ESPN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

ESPN

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:19 am

The future of collegiate sports is on the financial pages. ESPN is in trouble and has been for some time. What does the Magic 8 ball predict?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/07/one-of-disneys-most-popular-brands-has-investors-really-worried/?utm_term=.aac4a64278b0
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ESPN

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:39 am

Disney, and media as a whole, are going to continue to lose viewers because of their polititical agenda. They was to force their morality upon society and make people except views they are not ready for or are morally opposed to.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 pm

huh?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:48 pm

I agree that some of us are morally opposed to the outrageous slathering over the SEC and the Big Ten that ESPN subjects us to....is that what you are talking about?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:19 am

Before Spence replies, I don't think that is what he is alluding to. ESPN has taken political positions on issues such as LGBT, Black Lives Matter, Opposition to conservative comments, etc. They have expressed very liberal political bias and have terminated employees for expressing more conservative positions. Their viewership is way down to point that Disney is being pressured to divest ESPN. Right or wrong, agree or not, I think is pretty factual.

This article is from ESPN. Other articles not from ESPN are very inflamatory.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/767/inside-and-out-espn-dealing-with-changing-political-dynamics

Maybe this is not what Spence meant.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Oh...at least ESPN is consistent over time...from firing Cosell for saying.."look at that little monkey scamper"...and Jimmy the Greek for opining that blacks excell at football because of genetics...

I only watch the games and the game announcing...so I do not get the full ESPN message.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 pm

donovan wrote:Before Spence replies, I don't think that is what he is alluding to. ESPN has taken political positions on issues such as LGBT, Black Lives Matter, Opposition to conservative comments, etc. They have expressed very liberal political bias and have terminated employees for expressing more conservative positions. Their viewership is way down to point that Disney is being pressured to divest ESPN. Right or wrong, agree or not, I think is pretty factual.

This article is from ESPN. Other articles not from ESPN are very inflamatory.

Maybe this is not what Spence meant.

That is some of it. Mostly though, all of the hypocrisy of the parent company. Then there are the scandals that Disney turned a blind eye too until someone reported them.

http://www.thesportbuzz.com/1437111/15-scandals-rocked-espn/ among other sites. google espn scandals

I think that people are just tired of all the propaganda being spewed by the media. NPR, Disney, CBS, MSNBC, Fox, and NBC to name a few. This country gives people the illusion that they have a voice. That we are a democracy. When we are really just a aristocracy designed to keep the same people in power, under the guise of a two party system. Rant over. :lol:

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:32 am

It's stuff like with the Colin Kaepernick thing. I personally don't have a strong opinion on the matter, but at least 50% of the country disapproves of his expression. Yet, 100% of ESPN commenters treat his protest with sympathy or full-throated agreement. You can't criticize Kaepernick on ESPN or else you'll be disciplined, so you just shut up about it (if there are actually people at ESPN who disagree with him, I'm sure there are).

Curt Schilling got fired because he opposed the transgender bathroom issue, as I'd argue most Americans probably do. Somehow that is unconscionable to people at ESPN and makes you a Neanderthal when your average auto mechanic working in Knoxville doesn't get how that opinion is controversial. In that same vein, Bruce Jenner won a courage award that could have gone to an actual hero. That's why ESPN's ratings are down.

But, people are cutting cable regardless.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:22 pm

Eric wrote:It's stuff like with the Colin Kaepernick thing. I personally don't have a strong opinion on the matter, but at least 50% of the country disapproves of his expression. Yet, 100% of ESPN commenters treat his protest with sympathy or full-throated agreement. You can't criticize Kaepernick on ESPN or else you'll be disciplined, so you just shut up about it (if there are actually people at ESPN who disagree with him, I'm sure there are).

Curt Schilling got fired because he opposed the transgender bathroom issue, as I'd argue most Americans probably do. Somehow that is unconscionable to people at ESPN and makes you a Neanderthal when your average auto mechanic working in Knoxville doesn't get how that opinion is controversial. In that same vein, Bruce Jenner won a courage award that could have gone to an actual hero. That's why ESPN's ratings are down.
ut, people are cutting cable regardless.

That is mostly what I am talking about. The complete leftist agenda of the Disney networks. I believe Kaepernick has the right to do what he did. I would defend his right to do it. I would also express my opinion that he is wrong to do it, even though it is his right. I would also question a guy who wants to make a political statement and then not vote in the election and participate in the process that supports him being able to express his opinion. I find people both on the left and right who try to stifle an open discourse repulsive. Political correctness does just that for me. When every one spends all their time carefully trying to say the right things as to no offend it hides racism, sexism, and creates a fake version of what is going on. Honesty, even with all the warts, is the best way to go.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:44 am

Where I would agree that Kaepernick has the right to protest, I would disagree that he has the right to do so while representing the San Fransisco uniform.

Although, in the soviet state republic of California, the majority of the people are completely brainwashed to the point of being pc androids. The San Fransisco franchise, as a whole, clearly does not support his protest, as an act. Thus, if he is going to make such a political statement, it should not be on someone's else dime. It should be on his free time.

Today, there are many ways celebrities, athletes and politicians communicate to the viewing public, outside of the vantage of the television cameras.

He not only has access to all of those outlets; he also has current standing accounts on each of those social media platforms.

And the only reason why the general management & ownership figures put up with Kaepernick's behavior, is because it has people talking, which means people are either tuning in, or participating in conversations that regard the San Fransisco 49ers.

But since the sheeple around the community of this Franchise will blindly support anything that stands against alleged racism [fraudulent or not], then the people in charge will allow him do do whatever he wants.

And the nfl is also on board with this. Otherwise, they would say something to the 49ers, such as, "Cut it out, or lose your national broadcast" --- since they haven't taken a stance, it is something they are pretending is not in their control.

Kaepernick is an employee of the 49ers, and represents "Them" not "Him" when he is wearing "Their" uniform ["His" name being on the back of the uniform is a "Privilege" he is "Granted" not his individual "Right"], and playing in the "Owner's" stadium.

Kaepernick is representing the "nfl" not "Himself" every time he steps out onto any franchise's field.

So, again, I agree that a player has the individual right to speak or visually express his or her beliefs, no matter the sport in question --- however, I disagree that he or she has the right to do so when that player suits up, and goes to perform his or her job's responsibilities, where it does not fulfill a job requirement to make such a public display of one's own opinions.

Insomuch as saying such; I would also opine that every station would better learn this lesson, if people stopped viewing any of their channels, the moment things took a political twist.

For example ... I turned the tv on the other night, to cbs ... saw Michell Obama blathering on in an interview. Heard her talk for about 2 and a half minutes, when she said something to the regards of, "The only thing you can do is try to be as honest with everything as you can. And that is exactly how we presented everything, with open and honesty in everything we did" ... that was enough. Barack lied to the people every chance he got. And when he was called on it, would stumble and stutter his way through things by sputtering more lies. And as a result of Michell's muttering, I immediately changed the channel.

I do that as well, when I hear a football commentary that babbles of something I do not agree with. Especially when it is obvious these dimwits are being paid to speak other people's opinions, during a live broadcast --- channel flipped, I'll watch the other guys, thank you very much.

It may be a small statement. But it is a statement none-the-less.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:04 pm

He has a right to do it in a San Francisco uniform if the team doesn't care and if they did care he wouldn't be on the field to do it.

Return to “General Discussion”