Washington v Oregon

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Washington v Oregon

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:44 am

Oregon is not very good this year. Washington is very good this year. Second half Washington put in two Dr. Pepper vendors, one medicare patient that could find his seat after 37 trips to the can and two make a wish kids.

Oregon is not going to make it with their coaching staff. Thinking you can have a program getting Jr college transfer QB will not cut it. Problem is, going to take a change in coaching and then about three years.

Petersen seems to have built a solid base. They may falter but I am not seeing it. Like Petersen has always done, the first half has so many rotations it is hard to know who is in and who is not. And the second half was everyone else. The last quarter was played with the third backup QB. The squad would have done better but they weren't all that synced, especially with the clap signal calling.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Washington v Oregon

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Washington continues to impress. Petersen is a really good coach who understands all facets of the game. Washington continues to get better and will be a force by the end of the year. They are fun to watch right now. Oregon, on the other hand, has major personnel problems and are on a hard down hill fall. It will be interesting to see how the Washington players handle their success going forward.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Washington is clearly the class of the league. The offense is good and Browning has not made very many mistakes this year. That defense puts a ton of pressure on without the need of constant blitz packages. Oregon is falling hard. Their QB situation is a joke. Not just this season but it will likely get much worse before they show signs of climbing out of it. They need something more than fancy uniforms to keep kids wanting to go there.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:28 pm

... it may be slow going, but Phil Knight will again find a way to loophole his way into buying his team, before they fall too far into obscurity.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 pm

I think he will need to buy a new coaching staff.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:12 am

Yes, and I wonder if Oregon is simply waiting until Chip is finished failing @ the 49ers before Phil boosters in an offer Kelly cannot refuse.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm not sure Kelly is the guy to bring them back.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:57 am

Kelly is not the guy. He is a college coach for sure, but the pasture will be elsewhere. The Knight money will be there, but with his stepping down, again, from day to day activities, he may be putting his money in one of his many other charities. His main contributions are to nonathletic projects. In his praise, at least from me, he never has buildings named after him at any school, Stanford and Oregon being predominate. He has one cancer center at OHSU named after his son, that is it. Going to be a long project at Oregon.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 pm

It's amazing that Oregon was so dominant in this rivalry for so long....Then they get absolutely creamed by the team that they've been creaming for a decade. I don't want to completely bail on Helfrich yet, but I knew he was a downgrade from Chip Kelly. You always fear that the guy you hired from within is going to tail off from the guy he's replacing. David Shaw is a notable counterexample, but I can easily think of 20 others (cough Rod Carey at NIU cough).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 pm

The Knight money is certainly still around. Heard he just gave $500 million to the school. I don't believe that is all going towards the athletic department but I did not spend the time to see what sort of breakdown does. I have no doubt a healthy percentage will be for athletics and football in particular.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:30 am

None of it went to athletics. Was for a new OHSU Oregon Health Sciences University for a new facility. The percentage of money he has given to Stanford and the Univerity of Oregon athletics is minuscule compared to his contributions to education. Also, Nike money is not the same as Knights money.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:03 pm

Les Wexner does the same at Ohio State. He is responsible for lots of contributions to Ohio State that have nothing to do with Athletics. His family did do the major upgrade to the Woody Hayes athletic center for his birthday one year. It is called "The Wexner football complex" I guess that is what you buy a billionaire for his birthday. :lol:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 pm

... yep, Jeffery Soffer Donated money to the University of Miami for an indoor practice facilty, in honor of his mother Carol Soffer.

I guess $24million isn't all that much when you're a South Florida real estate developer and philanthropist billionaire.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”