Now...My Random Thoughts

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Now...My Random Thoughts

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:02 am

Just tons of randomness here. I was telling the wife that I wanted chaos to happen. Well, it did.

Go ahead and give Alabama the national title. Just do it.

Washington, Clemson, Virginia Tech all lose at home. The teams they lost to were sort of inferior, based on records, but also dangerous.

Michigan loses a tough one at Iowa. As does the loss the Buckeyes had at Penn State.

I went to the VT at Duke game a week ago. I thought that "playing not to lose" crap went out the door with Beamer.

All of these teams that "had a chance". Auburn loses. Texas A&M loses.

Does losing late still matter? Clemson lost later than Louisville but Clemson beat Louisville.

So will the top 4 be Alabama, Ohio State, ... heck, who knows.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Now...My Random Thoughts

Postby WoVeU » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:49 am

Bama #1 and the Buckeyes #2, I think that much is clear.

Then what??
Louisville lost to Clemson. Many, including myself, think the Cards were always better. But each has 1 loss and Clemson beat them.
Michigan lost to a not good Iowa, a team that lost to #4 ND St (in the FCS).
You can't put the Badgers above Michigan, as they have 2 losses and lost to Michigan....no way!
Penn State has 2 losses, lower quality losses than Wisconsin's.

I don't see a 2-loss team going ahead of 1-loss Michigan, Clemson, or Wash St. Gicen their loss quality I think it will be...
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Louisville
4. Washington
5. Clemson
6. Michigan
7. Wisconsin
8. Penn State
9. Oklahoma
10. WVU/Ok St./Colorado
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:22 am

And, 2 loss Penn State holding the win over Ohio State makes the B1G really jumbled.

Right now, the Wolverines with 1 loss will go to the conference championship game, if they beat the Buckeyes. On-the-Other-Hand, if OSU should beat Michigan, Penn State will go to the Big Ten Title Game, do to the head-to-head win over the Bucks.

Should that happen, then with the Badgers' win they hold over Nebraska, the Big !0 Championship would be, Wisconsin vs. Penn St.

And your projection of Ohio State being #2 would still almost certainly hold true.

Wisconsin (2 conference losses) has Purdue & Minnesota left to play
Nebraska (2 conference losses) has Maryland & Iowa left to play

Michigan (1 conference loss) has Indiana & Ohio State left to play
Penn State (1 conference loss) has Rutgers & Michigan State left
Ohio State (1 conference loss) has Michigan State & Michigan left

Now would be a really messed up time for MSU to pull a jerk move, and play the best football of their year, winning their last two games.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:10 pm

I think Michigan State has it in them to beat Ohio State. I don't think it's necessarily likely, but they aren't nearly as terrible as their record indicates. They've lost some tight games and their defense has been having some growing pains. I know it was Rutgers, but maybe putting a 49-0 win on the board is enough to let them mentally right the ship and get ready to go. They aren't bowling this year, so this will suffice as their bowl game.

As for Michigan, it seems Speight is out for the year with a collarbone injury. Normally this would derail a team's season, but I'm confident that our backup QB is actually better than our starter. I'm not saying it's great that the poor kid's season is over or anything like that, but I expect Michigan's passing game to improve with O'Korn as the starter. Harbaugh was so stuck on doing the unconventional thing by playing Speight. He has the right "tools" and does the little things that he thinks helps win games at the QB position. Bottom line: O'Korn can throw the football downfield and Speight can't. And he can run a little bit.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:13 pm

I was actually coming here to rant about Speight's performance, but with the news that just came out this afternoon, I figured that would be in bad taste. :oops:

I will say that Darboh/Chesson/Butt make up probably a top 5 receiver trio in the nation, right up there with Clemson as far as I'm concerned. And our passing game was absolutely miserable against Iowa on Saturday. Of course the running game completely evaporated, but that wouldn't be a problem if he had a passing attack. At least we'd have a chance of surviving that game. When the cushion was taken away, the passing game was exposed. So, all that being said, O'Korn has one game to get ready for Ohio State and hopefully he's "on" because Indiana isn't a pushover. I'm not implying that this game is a tuneup, but with it being at home and with the Hoosiers' defense being pretty soft, it's a game we should win.

Should. :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:36 pm

Eric wrote:I think Michigan State has it in them to beat Ohio State. I don't think it's necessarily likely, but they aren't nearly as terrible as their record indicates. They've lost some tight games and their defense has been having some growing pains. I know it was Rutgers, but maybe putting a 49-0 win on the board is enough to let them mentally right the ship and get ready to go. They aren't bowling this year, so this will suffice as their bowl game.

As for Michigan, it seems Speight is out for the year with a collarbone injury. Normally this would derail a team's season, but I'm confident that our backup QB is actually better than our starter. I'm not saying it's great that the poor kid's season is over or anything like that, but I expect Michigan's passing game to improve with O'Korn as the starter. Harbaugh was so stuck on doing the unconventional thing by playing Speight. He has the right "tools" and does the little things that he thinks helps win games at the QB position. Bottom line: O'Korn can throw the football downfield and Speight can't. And he can run a little bit.

I agree that O'Korn is a better player. I actually told one of my friends today that I wish we were going against Speight. Michigan State has the ability to beat Ohio State or Penn State, but they won't beat Penn State at home. I originally thought that Ohio State was going down in Columbus against Michigan. I know think they will have the ability to move the ball on them. The big thing that concerns me is Ohio State's offensive front against Michigan's defensive front. Last year Michigan's defense was young and hungry, but inexperienced. That is Ohio State this year. Michigan has the veteran D this year. If they can force a bunch of 3 and outs, especially early, they can make Ohio State look like Rutgers. If Ohio State can get the ball to Samuel in space and Webber can hand tough on the inside then I like Ohio State's chances.

The big thing I noticed before this week is that all Michigan's tough games (until this week) came in front of a friendly crowd. I think if Ohio State can keep the crowd in it then the Buckeyes can win the game. Either way, it should be what Ohio State and Michigan should be - a defensive game wrapped around a few offensive highlights. It will be fun.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:33 pm

All I know is that Ohio State's power spread running game always gives Michigan fits. We can't tackle their RBs in space and they probably get 5-6 yards a carry. Luckily for us, we don't have to deal with Ezekiel Elliot this time 8)

I'm still spotting Ohio State 35 points and 530 yards of offense :cry: . It's up to our offense to match it.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Eric wrote:All I know is that Ohio State's power spread running game always gives Michigan fits. We can't tackle their RBs in space and they probably get 5-6 yards a carry. Luckily for us, we don't have to deal with Ezekiel Elliot this time 8)

I'm still spotting Ohio State 35 points and 530 yards of offense :cry: . It's up to our offense to match it.

I thought they had that covered this year but the Iowa game made me think Ohio State could win the game. Ohio State isn't as explosive on Offense as they have been because of the receivers not being able to separate. If teams couldn't put that extra player in the box, the offense would purr. Michigan as the athletes to press us and keep that extra guy in the box. That will make for hard yards for Webber and Ohio State looking to be more creative with Samuel. I don't think Michigan's offense will have a chance if Ohio State scores 35. I also don't think they will score 35. I'm looking at 28-17 type game with plenty of angst both ways. That said if either defense turns field position on its ear or gets a couple easy T/O score in could be a 35-10 type of game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”