4 - 3 - 2 --- But Not 1

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Re: 4 - 3 - 2 --- But Not 1

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:19 pm

I think Ohio State is likely to get in, especially if they add a win over Michigan onto their resume. I think right now, you'll see the CFP go with:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Louisville
6. Washington

Washington will have the opportunity to jump ahead of Louisville and the Michigan/Ohio State loser. Louisville is going to be at the mercy of how the committee treats Washington or the Big 10 champ (provided it's not Michigan or Ohio State). They'll be tempted to put the Big 10 champ in over Washington, but they also don't want to put the Big 10 Champ, if they have 2 losses, in over Ohio State.

I'm not even sure that it matters considering how much better Alabama is than everybody else right now :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 pm

I say Michigan will still be at #4 because of their wins against Wisconsin, Penn State, and Colorado. The downside of those victories, IMO, is that I think they're all a little overrated. Penn State started to come on after they had already lost to Michigan. Wisconsin has no passing game and that game earlier this year was ugly on both sides. Colorado is extremely improved, but they are not a top 10 football team.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 pm

I would love to see Louisville get a crack at Alabama if they snuck in at #4. They haven't been as dominant as they were during the first month and a half, but Lamar Jackson is the type of special athlete and one-man-show who could single-handedly beat the Tide with an amazing performance. If I they played each right now, I think I'd go with Louisville in an upset. I think they would rise to challenge.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:52 am

I don't know how they can have Clemson 2 this week. If they do then that is wrong. Maybe in a couple weeks they can get back to there, but there has to be some repercussions for losing. Fans will have a fit - and they should.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:43 pm

Sagarin SOS...

Washington...#63
Alabama......#06
Ohio Sta......#31
Clemson......#30
Michigan.....#49
Louisville.....#54
MIchigan......#49
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:25 am

They didn't have Michigan drop after losing to Iowa. So the playoff poll disregards wins or losses to determine the best teams? They will disregard conference champs, wins and losses, and just go to who they believe is the best based on their bias. I believe at some point in the past that I said this would happen. I think in a discussion with RazorHawk. If you lose to an unranked team or better yet lose at all, there should be consequences. Whether or not on paper you are better than another team shouldn't matter if you lose. In the case of Ohio State, they may go to the playoff ahead of the conference champ and a team that beat them straight up. How is that a fair way to do things? Michigan loses to Iowa - and unranked team - and doesn't drop at all. Clemson loses to an unranked team and drops 2 spots. I think they should stop pretending like playing the games matter and just seed the playoff teams in September because they can't seem to separate what they initially believed about teams with what the reality of playing the schedule tells us.

And just because my team is helped this year doesn't mean they won't be screwed another year when they are more deserving. Having a fair system is important and there is nothing fair about this system. If they are going to do this they need to scrap the committee, go to four 16-20 team conferences, have the first round of the playoffs be the conference championship, and whoever makes it makes it. It wouldn't change the games played and it would get rid of all subjectivity. Would the best teams make it to the championship game? No. So what, they rarely ever do anyway.

That is my rant of the day.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 pm

It was an interesting weekend for the committee. I understand the idea that Michigan and Clemson should have dropped further but I disagree with the concept of a loss in Sept is so much better than one in November. I would have Clemson 3 and Louisville 4 with Michigan coming in at 5 but I have no real complaint with the current order. I have a hard time putting Louisville over Clemson just because they looked better against FSU. Winning head to head has to count for something if both teams are healthy, and they were. Clemson was at home and it was a great game but I give credit to the win. Not sure any 2 loss team deserves to be ahead of the teams that finally dropped their first game of the season. At this point Alabama and at least 1 Big 10 team are locks. I think Bama needs to lose 2 to fall out of it. ACC is in good shape but not a lock just yet.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Spence wrote: If you lose to an unranked team or better yet lose at all, there should be consequences. Whether or not on paper you are better than another team shouldn't matter if you lose.

In the case of Ohio State, they may go to the playoff ahead of the conference champ and a team that beat them straight up. How is that a fair way to do things?

Michigan loses to Iowa - and unranked team - and doesn't drop at all.

Clemson loses to an unranked team and drops 2 spots.

Having a fair system is important and there is nothing fair about this system. If they are going to do this they need to scrap the committee, go to four 16-20 team conferences, have the first round of the playoffs be the conference championship, and whoever makes it makes it. It wouldn't change the games played and it would get rid of all subjectivity.

Would the best teams make it to the championship game? No. So what, they rarely ever do anyway.

Which is why this playoff format was a joke from the beginning.

Some say it is better than what we had --- but when the BCS system worked (granted, often times it did not) we got a pretty clear idea of who was #1 & #2, and why, even if one team or the other was not necessarily the best of the country.

Yep, this was going to happen, eventually. And it did not take very long. Spence, you are right, that unless we have a playoff centered around 4 conferences, this system is flawed. Which is precisely why I was against it from the start.

There are too many conferences to include a four team bracket. And, the smaller conferences got the back end of someone's hand when this system was introduced as, "Fair For Everyone", only to find out, that they would be subjugated as, "The Group of Five". And what were the mid majors in the BCS Era, are now the "Five Conferences Who Are Not Good Enough".

Then there is the "Power Five". Which, in the event that Oklahoma can win the Big !2, we know that at least one "Group of Five" is certainly a better team.

This system was flawed since its inception. And I don't for a second believe those in the construction process of its makeup had any doubt that it was, nor cared that it was.

It has been said, time & again -- both here and on the other site -- that controversy sells. The system we have now, was designed, specifically to generate just that. You simply cannot have a four team playoff, in a five conference system, while asserting to the smaller schools, that there is room for them, as though this were a ten conference inclusive tournament.

In Esse, we got exactly what they intended to give us.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:56 pm

I just believe that season should matter. How you play in your conference should matter. I do think strength of schedule should play a part as well, but more as a tie breaker. If Alabama loses the iron bowl will they even fall out of first place? I want Ohio State to win as much as anyone, but I think you should win you conference to represent them in the playoff and I also believe there shouldn't be more than one representative of a conference in the playoff. If you happen to be the second best team in your conference then you can't be the best team in the nation.

Return to “General Discussion”