Another conference network

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Another conference network

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:36 pm

ACC and ESPN will launch a conference network channel by 2019 according to recent reports. I am beginning to dislike these things as it means more football/basketball/baseball (major sports) off the regular channels and another "ESPN channel" you will have to purchase. And, lots of junk programming no one will care about sandwiched around the good games.

Swamp Daddy :evil:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another conference network

Postby Derek » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:10 am

Swamp Daddy wrote:ACC and ESPN will launch a conference network channel by 2019 according to recent reports. I am beginning to dislike these things as it means more football/basketball/baseball (major sports) off the regular channels and another "ESPN channel" you will have to purchase. And, lots of junk programming no one will care about sandwiched around the good games.

Swamp Daddy :evil:

I'll just say that I am NOT a fan of ESPN in ANY way. They are like the Illuminati of College Football.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:31 am

I have the love-hate thing going with ESPN...

Folks my age (near 70) certainly remember the abysmal plains of televised college football prior to ESPN.....

ESPN has made college football what it is today....a product enjoyed in numbers more on television than in the stadiums.

Used to be, to see your team, you had to buy a ticket and travel. I often listened on the radio. An athlete could go a career at a school like FSU or Southern Miss and never play in a televised regular season game.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:55 am

My first memory of television football was sometime in the early 50's. We had a green-screened Hoffman TV. My job was to go and adjust the antennae that sat on top while my father sat in his chair and told me when the picture was acceptable. As I went back to my sit the picture became blurry and because the play those days was without breaks, I remember, not correctly I am sure, standing the whole game with the TV using my body as the medium for a clear picture. (They may be what is wrong with me.)

Fast forward to today. Our cable bill is $170 per month so we can watch 999 channels 998 which I do not care about.
ears.

So the ACC has crawled into bed with the Disney for longer than I will be here, which includes an engagement to Notre Dame football. (The dowry is not quite big enough yet.)

My prediction: College football rules will soon be changed that from start to finish games will be with all interruptions will be exactly 2 hours.

I am now going to go figure out why we are paying so much for TV and football coverage is being diminished.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:41 am

Well, I'll have to agree that ESPN has made college football what it is today; and, made it what it isn't too. Sure, in the old days, pre-cable channels, I enjoyed reading the sports pages in the newspaper, especially the Sunday ones -- that was the way news got around back in those bad old days. I guess my main ESPN objections is they are now toooo big. And, in collusion with cable providers they market things so you have to buy two or three additional packages just to get one or two games per year on each of them.

Still, no one gives a darn about what I think; and, years back I opted out of the 'horsepower' race and gave up the sports packages (too expensive for what I wanted to see), then cut off cable all together when I retired. As TV pushed the print media aside, as cable pushed over the air TV aside, now the internet is pushing cable aside (in the way I view things). I listen to most games on the radio now, later I download some off the internet and put them on DVD (a fun hobby of mine) making up covers for the cases, etc. Soon I'm going to print on the DVDs themselves.

ESPN tends to be too much of a dictator; but, even that had a good side at times as your team might be the premier event on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday night on ESPN rather than one of 100s on Saturday. Sort of a love-hate relationship with them.

If I could buy just the ACC channel (and maybe SEC and Big 10) I'd probably do it; but, I'm just not convinced that will happen before I kick the (football) bucket for the last time.

And, to further show my age --

Only the Shadow knows what lies in the minds of men, Swamp Daddy :twisted:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Return to “General Discussion”