Texas Tech's High School Defense

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Texas Tech's High School Defense

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 pm

I'm still astounded that, to this day, Texas Tech can't even put a mediocre defense together. Although I will say once Leach really got going there, they did find a way to be at least average, which made them into a top 15-20 caliber team. Things were bad under Tubberville. Now though, under Kingsbury, the defense has gotten beyond miserable. Division II quality. They can't tackle. They're not physical. They can't cover. They were starting a converted WR at DB last Saturday (Polite-Bray) and he got burned over and over again (I'm assuming he's one of the three most competent DBs on the team or else he wouldn't be playing). Arizona State's RB had 7 TDs against them a few weeks ago.

I will say though, watching Mahomes is so much fun. He's basically a Johnny Manziel clone. I had listed as Heisman sleeper coming into this year, but that was only contingent on whether or not they could pull out close games by virtue of him putting together these Herculean efforts. Even with him balling out, the Red Raiders can't get wins.

I will say though, I'm watching their game next week against TCU. If it's half as good as last year's, it'll be worth it. I'm saying TCU 70 - TTU 63 :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Texas Tech's High School Defense

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:30 am

....in three out of four conference games, Oklahoma has averaged giving up 45 points....Texas has given up 40 points in three games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:30 am

....in three out of four conference games, Oklahoma has averaged giving up 45 points....Texas has given up 40 points in three games.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:58 am

I think it has to do with recruiting. If you have ever been to Lubbock then you understand. I can just imagine the college visits. I think parents are a very underestimated part of the recruitment process. What sane parent would go to a Texas Tech game and watch the behavior of their fans and say, "This is sure where I want my kid to go?" As a research institution, the curriculum may not have a widespread appeal for a general education student. If you can't recruit, tough to get the job done.

And just in case there is a thought that I am on my usual anti 'anywhere but the West Coast' rant, go to Pullman, Washington and see how you would get excited about that town.

This, of course, begs the question, "Does Mike Leach wear cowboy boots to bed?"
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:41 am

Regardless of Mac Davis's lyrics (Lubbock in my rear view mirror)....my Texan wife says it isn't bad...compared to other Texas places where she's lived....Pecos, Harkeyville, Brownwood (actually Indian Wells), San Angelo...Rising Star

Those were hardscrabble places 50-60 years ago but are now being gentrified...the old brick buildings downtown now serve as foo foo restaurants. But in the day when her family moved around the ranches, it was not as it is now.

Her folks were pioneer stock...thin. lean, practical people who had few luxuries in life.

Her uncle Yon broke his arm breaking a raw horse at age 70...cowboyed one arm for a while.

Her brother still owns no shoes but boots. He did give up drinking his whiskey straight...he now cuts it with water...getting old.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm

I absolutely believe in the pioneer stock that developed these lands. Not sure I want to live there, however. As I travel the West in some very desolate areas you will once in awhile see an old stone house, long forgotten in the middle of nowhere. You wonder, whey there? Then Mrs. Donovan says, "They woke up one morning and the wife said, 'We're done.'
"

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:19 pm

billybud wrote:....in three out of four conference games, Oklahoma has averaged giving up 45 points....Texas has given up 40 points in three games.

The whole big 12 is just terrible. They play zero defense. At this point they shouldn't be considered a power conference.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:24 pm

As powerful awful as Tech's defense is you might not notice the awful of the O-line. Mahomes is pretty much a one man show, I feel bad for the kid.

*I work out of San Angelo (2 years now) and I drive there every week and back to New Braunfels. Not a big fan, and anything west of San Angelo...like Pecos...no way in the world! Never been to Lubbock but I hear mixed reviews between OK and turrible!!!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:42 pm

I would be woefully remiss if I were to rail agaist Texas Tech and not mention the biggest awful of all in Lubbock. The Red Raider riding on to the field and going pew-pew..pew-pew with his/her hand...like a 5 year with parents who have a hankering for meth and gubment cheese. Absolutely Ridiculous! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 am

:lol:
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 am

Wow, WoVeU is back! Where have you been? 8)
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:51 am

WoVeU wrote:I would be woefully remiss if I were to rail agaist Texas Tech and not mention the biggest awful of all in Lubbock. The Red Raider riding on to the field and going pew-pew..pew-pew with his/her hand...like a 5 year with parents who have a hankering for meth and gubment cheese. Absolutely Ridiculous! :roll: :roll: :roll:

A clear picture.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Gawd! I do love those Red Raiders.

Those of us who despise PC and its relentless enforcing have to love their iconic call..."guns up!"

Yep...I cheer with them..."Guns Up"...

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 am

billybud wrote:Gawd! I do love those Red Raiders.

Those of us who despise PC and its relentless enforcing have to love their iconic call..."guns up!"

Yep...I cheer with them..."Guns Up"...

They should call it "fingers up" to be accurate...but that still may have young'ens running to their safe places. I always liked them but find myself struggling with irreconcilable differences these days.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:18 am

Eric wrote:Wow, WoVeU is back! Where have you been? 8)

I have been working all of the time. Drinking my medicine and paying for the sin of not heeding my own advice..."never be the first engineer a company has hired!"
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”