The Big12

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

The Big12

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 pm

The Big 12 decided not to expand. How long until the conference is dissolved?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Re: The Big12

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:01 am

I think it's more likely that they'll stick around. They probably just shelved the conversation to next year or the next couple of years. I imagine they will eventually expand, probably into Florida. Which seems weird to me, but they seem intent on doing that.

If the Superconference concept is still a thing, then I guess you can't rule out Texas and Oklahoma going to the Pac-12(16?).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 am

Conferences see an advantage to get more schools. There is an allurement of the national championship. The conference will get more revenue. There may be others. The question is, what advantage is there for the school to join a conference or switch? Not much. All of the reasons have not shown much benefit to the schools. There is very little more revenue. Wins go down. Attendance remains the same and the cost requirements always increase. Independents have little reason. Notre Dame is fine, BYU would like to but they have some real restrictions and are not going to capitulate to social demands. Army is fine. The University of Massachusetts doesn't care.

Playoffs, because of the physical nature of football are at a standoff. Bad ideas will always fade.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:49 pm

I don't think Oklahoma will go to the PAC12, but I could see Texas making that move. I think that Oklahoma will go to the SEC eventually. I think the BiG would like to have Texas and Houston for the TV market. I just can't see Delany putting up with all of Texas' crap. Maybe Larry Scott won't either. I would think the ACC would have a better shot at expanding further in Florida as long as FSU and Miami were ok with it.

I do think the big ten will take a run at A&M and Houston for their TV markets. The BiG TV revenue goes to 50 million in a few years and with the Dallas and Houston TV markets in the mix would expand even further. That would give them access of the top 10 TV markets. Houston, if they want to keep their coach, has to have a plan in place soon. A&M would be harder, but the lure of 50 million plus in national TV money may make it possible, Also they would likely be in the West, which should be attractive to them also.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:27 pm

The news buzzing about Herman, is that he is in a position to get an extension. Not bad considering the raise they just gave him.

He seems poised to stay put ... makes one think that he assumes Houston is taking steps, already, at playing conference musical chairs.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:The news buzzing about Herman, is that he is in a position to get an extension. Not bad considering the raise they just gave him.

He seems poised to stay put ... makes one think that he assumes Houston is taking steps, already, at playing conference musical chairs.

I think Herman staying depends on whether or not Houston moves into a power 5 conference or if USC comes calling. I think if SC wants him that he is there. Past that, I think as long as Houston gets into one of the major conferences he would stay. If not, I would look for him to move to Texas. Texas can be a pretty hard job to turn down. It is one of the better jobs on CFB.

Return to “General Discussion”