Ohio State - Penn State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Ohio State - Penn State

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:11 am

Oh well, you can't win them all. At least the offensive line and the special teams played great. :shock:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State - Penn State

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19 am

Watching the game and the ending, I was thinking there is really a big difference between how the game is approached today and when I was in school. (Long before most on this board were born.)

Players made all the decisions. Coaches got them prepared and when the game started the only thing coaches did was to substitute. There was a rule that a player had to call the plays and the ref would stand close to the huddle to make sure the new sub did not bring in the play. Quarterbacks were always the smartest guy on the team. Now obscenely highly paid coaches make all the decision. The players are like chessmen only to go where placed.

Urban Meyer made a decision. Who knows if was right or wrong, point is, a coach made it. I wonder if the players would have made the same call?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:49 am

The Ohio State-PSU game was an epic contest. I enjoyed this one a bunch.

These are the kind of games that we fans love and remember years later.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:19 am

I think that is right. Meyer should have called a time out before the field goal try. The coaches were late making the decision and the field goal unit paid the price for it. That didn't cost the game though, really. The two freshman on the offensive line along with 3 more in the rotation, have really shown inexperience. That kept the game close all night. Prince had 3 off sides penalties. The line as a whole had several more. Penn State spied Barrett all night, finally late in the second quarter they realized that left the TE open. This is the second week in a row Ohio State played a team coming off a bye. The weather equalized the speed difference, the inexperience, and some bad decisions all came together. Penn State played well. They took full advantage of mistakes and they wanted to win more.

Ohio State has 16 new starters this year. Inexperience runs deep. They would have 3 losses if not for JT Barrett and Curtis Samuel. They still have a good chance at being good at the end of the year. Playoff hopes are probably out of the picture, but I don't think they were ready this year anyway. The Big Ten is still in play and they have a good recruiting class coming to strengthen the future. If the lines can improve Ohio State will be a force.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:20 am

billybud wrote:The Ohio State-PSU game was an epic contest. I enjoyed this one a bunch.

These are the kind of games that we fans love and remember years later.

I agree. From a fan standpoint it was a great game. Fans were awesome. The home team defended their house.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:08 am

Ohio State has 16 new starters this year. Inexperience runs deep.

It's okay, they'll be ready by November 26th :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Eric wrote:
Ohio State has 16 new starters this year. Inexperience runs deep.

It's okay, they'll be ready by November 26th :roll:
We will see. There has to be better offensive line play or Michigan's defense will eat us up. I do think the defense is starting to get better. They aren't there yet, but it is lots better. DB's have quit trying to create interceptions and just take what is there. Right now your guys have the edge in the game. More than the edge.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 am

This game served as a passing reminder that Penn State has a football team. I forgot how much those prison uniforms amazed the eye.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 pm

WoVeU wrote:This game served as a passing reminder that Penn State has a football team. I forgot how much those prison uniforms amazed the eye.

And that Ohio State lost 16 starters last year, most to the NFL. Reloading is one thing. Reloading after losing the 8 of 11 of both sides of the ball is tough.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Spence wrote:
WoVeU wrote:This game served as a passing reminder that Penn State has a football team. I forgot how much those prison uniforms amazed the eye.

And that Ohio State lost 16 starters last year, most to the NFL. Reloading is one thing. Reloading after losing the 8 of 11 of both sides of the ball is tough.

Not tough...nearly impossible! In an 8 player rebuild Penn State would have had no chance unless the Buckeyes turned it over 5 times.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 pm

Urban Meyer didn't help the cause in that game. He shouldn't have tried to rush the field goal, especially on the road. He had the lead and all his T/O's in his back pocket. But Penn State took advantage of what Ohio State gave them and quite honestly, they have played pretty well since then so give them their due. They took that game away from Ohio State.

Return to “General Discussion”