Turn arounds..

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Turn arounds..

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:57 am

1...FSU kicking

From the agony of the "Wide rights" to Kicker U. Four Lou Groza Awards.

FSU now has four ex Noles as starting NFL kickers.

2...Southern Miss

1-11 in 2013...They went from 1-7 in CUSA to 7-1 last year. Could make their 2nd straight CUSA CCG this year.

Any others you guys like?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Turn arounds..

Postby highfly24 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 pm

Going back a ways...the 1995 Northwestern team. They were nothing prior to that year. My dad and I got tickets to the Illinois game in Champaign and were joking how we should see a big win for the Illini. As the season progressed it was clear that was not the case. Northwestern won 17-14, I believe, and went to the Rose Bowl. Team has been solid to good almost every season since.

Temple last year was a surprising turnaround to me. Not sure how long it had been for them to get to a bowl but they were well off my radar in that conference.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Northwestern is cyclical...they can put together a double digit win season...but go from there to a losing season.

They go 10-3 in 2012, only to go 5-7 in 2013 and 2014...to again go to 10-3 in 2015.

Same thing back in the 90's...good season in 1995, as you posted...but dropped to 5-7 in 1997, 3-9 in 1998, and 3-8 in 1999.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 am

I don't know why I skipped the Southern Miss / Kentucky game on our picks this week. That's close to a coin flip, although with Kentucky's having the home field, I"d give them a slight edge. That will be a good game.

I was going to say that Tulane might be a turnaround candidate, but they only mustered 3 points tonight against Wake. :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:23 am

I'd like to see Boston College put a quality season together. We know the offense will struggle, but will the defense be great again? Their offense was ravaged by injuries last year, but it looks like they got Patrick Towles to be the starter this season (he's pretty average I'd say). Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but BC seems like one of those forgotten programs that could use a boost. Illinois is another one I'd like to see just get to 6-6 and into a bowl game with Lovie Smith as their HC.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:56 am

BC can play as a spoiler.....won't be in the top of the conference yet will make good teams look bad.

Eric...I don't know if Lovie will move the needle at Illinois or not...I am watching some programs to see if coaching helps....Fedora at UNC, Bronco at Virginia, Richt at Miami. Fuente at VT, and Dino Babers at Cuse.....

Some of these programs are currently disadvantaged in athletes....Illinois , as an example,did not have a 4 star 2016 recruit (and only 2 in 2015)...Virginia is in similar shape...Fedora has more to work with at UNC as does Richt at Miami.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:24 am

Hermine entered Tallahassee as a hurricane, left downgraded to a tropical storm...a familiar story.

Yard is a mess, limbs down everywhere, on roof as well. No power...but no damage either. My son is prepared to be the clean up service.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:21 am

Illinois is in a major mess right now, beyond football. Lovie brought some enthusiasm and interest for the university tho. Being a former Chicago Bears coach who led them to a Super Bowl should play well in recruiting that area. It will be interesting if he can keep some of those big time Chicago recruits to go there instead of ND, Mich, Ohio State.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:26 am

billybud wrote:Hermine entered Tallahassee as a hurricane, left downgraded to a tropical storm...a familiar story.

Yard is a mess, limbs down everywhere, on roof as well. No power...but no damage either. My son is prepared to be the clean up service.

Good to hear that no damage was done. I'm replacing a roof due to a hail storm few months back. We are used to tornadoes up here not so much hurricanes.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:04 pm

billybud wrote:Hermine entered Tallahassee as a hurricane, left downgraded to a tropical storm...a familiar story.

thanks for reporting. Glad you are safe. Glad you son is doing clean up. As for you, Mr. Billybud, stay off roofs, ladders and sharp objects....just supervise from your recliner.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:38 pm

glad you are safe. It passed JUST to the east of me.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:58 pm

billybud wrote:Northwestern is cyclical...they can put together a double digit win season...but go from there to a losing season.

They go 10-3 in 2012, only to go 5-7 in 2013 and 2014...to again go to 10-3 in 2015.

Looks like your right on this one and that means a pretty subpar year ahead. Losing to WMU leads to a very uphill battle for 8-10 wins this season.

Return to “General Discussion”