Bowl Thoughts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Bowl Thoughts

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:45 am

Now we're talking.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Now we go from a computer program having an impact on polls along with opinion to the system we have now. A select number of people in a room that decides which teams belong in the top 4 positions of the rankings. I just wonder what types of points they throw around. Back in 2008, Texas beat Oklahoma 45-35, Texas Tech beat Texas 39-33, and Oklahoma beat Texas Tech 65-21. One of the things I heard thrown around was, yes there was a 3 way tie, but no way did Texas Tech belong after getting blown out like that. OK... so that left Texas and Oklahoma. Texas won head to head. They left it up to the BCS standings as a tiebreaker. Fast forward to now...

I still wonder what points were thrown around. Was it like a court case in a hung jury? I would like to know if they thought:
"There is no way we can leave two conference champs out in Penn State and Washington".
"We can't put Penn State in this 4 team playoff. Michigan blasted them when they played".
"Michigan lost twice in three weeks. Losing late hurts late, right? They can't be included".
"If so and so team played so and so team's schedule, would they still have the same record?"
"There is no way we can include a 2 loss team in this playoff... can we?"

Did I miss any? I feel that this season would be the toughest to be a CFP member.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 am

Until they go to a tournament of champions, they will never have an objective field. They will never go to that system because they have TV ratings to consider.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:47 pm

Spence is just being the usual humble self. I respect it but I would point out that a mediocre Va Tech almost beat Clemson. OSU should roll.

As to Bama and Washington. It is definitely a David Vs. Goliath kind of game but Saban tends to get too conservative at times. If he does that against Washington it could go either way.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Vileborg wrote:Spence is just being the usual humble self. I respect it but I would point out that a mediocre Va Tech almost beat Clemson. OSU should roll.

As to Bama and Washington. It is definitely a David Vs. Goliath kind of game but Saban tends to get too conservative at times. If he does that against Washington it could go either way.

Ohio State had a close game with Indiana, Northwestern, and Michigan State along with barely scraping by Michigan and losing to Penn State. The right tackle has spent a whole season blocking air instead of a defender. Ohio State can't move the ball without Barrett playing well and Barrett doesn't play well if he has a DT in his backfield all day. I'm not sugar coating Ohio State, they have real issues. I don't know as much about Clemson, but I know it is largely the same team as last year and they have lots of talent. I don't know why they struggle from time to time.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:16 pm

The stadium will be noisy, and an electric atmosphere to say the least.

If OSU can protect the ball, they should be fine. How fine, might just come down to the Buckeyes ability to pressure Deshaun Watson.

For Clemson; if they come out as hyped up as they did against Louisville, they could win this game by 10 -- staying ahead of the Bucks throughout the 2cnd half.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:The stadium will be noisy, and an electric atmosphere to say the least.

If OSU can protect the ball, they should be fine. How fine, might just come down to the Buckeyes ability to pressure Deshaun Watson.

For Clemson; if they come out as hyped up as they did against Louisville, they could win this game by 10 -- staying ahead of the Bucks throughout the 2cnd half.

Watson will get his on the ground, but I'm not that worried about the defense unless the offense can't keep them off the field it could be ugly.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Ohio State will lead after the first quarter and channels will be flipped because the game will be over.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:16 pm

donovan wrote:Ohio State will lead after the first quarter and channels will be flipped because the game will be over.

I hope that is the case, but I am not seeing what you guys are seeing. Clemson reminds me of Ohio State last year. They have all the talent, just maybe not the will until now.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:36 pm

That's actually how I see it ... which is why I chose Clemson to win in my Bowl Predictions.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:57 pm

To beat Bama you have to throw on them, and they won't give you much time to do that.

Clemson shows up, it is just a matter of when and how much. If they don't show up by the 2nd drive, they will have problems.

All of the othe games are exhibitions.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:20 pm

WoVeU wrote:To beat Bama you have to throw on them, and they won't give you much time to do that.

Clemson shows up, it is just a matter of when and how much. If they don't show up by the 2nd drive, they will have problems.

All of the othe games are exhibitions.

I agree.

Return to “General Discussion”