Ohio State - Wisconsin

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Ohio State - Wisconsin

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:04 am

Ohio State needed to be punched in the mouth on both sides of the ball. Luckily they came out with the W. Wisconsin is a tough place to play. Wisconsin's defense holds a lot. They always have, it is what they teach. The young Dline had a terrible time shaking their blocks. The Buckeye offensive line got schooled pretty good as well. Lots of things to work on this week to get better. I think Ohio State needs to settle on a set of receivers so JT Barrett can develop some chemistry with them. The offensive line needs to get better at pass protect. The defensive line needs to push the pocket more often and let the DB's make plays. Lastly the DB's need to quit playing off their man on man press trying to get interceptions. They can look really terrible at times. Glad to get the W and have a shot to move on. A young team is starting to grow up.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Ohio State - Wisconsin

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:50 am

Meyer earned his money to get the win. From a guy that watched the game as I flipped through many during that time slot, Wisconsin was in charge, but when the time came, OSU coaches did what was necessary. What I found interesting was the pundits after the game immediately giving beating the drum why OSU should not drop in the ratings because of how great Wisconsin is and why Clemson should drop because the game was so close. I thought I was listening to Trump. It always is simple to me, only one statistic counts, all the rest, conversation.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 am

A wonderful fan's game. Ohio State coming back to win it made it a special game for Buckeye fans...but it was a great game for any fan to watch.

Since my father's family are Wisconsin folks (since 1856 on the farm in Neenah) and my dad was a Michigan grad...I kind of cheered for Wisconsin.

I have no dog in the hunt (Donovan..note that only a southerner may use this phrase)..Even in the Michigan-Ohio State game, I raise a glass to my dad and cheer on the gold and maize, but only in memory of the sharing my father's fandom.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 am

Wisconsin was absolutely in charge the whole game. Maybe until the last 4 plays of the game. The Camp is a hard place to play and the young Ohio State players needed a game like this because up to now things have been too easy. Even struggling last week against Indiana they still weren't in danger of losing. Last night they not only were in danger of losing, but they were getting schooled on line play on both sides if the ball. They squeaked out the win and lived to fight another day, but the most important thing for a young team was that they found out they weren't as good as people kept telling them. That will help them take the next step toward being better.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:07 am

And to think, we might just get this game as a rematch in the Big 10 Championship.

It's either this game, or Wisconsin / Michigan ... because I cannot see anyone taking the division away from the Badgers. And I would venture to say, the winner of the OSU vs Blue, will represent that division.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:52 am

billybud wrote:I have no dog in the hunt (Donovan..note that only a southerner may use this phrase)..Even in the Michigan-Ohio State game, I raise a glass to my dad and cheer on the gold and maize, but only in memory of the sharing my father's fandom.

We won the war but the spoils apparently do not go the victory. So I return to the south that phrase and will not use it anymore. I think "my investment portfolio has no canine of that species" should work.

I make a quick assumption the phrase, "that dog won't hunt" is also proprietary to those that believe gray is a primary color.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 am

Grey isn't a primary color?

Duke1632
All-American
All-American

Postby Duke1632 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:11 am

This game was riveting. I make a conscious effort to avoid getting attached to any particular team, but this was a dramatic game between two teams I really like to watch (and root for).

OSU - I think I like them because of Spence and for a few other reasons. Meyer is to be marveled for a lot of reasons. I really like that he prioritized his life toward family before going to OSU, even if that means old Meyer was more driven to win than new Meyer. It looks like the offense could really use his cleverness and innovation. Never the same since Herman went to Houston. Offense is still hard to stop, but seems to be entirely predictable in many situations, particularly when the game gets tight.

Wis - Paul Chryst is probably the best coach I've ever seen that no one notices, but I did see that he got some play-calling props from this game. What he did last year blew me away. Entire offensive line in the hospital? No problem, Wisconsin will just develop a passing game and use it to win 10 games. I really want to see Wisconsin get back to its traditional Barry Alvarez power run, and I think they can do it with Clement (but Ogumbawali does not appear to have that special Wisconsin RB ability).

B1G - What is with all the incredible WRs? Really impressed by the talent at WR in the Big ten this year.

donovan - Do you follow (root for) Nebraska under Mike Reilly?
The athletic team of my geographic region is superior to the team from your geographic region.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 am

Mike Riley is a nice person. He had, including me, loyal following at Oregon State. He took that program a long way in terms of cleaning it up and getting the players to become students. I think he got more out of his players than most would have done. It is a tough place for recruiting, especially with Oregon's success. And yes, I wish him well in Nebraska and as they have already become bowl qualified, I suspect his recruiting will be great. I am good with Nebraska winning.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Duke1632 wrote:This game was riveting. I make a conscious effort to avoid getting attached to any particular team, but this was a dramatic game between two teams I really like to watch (and root for).

OSU - I think I like them because of Spence and for a few other reasons. Meyer is to be marveled for a lot of reasons. I really like that he prioritized his life toward family before going to OSU, even if that means old Meyer was more driven to win than new Meyer. It looks like the offense could really use his cleverness and innovation. Never the same since Herman went to Houston. Offense is still hard to stop, but seems to be entirely predictable in many situations, particularly when the game gets tight.

Wis - Paul Chryst is probably the best coach I've ever seen that no one notices, but I did see that he got some play-calling props from this game. What he did last year blew me away. Entire offensive line in the hospital? No problem, Wisconsin will just develop a passing game and use it to win 10 games. I really want to see Wisconsin get back to its traditional Barry Alvarez power run, and I think they can do it with Clement (but Ogumbawali does not appear to have that special Wisconsin RB ability).

B1G - What is with all the incredible WRs? Really impressed by the talent at WR in the Big ten this year.

donovan - Do you follow (root for) Nebraska under Mike Reilly?

You are right about the Ohio State offense not being as dynamic without Tom Herman. Ed Warinner is ok at calling games. He is a good line coach. Tim Beck isn't very good. I think he needs replaced.

Paul Chryst is a Barry Alvarez clone. He has his winning formula and plugs the right players in it. Wisconsin is a hard team for Ohio State to play. We rarely face that sort of team anymore and we aren't built to match up with them. They play the kind of football I like, though, so I watch and root for them more than any self respecting Buckeye should. I have always liked Wisconsin. I never cared much for Bert, but he has done ok at Arkansas.

Return to “General Discussion”