Ohio State - TTUN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Ohio State - TTUN

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Well I said Buckeyes by 10. I was close. UM stands for Urban's Mystique!!! Another season I have to wait for The Game...

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:10 pm

I'm an Ohio State fan now. :mrgreen:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:17 pm

Michigan is good-to-great at every position except for the most important one. So this team has a ceiling and I consider it a lost season. If we had a decent QB we could have won this game (and should have won it). But our QB is terrible, so we lost. Now we move on to next year, where we'll probably have another 50/50 chance at winning, but we'll probably lose that game in a close fashion again. So what will that make it, 13 out of 14? And then the next year, probably dicey again. If Harbaugh goes 1-4 vs Ohio State during his tenure here he will become a folk hero. His replacement, after he decides that his work is done here and that it's now time for him to win a Super Bowl, can then go 0-6 before we fire him for failing, since beating Ohio State once is this impossible Herculean task.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Refs were terrible, BTW. I don't get the spot on the 4th and 1 play. Obviously there was forward progress involved at some point, but the ball never got beyond the (aherm) rear of the guard or TE or whoever he was. The ball hit a "wall" so to speak. It seemed like his rear was, at most, right on the line to make. I don't get the generous spot.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I was feeling the same about the spot also. However and even coming from a Michigan fan, I feel the Wolverines offense in the second half wasn't great. Also, composure, penalties, playing not to lose instead of playing to win, and all the related areas. I saw once, maybe twice, where Ohio State lost the ball and a few seconds later, the Buckeyes had it again. I agree with UM needing the most important position filled with someone that can make plays. The fumble lost by Michigan didn't help either... that close to the end zone. Interceptions didn't help the cause.

I sat there watching the game... thinking... How are other good to great teams playing so disciplined?

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:21 pm

I just want somebody to explain to me why they can't beat Ohio State. There has to be a football-related reason. I understand OSU has been much better in certain years, but come on. We're 3-14 since 2000. Is it mostly random? If so, this is just cruel. It's not quite analogous to flipping a coin head/tails, but maybe like a die, let's give Ohio State 4 faces out of 6, we're still under-performing relative to that (66% vs. 82% winning percentage). I mean we oscillate between getting our doors blown off and getting our hearts ripped out. I'm tired of it. And you can't properly describe this as a rivalry until the other half starts to pull their own weight (which means, actually winning once in a blue moon).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 pm

I agree that if Michigan had a quarterback they probably win that game. It also would have been nice if the Ohio State kicker could make a chip shot. Ohio State's problem has been the same all year. The offensive line, especially the right tackle has played terrible on pass pro. It has caused a problem with JT. He feels rushed even when he isn't rushed. Credit in this game to the Michigan dline, but this has been a problem all year. They exploited it. Ohio State basically had no offense in the first half. Not much in the second half. It is a real issue and it is why the Buckeyes aren't undefeated.

The Buckeye defense play well most of the time. They allowed the tight ends more than they should have, but mostly played well. Meyer's going for the fake was a good call. Had Hubbard sealed his block, that works.

I fell you Eric. I remember the Cooper years and it was the same. Gordan Gee even called the tie "one of Ohio State's greatest wins". It was heartache every year. I do thing you have the right coach. I know Buckeye fans all hate him. We didn't hate Richrod or Hoke. We mostly laughed at them. Harbaugh can recruit and he is a good coach. He his purging most of Hoke's guys who only knew how to lose. I think your boys will be alright.

And don't give me any of the "I'm a Buckeye" crap. You know you can't change something that is so much a part of you. I can't say I hope Harbaugh turns it around, but I think he will. I think he already has turned it around.

I don't think we go to the playoff after all is said and done, but I really don't care. We won the game we needed to win. Everything else is gravy.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 pm

It's a little tongue-in-cheek :D . My avatar will be Western Michigan after tomorrow 8) (which means they'll lose to Ohio and miss out on the Cotton Bowl, of course).

