Brian Kelly?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Brian Kelly?

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:34 am

What the heck is wrong with this guy. Is he trying to get a raise? Trying to get fired. His AD said a few weeks ago that he is going to be on the sodelines for ND next year and this guy leaks he is exploring his options. If I'm the AD I would give him his freedom. After the way he has acted, who would want him. He blames his players, coaches, and the referees every time he loses. He just does seem like a quality person to me.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Re: Brian Kelly?

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 am

Something weird is going on. Sounds like he wants to get out of dodge. But "sources" say he wants to stay. "Rumors" say that the players are tired of being berated by him all of the time. But to the media they sound extremely supportive of Kelly. Who knows what is going on.

I will say that he has been successful everywhere he's been, and that includes Notre Dame. ND wants to show off how great they are, but it's tough to get beyond 8-4 when you're playing these extremely difficult schedules. I'd recommend lightening up maybe by 2 games or so. But that's impossible to do when they play 5 ACC teams plus Stanford and USC and Navy and (usually) Michigan State and then some prime-time early season game. I mean, look at this schedule next year:

vs. Temple
vs. Georgia
@ Boston College
@ Michigan State
vs. Miami OH
at North Carolina
vs. USC
vs. NC State
vs. Wake Forest
@ Miami
vs. Navy
@ Stanford

I mean Navy and Wake and Temple aren't even pushovers. Those are bowl-material teams now with Wake on the upswing. Temple is 9-3 again this year and looking strong. NC State and BC aren't great, but they are capable of providing stiff challenges. There's never any let up with ND's schedules anymore. I always remember them playing some high profile slates, but they were wise to throw some bad Syracuse teams or a UConn in there once in a while. This slate is like somebody from the Big 10 or ACC or Big 12 getting 10 conference games, with no Kansas-tier scrimmages. One sacrificial lamb on this slate in Miami OH, that's it. Compare it to some Pac-12 teams who get a Big Sky team and a bad MWC team for tune ups or how the SEC schedules some teams from the Southern Conference or the Sun Belt to prepare for the road ahead.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:05 am

I don't know how you lighten your load when you are an independent. The whole reason we allow teams who aren't conference champions is there for Notre Dame. They should join the ACC as a full member and quit thinking they are special because that ship has sailed.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 am

Notre Dame loses money if they join a conference, in real dollars and in keeping their large nationwide fan base involved.
BYU loses rerun rights to their games and to a lesser extent does not satisfy a nationwide fan base.
Army doesn't care about money, has a great nationwide fan base and is always in the spotlight even when they lose. Army-Navy is going to be televised nationally even if both teams suck.

UMass I think is fulfilling some contractual obligations for the next year or so, then they will join something.

Like my point of if you are a member, you should get a ticket for the drawing and have an equal chance to win the prize. If you are not a member, you don't get a ticket.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Tukedak the commonality of the football world itself ... if it is about money, generally speaking, with regards to conference play & post season positioning; why then would Notre Dame's joining a conference bring any more stability to the system at hand, when Notre Dame is doing what all the conference's are doing, just, on there own?

They may not be the football machine they once were --- but Notre Dame is still a huge Money Draw, even when they lose --- maybe to some degree, even more so when they lose.

They have a gigantic fan base, and a massive following of people who tune in with hopes to watch them get beat. They are, quite possibly, the most polarizing team in College Football that way.

And, if being in a conference is suppose to ensure the security of your program's financial state; why should Notre Dame even care?

I do not like Notre Dame, for my own personal reasons. [to the extent I chose not to attend there for my college education {though, I did take the tour as a senior in high school, as part of that tour we walked out onto the football field through victory tunnel, I did so wearing my Miami Hurricanes jacket :twisted: }]

However, regardless of my despise toward the university, I do not have a problem with their independent status. People who do, usually tag the line, they should play by the rules, just as everyone else does.

My only objection to that, is ... what exactly are the rules that we are differing to?

The NCAA makes hypocritical rules, and enforces them, by taking a conscientious observer attitude when it comes to direct scheduling & conference alignment behavior.

If the rest of the country can act as a free enterprise with regards to their athletics, then Notre Dame should be able to as well. Which is precisely what they do. And, they are playing by the rules ... Money First.

As for Brian Kelly ... maybe it has something to do with the NCAA sanctions that are presently piling up on the Irish. Could be a Pete Carol getting out while the getting is good sort of thing.

Academic Fraud is something the NCAA will not over look. And just how far rooted this goes is yet to be seen -- they've already stripped ND of 11 wins. It very well could be that something bigger is on the way -- scholarship reductions, possibly?

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:40 pm

I don't think the sanctions are going to amount to much (nor do I think they should). This doesn't seem to be institutional. It mostly looks to be a student led scandal and the school appears to have self reported without proding. I get the games, that takes away the accomplishments of the offending students. The current staff and players should not suffer.

Return to “General Discussion”