for IBM and go to Xerox. Teams have a reason to copyright play books and if they find they have been copied...there are avenues to get satisfaction.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”