Ohio State's in the field. They can't be justifiably left out. You can't put in Penn State since their schedule is a joke. They lost to Pitt and Michigan, beat Iowa and Ohio State. That's it as far as very good teams go (beating Temple and Minnesota are their next two best wins). Wisconsin at least has a win against LSU on their resume in addition to Iowa and Nebraska and (presumably) Penn State, plus a loss to Ohio State. Ohio State has a win over Michigan and Oklahoma and Wisconsin. Their resume will be too strong, although it's kind of a a rip-off that they can sneak into the playoff without playing that extra game. They're benefiting from not winning their division.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

The problem with the Harbaugh era is that nothing is lining up to our advantage. Michigan wasn't ready to take on a good Ohio State team (as far as their defense went), and Ohio State had a RB that is right now destroying the NFL. Bad matchup. In the second go-around, Ohio State plays terribly for 3 quarters, but they ultimately have home field advantage. We are so close to having a complete team, except for the most important position in football. Of course it costs us this game. Now we go back to Ann Arbor, so our odds are better, right? Sounds great, right? Except, Ohio State returns virtually everyone and will be much better than they were this year while we lose 11 of our top defensive players plus all of our pass-catching threats. Let me go down the list: Charlton, Stribling, Peppers, Lewis, Hill, Clark, Thomas, McCray, Gedeon, Glasgow, Wormley, Butt, Chesson, Darboh, Allen (our K), De'Veon Smith, and 3/5 of our offensive line). Oh, but at least we get Wilton Speight back! We look really formidable next year! :roll:

We're going to be 8-4 next year and the suffering will continue. I guess 2018 might be our year. Hopefully we find a new QB who can successfully grow into the role for that season. Oh, but like I said, nothing is lining up in this rivalry, because then we'll be back in the Horseshoe for that game and we haven't won there since Y2K :roll:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:20 pm

If Speight is our starter next year, may God have mercy on our souls. People think he was "efficient" this season and did what he had to do for the most part, but wait until you see what happens when his security blankets are taken away. Talk about being exposed.

This is what drives me nuts about this season. I still firmly believe that, if O'Korn was given the chance to grow into the role in September, we might be undefeated right now. He would have had ample time to figure out the offense and develop into a better player. His game against Indiana was a raw deal, I think he would have been better if he was given a chance to gain more experience. Harbaugh chose Speight, and he'll still be partial to him next year since he's a returning starter. We need a graduate transfer or something. Why does Eastern Washington, Central Michigan, Western Michigan, and others have better QBs than we do? How is that even possible?

If we could make a trade, I'd work something out with EWU for Gage Gubrud. The guy is a sophomore and is way better than anybody on our roster. Think about that for a minute: Eastern Washington's 3rd string QB from 2015 is better than every QB on the University of Michigan's roster. He's a small guy out of somewhere nobody's heard of in Oregon and he can play pitch and catch all over the field while our 4-star rated QB stands around in the pocket and can't throw a football farther than 10 yards downfield at a time.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:54 pm

2006- Ohio State had three turnovers. Still won that game. Michigan was just about ready to force a punt late in the game. Then a penalty. Today penalties, turnovers, etc. Sealed the deal for Michigan. The last time Michigan beat OSU, what kind of QB did Michigan have? Not saying that is the main factor. Is a rivalry still a rivalry when it is so lopsided?

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:01 pm

The 2006 game was also completely overrated. Michigan was constantly chasing an extra touchdown during most of the second half. They'd be down 14, then 7. Then 14, then 7. Then 14, then 7. Then they failed to convert an onside kick late (not a lot of drama, good onside kicks are like what, 10% conversion rate?). The first half was tense, but it was not a nailbiter. The team wasn't quite as good as advertised either. We almost were beaten by Ball State the week before (coached by Brady Hoke, no less).

I've said this elsewhere, but our last win came in 2011, at home, with one of our best teams in the last decade against one of the worst Ohio State teams in the last 20 years with an interim coach on the heels of Tresselgate. And it still took us everything we had to win the game :lol:

We're so pathetic :cry:

And to answer your last question: No.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:31 pm

Eric wrote:
If we could make a trade, I'd work something out with EWU for Gage Gubrud. The guy is a sophomore and is way better than anybody on our roster. Think about that for a minute: Eastern Washington's 3rd string QB from 2015 is better than every QB on the University of Michigan's roster. He's a small guy out of somewhere nobody's heard of in Oregon and he can play pitch and catch all over the field while our 4-star rated QB stands around in the pocket and can't throw a football farther than 10 yards downfield at a time.

McMininnville, home of Linfield College who lost to Mary Hardin Baylor in the quarter D3 playoff.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:37 pm

donovan wrote:
Eric wrote:

McMininnville, home of Linfield College who lost to Mary Hardin Baylor in the quarter D3 playoff.

Didn't know that. Wiki says it has over 30k in population. I guess it's not nowheresville :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am

I think O'Korn would have caused us problems if he would have started today. I was hoping Speight would start. I was just exasperated with how bad we played at right tackle. If you think he was bad on tv you should see him in person. He doesn't seem to be able to read a defense and know who he is supposed to block. He blocks air so often you think he is chasing ghosts or seeing things. He has Barrett feeling the heat whether it is there or not.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”