The "other" playoff

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

The "other" playoff

Postby highfly24 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 pm

This weekend the FCS playoffs begin. 24 teams, 8 with a 1st round bye, and the 10 conferences wanting to participate all get an auto bid for their conf champion. I wish they hadn't pushed the title game to the middle of January but got a nice TV contract so nothing else matters. Obviously, North Dakota State is the favorites as they are 5 time champs, #1 seeds, beat Iowa, and only lost to co-Missouri Valley champs South Dakota State. I dont see SDSU beating them again, and Sam Houston State does not have the defense to beat them. If James Madison gets to the semi's it would be a very good game with NDSU and the only real threat.

On the other side of the bracket, I watched some of Richmond this weekend and they lost their QB right before half with a torn ACL. Without him, I dont see them beating North Dakota in the 2nd round. I think Jacksonville State has a great chance to return to the title game, and they would get blasted again by either NDSU or JMU. Youngstown could upset them in the second round, but they have been inconsistent. Illinois State squeaked in with the aid of wins over Northwestern and co-champ South Dakota State. They finished strong winning 3 straight and 2 over top 15 teams. I like their chances to beat Central Arkansas setting up a game at Eastern Washington. ISU won in the playoffs on the red turf 2 years ago but I dont like their chances this time around.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The "other" playoff

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:20 am

not a whole lot of national interest in the FCS playoff.....

Most people don't know that Sam Houston State is #1 in the Coaches Poll...or who #2 is.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:24 am

They don't care, or know. I have been going to Linfield college games this year, when the weather is good. They are in D3 and in the quarter-finals this Sat. They play M Hardin-Baylor who is 10-0. Linfield is 9-0. The game is in Texas so not going, but it has been some scrappy football. But check out the stadiums...

Mary-Hardin-Baylor

Linfield

Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Western Carolina is a drive through the gorge from our cabin....football is football...I recognize that they won't play at a certain level,,,,in fact, they have lost 8 games this year..but tickets are readily available..

The stadium looks like a high school stadium...in fact, it reminds me of small town Niceville, Fl's high school stadium.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Your are correct. Kids play hard. Fans coach the whole game and as many of these games have very few away fans, they treat the kids like they would want their kids treated.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:03 pm

If you watch two well matched teams, be they FCS or Div II...it looks like a good game....you do recognize that if you replaced one of the teams with a a top FBS squad...the game would look quite different.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:13 am

EWU is my favorite team in this. Cooper Kupp is must-watch TV :lol: . I want him if I'm an NFL team and looking for some receiver help (also Corey Davis of WMU is going to be a stud).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”