Week 1: Good, Bad, Intriguing

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Week 1: Good, Bad, Intriguing

Postby highfly24 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:04 pm

ACC:
Good--Louisville, in a weekend of under performers and upsets taking care of business looks good.
Bad--Virginia, as stated in other topic, lost big to a good in state FCS school.
Intriguing--UNC, a loss in Atlanta to Georgia is not bad, but the play calling leads to some questions. Where do they go from here.
Clemson, that was not the performance of a playoff team. They won a road game vs the SEC tho so that carries weight when its convenient to powers that be. I expected better and know they will show more.

BIG 10:
Good--Wisconsin, suppose to be a down year for them but what a great start for them.
Bad--Northwestern, cant loss to WMU at home. Their division looks pretty open and you did yourself no favors here.
Intriguing--Ohio State, wow I think Bowling Green is a decent team. Putting up 77 on a potential conference champ, any conf, raises an eyebrow.

BIG 12:
Good--Texas, guess they finally found some offense, big win for them and HAHA Notre Dame
Bad--Oklahoma, outplayed and outcoached again. Iowa State, lost to a good in state FCS school
Intriguing--TCU, couldnt stop South Dakota State much. What will they do moving forward?

PAC 12:
Good--Ummm...Washington, maybe Colorado's big win too.
Bad--USC, UCLA, Wazzou, Arizona, take your pick. USC was ugly, 2 lost to mediocre performances, and Wazzou no defense lost to in state FCS school.
Intriguing--Stanford, can they put up enough offensive numbers to keep McCaffrey as Heisman favorite.

SEC: other than Alabama
Good--Georgia, A&M, both got wins over ranked teams and showed they still have room to improve as well.
Bad--Everyone else. Your the SEC suppose to be so superior to everyone and you either squeak by in wins or flat lose. Sure didnt look impressive anywhere else, save Auburn.
Intriguing--Has to be Auburn. Are they going to rise up and be a threat again, or was it a magic bullet for a 7 win club. Ole Miss is waiting tonights game.

Others:
Good--Houston, Boise, Army
Bad--Notre Dame, Temple
Intriguing---It's week 1. There are too many to list.

Eric

Re: Week 1: Good, Bad, Intriguing

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:15 pm

I could see Washington State rebounding to get into a bowl game like they did last year. Last season they lost to a worse team in Portland State and they still did okay in Pac-12 play. I don't understand why you would want to play a team like Eastern Washington. EWU is probably one of the 65 or so best teams in the country. I think Cooper Kupp (WR) will be playing Sundays. EWU is now 2-2 versus the Pac-12 over the last 4 years, with their two losses also being very competitive.

Iowa State also has got to stop playing Northern Iowa. I believe that is UNI's third win over the Cyclones in the last decade. If you're going to schedule the FCS, you want to hit the MEAC, SWAC, NEC, or Big South. Simple really :lol: . Amazingly, Buffalo hosting Albany didn't work out in their favor. That's the definition of a terrible loss.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:19 am

You're correct about Eastern Washington.

Florida State wins because of conditioning. Talk about nonsense..who agrees to a schedule when the 3rd quarter starts at 11:00 PM?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:41 am

I would have liked to see Ohio State's secondary play better. The defensive line could have been better too.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:20 am

Spence wrote:I would have liked to see Ohio State's secondary play better. The defensive line could have been better too.

Yep; winning with 77 points is acceptable ... but, gosh-doggit if we give'm even an inch to take comfort in.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 am

FSU:

A good SEC team is spotted a 22 point lead. Jimbo says. "we've got them right where we want them".

Like the game with Auburn, the Noles come alive in the second half......and outscore the Rebels 32 to 6.

It took a while for the game to slow down for the young freshman QB, but it did. And he finished with 419 yards of passing.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Spence wrote:I would have liked to see Ohio State's secondary play better. The defensive line could have been better too.

Yep; winning with 77 points is acceptable ... but, gosh-doggit if we give'm even an inch to take comfort in.

Not complaining. Just an observation.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Northern Iowa, Richmond, and Eastern Washington are really good FCS teams. All 3 have had a degree of postseason success with UNI and Richmond starting out top 5 in preseason rankings. The Missouri Valley is going to be a real dog fight, 4 teams are top 10 right now as South Dakota State gave TCU a good run. However, Illinois State is lucky enough to avoid Northern Iowa this season, but has North Dakota State for the first time in the regular season and at Fargo. Doesnt get any easier for EWU as they take on NDSU Saturday. 1 of 3 key MVFC vs Big Sky matchups this weekend.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:29 pm

donovan wrote:You're correct about Eastern Washington.

Florida State wins because of conditioning. Talk about nonsense..who agrees to a schedule when the 3rd quarter starts at 11:00 PM?

Actually, FSU won because of half time adjustments...the Noles went from zone to man defense...allowing a LB "spy" on Chad Kelley. Moved the DE to DT where his quickness kept beating the Ole Miss line...allowing him to get 4.5 sacks. Ole Miss could not or did not adjust to these moves...

Kelly was bottled up, hit, and didn't have time to go through a progression. He had hurried throws.. resulting in INT's and he fumbled when he was hit. The adjustments to the defense allowed a different look...and Ole Miss was held to 6 points in the second half while FSU scored on 9 straight possessions.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:43 pm

You are probably right...but when FSU controls the ball 42 minutes and Ole Miss 17....hard to think the defense isn't going to get tired. Much easier to refresh offense than defense.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Speaking of getting tired...The Noles should have tired bodies at Louisville...three football games in 12 days........ due to the Monday, Thursday, Saturday scheduling.

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:46 pm

Further SEC bad: Uk has Southern Miss on the ropes, quits playing to win in the second half and lets USM back in and they win. UK loses to another C-USA team.

Swamp Daddy :oops:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Spence wrote:
Cane from the Bend wrote:

Not complaining. Just an observation.

I'm a die hard Philadelphia Eagles fan. Also, known as a Negadelphian. We invented the words skeptic and critic in terms of football and I often find myself more optimistic about Ohio St. football than you. So... Whenever you decide to become an Eagles fan let me know. You'll fit in just perfect.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:23 pm

I just try to break them down honestly. Bowling Green was touted as a favorite to win their conference, but that isn't true. They had a good team last year. They lost lots of people. Ohio State has a ton of talent. Almost no experience. Barrett being in the QB spot will make for a good season, but the Buckeye fans expecting scores like the BG game every time are kidding themselves.

Return to “General Discussion”