Ohio State - TTUN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ohio State - TTUN

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:53 am

I will say this again. I don't think any team that doesn't win their conference should be in the playoff and if Ohio State gets in it will be wrong.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:58 am

I don't get what is so hard about making a "tournament of champions." It's extremely doable and you won't have any anti-trust complaints. Equal access. Every team has a path in their control.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:02 am

Ohio State is flat-out in the field. There's no way they can drop out. They were already #2 in the rankings and the just knocked out the (supposed) #3 team. Nobody is going to leapfrog them other than Clemson once they win the ACC title game, and then they're still #3. If Penn State or Wisconsin fans complain, then the committee won't care.

I will say that it's ironic since, in 2014, Ohio State fans were saying that they deserved to be #4 instead of TCU and Baylor since they were co-champs. Of course the caveat there was that they had no more than 1 loss each.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 am

I don't think they will drop them this week, but I think that whoever wins the Big10 championship should just them next week.

Ohio State will be sitting home watching while the champions are crowned. How can they go? They shouldn't. I am good with the Rose and knocking Michigan out of the playoff.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:28 am

The committee hates Washington because they didn't schedule a difficult non-conference game. They really hold that against teams. With Ohio State's 3 wins over the CFP top 10, they will never fall below Washington, so they're guaranteed to be #3. The committee will decide between Washington and the Big 10 winner for 4th.

If Penn State or Wisconsin get Alabama, they're going to get bludgeoned. Washington might have a spark and therefore a chance. I'd rather trust Jake Browning and Myles Gaskin and their great receivers to get lucky and make a couple of plays to keep them in the mix. PSU and Wisky's offense will be lucky to score 10 points. They will be outscored by Alabama's defense/special teams.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:38 am

I'm not sure the criteria for getting in should be how you will look against Alabama. I don't know what the committee will do. All I know is if you don't win your conference you shouldn't claim to be one of the top 4 teams.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 am

This was one of those games where it was difficult to be impressed with either team.....unless you appreciate defense.

The quarterbacking for Michigan, and somewhat for OSU, did not look great.

Man! Harbaugh was bitter after the game...calling the "spot" out as being "outrageous"....I looked at it, like we all did, and it was very close either way.

Michigan had plenty of chances to win that game. Kind of like FSU vs Clemson where the call pretty much cost them the game...and Jimbo was as bitter.

There is a lot of pressure on coaches to win.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:01 am

There is a lot of pressure to win. I think that is takes away from the play on the field when you start blaming the officials. Harbaugh had a point with a couple of his complaints. A couple he didn't. He even was complaining about holding on the line, though. That is a bush league move, not one from a coach. I just wonder if he did it on purpose to get his younger players to go to that next level next next year. That is kind of his style. I think the whole Speight injury thing was like that. Leaking a broken collarbone, then releasing little hints his guy my play.

I do think Harbaugh thinks way to much of Speight.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:03 am

Wasn't a bad game to watch when you didn't have either of those stocks in your portfolio. Was what I call, in my mind, a primary game as I flip channels to see others being aired. Coaches have always complained about calls but times have changed. I used to never know any scores, other than the game I watched until we got the Sunday paper and I grabbed the sports section. Now a coach complains about a spot,and I get to see the placing of the ball 546 times while the coach gets a fine of $12,154 for gripping about it. We call this progress.

P. S. Sometimes, especially with baseball, you didn't get the boxscore of a game until two days later if the game went into extra innings and was after the paper's deadline.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:04 pm

A little history on The Game for those who think the last 16 years with Ohio State coming out ahead make the rivalry over.

