Sleeper Teams?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Sleeper Teams?

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Man, it's been a while. :shock:

Just checking back in after a hiatus. Football itch hasn't still quite hit me, but it's getting there. I've got a few sleeper teams I'm looking that that aren't on anyone's radar. Something is telling me that Rutgers will put together an extremely competitive team this year. I don't expect them to contend in the East, but I feel that they are capable of a monster upset in conference play and a strong 8-4 record might be in play for them. Ash I feel will be able to do some great things at RU before leaving for greener pastures.

I'm liking Syracuse's new offense, but I don't quite think they will be there yet. They will be capable of bowling, but I don't see much better than 6-6. The cupboard is somewhat bare. Texas was a young team and I feel that they will be less schizo this year. They could be in for a ho-hum season before doing better things in 2017, but they could also take advantage of Baylor losing their mojo.

Donovan is going to like me for this (even more than he already does now :mrgreen: ), but Washington might finally be ready to break out in the Pac-12 North. They've got a young team with a lot of talent and I think Petersen has flushed out the, shall we say, problem people. I'm not saying they were bad guys, but there seemed to be a lack of gelling or cohesiveness with different personalities. Peterson has "his guys" I think.

My big sleeper in the American this year is Tulane under new coach Willie Fritz. A real possibility at 8-4, but they still get to compete with Houston and Memphis in their division. So not division champs, but for a school that has completely fallen off of the football radar, they might become relevant again soon.

I usually have a sleeper in the MAC that can be spotted from a mile away, but I honestly can't come up with one this year. I'm looking for Ball State, Kent State, and Buffalo to all improve and be in bowl contention, but not much else. The East champ will be either Ohio or Bowling Green, and the West will be a slugfest between CMU, WMU, Northern Illinois, and Toledo, as usual.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Re: Sleeper Teams?

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I guess I could add that if there's a Johnny Manziel figure out there to emerge, my pick would be Patrick Mahomes. He's going to need to play at that level if he wants to even compete in the Big 12 since Texas Tech's defense is so God awful. Can anybody else seem him running around like a ballerina a la Manziel on his way to scoring some big upsets in the neighborhood of, let's say, 55-53? :lol:

I think Tech will go a competitive 7-5 with some heartbreaking losses because their defense can't tackle. Mahomes will give some valiant efforts though.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:54 pm

You are correct about the purge at Washington. That is healthy for everyone. Think it may be one year too soon, but he needs to be in the hunt. Washington State may be the sleeper. Leach is a character but he has players that seemly respond. He allows a lot of antics, but not off the field. My hope is the Oregon State, Washington, Washington State and Boise State do well. 2019 FSU v BSU...that is the hot ticket.

Between wondering why I still hope the Mariners will break out when I know they are lackluster bush leaguers in major league uniforms and the travesty in Dallas, not quite on the football bandwagon, but I will be.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:43 pm

I like Washington as a sleeper too. I hear early is usually when it happens for teams.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Eric wrote:Man, it's been a while. :shock:

Yes it has. I might have taken a longer hiatus than most on here. Now that the Olympics have ended I realize that the season is just around the corner, even a couple games this weekend. I like the Washington call and think they could be really good this season. They had some problems after a tough game vs Oregon but really destroyed Wazzou in the Apple Cup.

Other sleepers are Army of course. Not only are they going to a bowl game but they are winning in Dec. :P Ok back to reality, I think Cincy will be back on top of the division and in the conf title game this year. The AAC is very balanced though making it hard to predict. A team like UCONN is just as likely to finish on top as they are battling Tulane for the bottom.

Marshall could be this year's Memphis. They get Louisville at a very vulnerable point; in West Virginia, at night, in between 2 marquee games for L'ville. Depending how Marshall does in that and the game at Southern Miss, they could even replicate the late season nose dive of Memphis too. NOT something to strive for though.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:57 am

Sleepers?

I like Washington to battle Stanford in the north PAC. Gaskin is a 1000 yd RB, the QB is good, the O line is experienced.

Don't sleep on TCU ths year....they will be young with fewer returning starters than most, a new QB with Boykin gone...but have the capability to end up ranked. Their defense will be one of the Big 12's better D's.

And, they will sneak right along, but Iowa could be a Big Ten contender this year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 am

While nobody thinks that they are a sleeper...North Carolina isn't much thought of in the national picture.

Their O line is a year more experienced, their defensive line should be better than last year....Trubisky is coming on as a QB. Other than their game in Tallahassee, they may be favored to win the rest on their schedule.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:20 pm

My sleeper team is going to be... Washington State. There defensive line is very mobile, the offensive line is very good and Faulk is an inspiring leader. The play Boise State early on and Boise is 0-4 against them. It is at Boise and this will be pivotal for both teams. Hmm.. Boise by 7
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:04 pm

It was 13 seasons ago that Miami last had a double digit win season....I think that this year, they could go to double digits...they are a sleeper

Trivia fact...Although FSU has taken six straight from the Canes...12 of the last 15 games have been decided by 7 points or less...always a nail biter for a Nole fan.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 pm

I think the Noles should stretch it out a little this year on Miami.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:31 pm

We'll see ...

The `Canes will be rolling out a whole new defensive package. And there seems to be a strong emphasis on D-Line & D-Back.

With the `noles defense looking rather stout; this game may very well come down to the running game.

Should be exciting ... hopefully I'll have allot more fun than Billybud that day.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Coach Kool will have the Cane D line improved...last year Miami gave up the highest ypc in 20 years...should be much more stout this year.

The defensive backs may be as good as last year, but they lost starters...

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:55 pm

oops!!!

Miami's double digit season now looks a lot further away...The Canes have permanently dismissed their top three tacklers from last year for impermissable benefits.

Driving exotic cars at no cost...really will cost them a game or two..losing their top defenders.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:21 am

No doubt ... every time things look as though the ship has been righted; another setback has yet to rear its ugly face.

It's just frustrating being a `Canes fan this past decade. We were sure hoping for a better start with coach Richt. And, what's worse, there will be many fingers pointing in his direction with each loss incurred. Some will argue back with this fact; but by mid-season many will forget this drawback, and criticize with self assumed impunitive zeal.

Two defensive players were released from the team Saturday.
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Jermaine Grace

Juwon Young, was suspended back in June, and has since enrolled at Marshall.

Hurricanes Standout Wide Receiver Stacy Coley was also under investigation for the same incident. But was found to Not Be in violation, and has been cleared.

Muhammad will be missed, because he was a solid gap filler. Though, he had a string of suspensions throughout his time at Miami. We should be fine, even with his loss, as there are 3 Linemen with experience, ready to step in. We will, however, likely see 1 or possibly 2 true freshmen find their way into the rotation, just to keep fresh legs in the games.

The biggest loss is senior Jermaine Grace. He was set be the Line Backer Capt. And was the only Line Backer we had with playing time.

There will be no NCAA sanctions brought against the UM program. The ruling by the investigation showed no involvement with any member of the coaching or administration staffs.

The standing theory, is that these players were given extreme discounts on exotic vehicles, for a future stake in their professional careers.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 am

As for sleeper teams, how `bout that Charleston So.

They really took it to North Dakota State. Just a few more yards closer, and that field goal would have won it ... but alas, an overtime performance would see the Bison with the W.

Charleston did play admirably, especially that far on the road.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”