Kiffin is the Benjamin Button of football

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Kiffin is the Benjamin Button of football

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13 pm

His career makes more sense read in reverse..

"He started out as a budding HC with lots of potential at a low profile directional Florida school. He parlayed his offensive prowess into a big time OC position at the best team in the SEC. He then left to take one of the best head coaching positions nationally at USC. Finally, after nearly 4 seasons in LA and with the shadow of the NCAA looming at his doorstep, he took off for old Rocky Top. After just one short season at Tennessee, Kiffin burned every bridge in Knoxville by jumping ship to the NFL as head coach of the Oakland Raiders."

(stolen from a site)
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Re: Kiffin is the Benjamin Button of football

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm

I like it :lol:

I don't even know if Kiffin will work at FAU. He shouldn't have too difficult a time of it. But if he fails here, it's obviously career suicide as far as his head coaching aspirations go. He can still always become a coordinator.

I've always wondered how Kiffin worked himself into these high profile positions myself. The fact that he got the job with the Oakland Raiders from being a college offensive coordinator was pretty amazing, but Al Davis was known for making some eccentric hires.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Eric wrote:I like it :lol:

I don't even know if Kiffin will work at FAU. He shouldn't have too difficult a time of it. But if he fails here, it's obviously career suicide as far as his head coaching aspirations go. He can still always become a coordinator.

I've always wondered how Kiffin worked himself into these high profile positions myself. The fact that he got the job with the Oakland Raiders from being a college offensive coordinator was pretty amazing, but Al Davis was known for making some eccentric hires.

He dad was the key to how he got those job.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:31 pm

I suspect that coaching today is a little about x's and o's, but a lot more time is spent on all the other stuff in running a big organization. Rules, boosters, administration, promotion, etc etc can eat up tons of time and there is a lot of people slapping you on the back. If you do not concentrate on winning and delegate all the other responsibilities...you will certainly fail. One small example is the national polls where big time coaches do not spend their time filling out the form, takes too much time. They give it to some assistant and that is part of the reason we get those results. I suspect Kiffin is a better coach than administrator.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 am

I read this and I say to myself....exactly my point. Talk to the booster and get them to donate, if he can not delegate he will be swamped and the actual coaching be set aside. Get wins and there won't be enough folding chairs in town.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18294897/lane-kiffin-reaches-florida-atlantic-owls-fans-urges-ticket-sales
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 pm

donovan wrote:I read this and I say to myself....exactly my point. Talk to the booster and get them to donate, if he can not delegate he will be swamped and the actual coaching be set aside. Get wins and there won't be enough folding chairs in town.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18294897/lane-kiffin-reaches-florida-atlantic-owls-fans-urges-ticket-sales

I don't want to be mean, but I just don't like L@ne K!ff1n. He makes a mess everywhere he goes.

Him being told to leave Alabama before the NC game just confirmed a pattern that I feel he has shown.

I believe that he will probably fail at FAU for the same reasons he was fired at USC. For the same reasons he was told to take a hike before an important game at Bama. And for the same reason he left Tenn the way he did. I know that might be hard hearted, but it's just a gut feeling I have about him.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”