From 1897 to 1918 Michigan won 13 times and there were 2 ties. The schools started meeting every year after 1918. 1919-1950 the record was 18-12 Michigan making the over all record 31-12-4 with Michigan dominating. Then came Woody Hayes. From 1951-1978 record was 16-11-1 Ohio State. The last ten years being the 10 year war between Woody and Bo The rivalry started to heat up. The over all record went to 42-28-3. Earle Bruce came next for Ohio State. He went 5-4 against Bo to make the over all record 45-33-3. Earle never really got his due as a Buckeye coach partly due to the fans holding up Woody as the standard. Next up for the Buckeyes came John Cooper. Cooper had his issues and set the rivalry back for Ohio State. He just couldn't beat Michigan and Michigan reasserted their dominance going 10-2-1 against Ohio State bringing the over all record to 52-33-4. Putting Ohio State 22 games back and single handedly erasing what Woody and Earle accomplished. Jim Tressel was up next. He guaranteed beating Michigan the first year and he put some teeth back into the rivalry. Tressel went 9-2 against the Michigan but the 2010 game was vacated due to the tattoo scandal that got Tressel banned from college football so that game didn't count for either team. That brought the over all record to 54-41-2. Then came Urban Meyer who is the present coach and he has won 5 straight. That brings us to the present record of 58-48-6. Not a bad rivalry for a couple of teams playing 106 games over 119 years. Just going to show that Ohio State's recent success doesn't make this less of a rivalry, it has just enhanced it. Since I went to my first game as a boy the record is Ohio State 26 Michigan 21 and 2 ties with one vacated game. I am older than you Eric but I have had many ups and downs in this rivalry. I understand the frustration more than you know. That is what makes this game so great for fans from both schools.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:09 am

Bump :lol:

Well, I was wrong about O'Korn. :shock:

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:51 am

Even from a Michigan fan, I think we know how this one plays out. I might not even be able to bring myself to watch it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 am

I don't know why everyone thinks this game is over before it starts. It has rarely every been that way. Blue has a defense. If Peters plays then they have a QB who can pick apart the middle of a defense and If they can muster a little running game, they can score. Ohio State is going to have a tough time scoring on Blue. They can press on defense and load the box. They are hard to mount a drive against. They are susceptible to giving up a big play if a corner gets beat or a running back gets behind the dline on a blitz. Ohio State has proved more than once this year that they don't have a kicker. Their punt and especially their kick coverage is horrible. They will be motivated. Ohio State's only motivation in this game is an eyelash chance they can win the last two and make the playoffs. This game will be tight. If O'Korn is the QB Ohio State will probably win a close one. If Peters is the QB, Ohio State will probably lose, but it isn't about their offense. It is about their defense. Ohio State isn't a good team. They are a team with a load of talent who are a few players away. The defensive lone is good. The linebackers are ok. The db's are very inexperienced except for one and their technique will get them in trouble. Blue has Peoples-Jones who is a star and can break on any time. If this is a 14 or more point differential, Ohio State won't be the team on top.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:25 pm

I agree ...

All I heard up until post game on the 11th, was how the Irish would overwhelm the Hurricanes, and pull away. You could even tell there was sarcasm hidden in the undertone voices of the talking heads, who read the script, that predicted notre dame to win by a close margin.

None of them believed that Miami would give the domers half a game.

Heck! Even I hadn't anticipated winning the game until earlier in the day. I was prepared for a loss. And even told my brother the week before, prior to the Va Tech game, that if Miami could manage to win just one of those 2 games I would be satisfied. Then I told him, if we lose one of those games, then finish undefeated, having Clemson beat us in the ACC title game, I prefer it, so that we can get a potential New Years Six bowl, and win; rather than get blown out in a playoff game.

Now, after having won both of those games, dominating ND, and looking like a real contender; I'm trying to maintain some sense of rationale, because I haven't got a clue as to how well we actually can finish.

And, yes ... experiencing so many letdown years, games and underachievement, you kind of become otherwise desensitized by the would-be possibilities.

Never take a rivalry for granted, though. No matter how bad things sometimes seem; it just takes one motivated day to flip the table on the other guy.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm going to have to find that convo we had, Cane, about Miami vs. Michigan, how I said I would rather be Miami right now :lol: . Although to be fair, you were probably in the right since that was the last year of the Al Golden regime if my memory serves me correctly.

I would have picked Notre Dame, but I wasn't shocked Miami won that game. They actually have some bravado again. Notre Dame in a road environment like that wasn't up to snuff. And they're never going to be in a playoff if they continue playing these ridiculous schedules. Which, taken as a whole, isn't necessarily more difficult than some Power 5 teams, but the problem is that there's no let up. ND's easiest game was against an average MAC team in Miami OH. Even Temple and Navy can't be taken for granted.

Return to “General Discussion”