Big 12 of 10?!?!?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Big 12 of 10?!?!?

Postby WoVeU » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Does anyone understand the logic of the Big 12 not expanding? I am at a loss. It must be some television thing or something because Houston, Boise St., BYU, and Cincy all have much better football programs than Kansas. I think you need a championship gamen in this era...and mass seems to be important...I don't hear anyone decrying the lousy that is Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue, and Indiana.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Big 12 of 10?!?!?

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I suggest nobody want to join a sinking ship and none of the schools that were being mentioned will right it.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 pm

They had some schools interested. But I agree the big 12 is the worst run conference in America.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:04 pm

I think I heard on the radio it is a TV deal related thing. I loved the Big 12 Champs game back when it was played. I know that expansion needs to happen. If it doesn't happen won't this conference get picked apart? Bring in some teams. They might nit be strong at first, but at least you have that champs game like the others.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:10 pm

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I think I heard on the radio it is a TV deal related thing. I loved the Big 12 Champs game back when it was played. I know that expansion needs to happen. If it doesn't happen won't this conference get picked apart? Bring in some teams. They might nit be strong at first, but at least you have that champs game like the others.

As soon as Texas bolts, and they eventually will, the Big 12 is done.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 am

donovan wrote:I suggest nobody want to join a sinking ship and none of the schools that were being mentioned will right it.

Didn't they already do that?!?!?
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:05 am

collegefbfan-8898 wrote:I think I heard on the radio it is a TV deal related thing. I loved the Big 12 Champs game back when it was played. I know that expansion needs to happen. If it doesn't happen won't this conference get picked apart? Bring in some teams. They might nit be strong at first, but at least you have that champs game like the others.

It would seem to have to be that. Boise State, whom I heard was not in the final pool being considered, and Houston would come in as top 25 caliber teams. They might post a middling record the 1st year or 2, but would be in serious contention after that.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 am

Spence wrote:

As soon as Texas bolts, and they eventually will, the Big 12 is done.

I don't know where they would go, and noneof their fans have a clue to this. I guess being independent is possible, but sustainable scheduling, IMO, becomes an issue.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm

I think if Texas jumps they will go to the PAC12. If they wanted to jump, though, all four power conferences would fawn over them. They would have no shortage of offers.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:24 pm

The PAC-12 is probably their last pick due to the 2 hour time difference in most games. Well, I guess the conference could adjust the game times, but 9PM game starts are ridiculous. The SEC would work okay if Oklahoma goes as well. Given that A&M (and Mizz) is there and they could likely schedule OK State out of conference rather easily (if the butt hurt isn't too extensive.) I don't think they would jump until they rebuild the program.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:56 pm

I think Oklahoma would like to move to the SEC if the B12 folded, I'm not so sure they would like it once they got there.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:55 am

I still expect the Big 12 to expand...if they are left out of the play offs this year...they will say.."next year we will have a conference championship game and a 13th data point like everyone else".

But...if their round robin format with an additional CCG ends up with their top team having two losses....they may look to expand and go to divisions.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:16 pm

If the TV ratings are flat, there will be widespread change. I suspect the BIG 12 will have a championship game and figure out how to make that happen by adding a few schools. New Year's games need to get better.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Return to “General Discussion”