Oregon's Helfrich Out

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Oregon's Helfrich Out

Postby donovan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:57 am

Changing of the guard at Oregon. In my opinion, the ESPN guys have it wrong. 1. Nike contributes a lot of money to Oregon, but it is not by any means the support of the ongoing program. Most of the money goes to campus improvement which includes athletics. Oregon has great booster support. So the idea Phil Knight calls the shots is assinine. 2. He lost to Oregon State. That was the death knell. Had he won that game maybe there was an argument to stay. 3. Was not the losing season but the recruitment path Helfrich had taken. Was not well founded and just to band-aid driven.

No idea who wants the job. Eugene is a college town, full of liberal, communist thinkers. (This is a fairly accurate assessment from my viewpoint.)

Josh McDaniels may be the guy. He is a good quarterback coach, the historic basis of Oregon's scheme. I like Charlie Strong...may be a hard sell, but he had no chance with Texas hypocrisy.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oregon's Helfrich Out

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:46 am

I don't think college coaches care about liberal thinkers. They look for places they can win. Oregon has top notch facilities. They have great community support for their team. They have a lot to "sell" to recruits. I wasn't a huge Helfrich fan as a head coach, but I wouldn't regard him as a terrible head coach. Recuiting is a 24/7 business as a college head coach and if you swing and miss on a couple. Assess a few wrong and you can have a couple years of bad play on the field. If he doesn't find work as a head coach, I would absolutely like to see Urban Meyer hire him as a quarterback coach/offensive coordinator at Ohio State. Oregon had high expectations and he delivered for several years, but this is a "what have you done for me lately business" and people can be short sighted when it comes to sports.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Spence wrote:Recuiting is a 24/7 business as a college head coach and if you swing and miss on a couple. Assess a few wrong and you can have a couple years of bad play on the field.

Or in Miami's case, a decade.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:45 am

Always hard to know who is on the list for coaches but the names being bandied about are not head coaches and not coaches from large programs. If that is the case then Oregon is doomed. Oregon is major program that entails so much more than coaching football. The administration of a large money program can be a killer. That takes experience. I suspect current talk is just that. As soon as the season is over for some teams, there will be some coaches available. Few small school coaches can step up to big programs with success. (Petersen seems to be an exception.)

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:07 pm

I've heard 3 names tossed about with regards to the Oregon job.

Greg Schiano
PJ Fleck
Bryan Harsin

Harsin's name seems to come up casually, so I don't believe he's the guy ... or at least, not the #1 guy.

Fleck & Schiano are being debated as to whom would be the better fit. So, I'd expect to hear of either interviews with these gentlemen, or that they declined an offer to meet with the people in Eugene --- However, if the Ducks actually want to bargin with Fleck, they'd better get to it. As I understand it, he is currently in negotiations with Purdue.

But, Oregon is kind of side stepping, as they have relegated the responsibility of finding their next coach over to Parker Executive Search Firm.

A couple of other names on the short list being mentioned, are; Florida coach Jim McElwain and Penn State's James Franklin.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Schiano has definitely talked to Oregon. He would be a 180 degree switch in philosophies for Oregon, but I think he is a good coach. He would definitely bring a different philosophy to the PAC12 then they are used to seeing. He is of the Mark Dantonio philosophy.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Spence wrote:Schiano has definitely talked to Oregon. He would be a 180 degree switch in philosophies for Oregon, but I think he is a good coach. He would definitely bring a different philosophy to the PAC12 then they are used to seeing. He is of the Mark Dantonio philosophy.

What I'm hearing is that a more Defense oriented approach, is what Oregon wants. Or, a coach who wants to emphasize that Defense is not unimportant.

I believe the Big Offense cost is turning around.

Levitt at Colorado as D-Coordinator has the Buffaloes playing on a different level. And they are playing for the Pac-12 Title, right now as I type this.

Washington, under Petersen, has become a balanced program, and has the Huskies playing on the other side of the field in this very same game.

As such; the Pac-12 Championship Game is showcasing the two teams with the Best defensive stats in the Conference this year.

Stanford, with Shaw, has competed & won the Pac with Strong D Football. Unfortunately, his defensive mind has forgotten the importance of a mixed Offense, as each of the last two seasons, the Cardinal had become a little too predictable, with an almost "One-trick-Pony" scheme.

Though, it isn't hard to see the writing on the wall, here. The Pac-12 is learning, that without a solid Defense, you likely won't have Championship Success.

The Big XII needs to take notice. Because, the era of all Offense is starting to dwindle.

Cane... [__]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:19 am

I've always believed that great defense is a key in having a good offense. If you look at the great Florida State and Miami teams, they scored lots for points and people talked about their offenses, but their defense's were amazing. They tipped the scales that made those teams great.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:03 am

The problem at Oregon is they have no philosophy. Kelley left and the desire for instant wins when they had no QB led to a rudderless ship. Like most big issues, the AD need to have a clue. They are going to ask a new coach to come in give them guidance. No happening with anyone mentioned. They need more than a coach...I may be wrong, but there will just be talk until the season is over for some coach that is still in the bowl hunt.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:50 pm

donovan wrote:The problem at Oregon is they have no philosophy. Kelley left and the desire for instant wins when they had no QB led to a rudderless ship. Like most big issues, the AD need to have a clue. They are going to ask a new coach to come in give them guidance. No happening with anyone mentioned. They need more than a coach...I may be wrong, but there will just be talk until the season is over for some coach that is still in the bowl hunt.

Schiano could give them that, but his philosophies are more foundation building and I'm not sure Oregon will except that sort of process. They need a group committed to building relationships with high schools, they need a group committed to building teams from the lines out. skill players are important, but all the programs that sustain without major rebuilding are committed to having strong foundations year in a year out. They are solid not only with the starters but in depth. Oregon, at least in my opinion, was more about the quick fix. I think that is why Kelly and Helfrich never won a championship with them. The were built vertically before they were solid horizontally. Schiano has experience at building teams from the ground up, but one thing Schiano has never
been is flashy. His teams are more boring to watch. I think that is why he decided to spend this year with Meyer, even though I think Schiano's influence has been more noticeable that Meyer's flash.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Spence wrote:I've always believed that great defense is a key in having a good offense. If you look at the great Florida State and Miami teams, they scored lots for points and people talked about their offenses, but their defense's were amazing. They tipped the scales that made those teams great.

Yeah Spence, that is exactly right.

Those teams had excellent defenses, which either created many turnovers, or they forced punting situations where their opponents were kicking from deep on their own side of the field.

Short fields are easier to score from. And that puts a whole lot of pressure on the opposing teams offense. Which makes turnovers even more likely.

The guys on the other side of the field, would have their defense on the grass much longer, and that causes fatigue.

Since then, programs who've designed themselves off of this foundation, have been successful, and generally had a string of consecutive + win seasons.

Cane... [__]

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 am

I would take Fleck if it were my decision. And I don't think Fleck should take a job like Purdue. Why? So he can build up another program and garner much attention after 4 or 5 years then go to a headline university and do it again!?!? If I were his agent my plan would be to go big or stay home another year.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 pm

What are you guys thoughts on McElwain going to Oregon??
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Derek wrote:What are you guys thoughts on McElwain going to Oregon??

Do you think he would make that move?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Derek wrote:What are you guys thoughts on McElwain going to Oregon??

He is from the West, went to school at Eastern Washington, so he knows there are better places to live than Florida. Not a chance he is leaving the Southeastern Conference for the Pac 12.

Return to “General Discussion”