I Like it When the SEC Gets Knocked Down a Peg

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

I Like it When the SEC Gets Knocked Down a Peg

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:38 am

Good game in Houston tonight. I figured that this could have been a blowout or a surprising battle, and it's turning into a surprising battle. Paper says Fournette should have 400 yards by now, but Miles keeps throwing it and Tech is effectively stacking the box. Their tackling woes will probably haunt them here, but LSU was talking a lot of trash in the first quarter after they stuck a couple of hits. It's the typical SEC attitude on the part of the players. Disrespect your opponent and have that "they've never seen anything like us before" demeanor. Then the talented opposing offense lands some scores, and they looked shellshocked. I guess each recruiting class has to learn it, but you guys don't play in the 7th division of the NFL just yet. They trash talk Jakeem Grant and DeAndre Washington without realizing that they (and Mahomes) would be three of the best offensive players in the entire SEC. How many SEC receivers would you take over Grant? Cooper and Treadwell would be about it for me. Yet they think they belong in the junior leagues. The arrogance is unbecoming. And it's not just LSU, I see it from the SEC every bowl season, and they never learn (say, when Bama gets beat by Ohio State and their 3rd QB). They might land some big hits early, but the guys get up off the mat and keep fighting. You don't get brownie points for being a little faster and a little stronger. The guys on the other side were recruited to play division one football too.

Anyway, it's currently 28-20. Tech's defense will wear down because Fournette should be in the NFL, but their offense can easily hang with LSU's defense, so they can keep this in the ballpark if they play it smartly.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: I Like it When the SEC Gets Knocked Down a Peg

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:15 am

Well, for me it's not so much as seeing the SEC get their comeuppance when one of the conferences top teams struggles [loses] to a team expected to get ran by them --- Instead, I like to see the Media get yolk they cannot scrape off their faces for the Rah Rah Rah, attitude they lavish on them.

The Media was the same way with the Big XII back at the start of the 2000's, and I was annoyed by the bias then, too.

I'm sure there was a time, though, when people felt a similar way about the Big 3 in Florida.

These sort of things happen in cycles. So, it's only inevitable that it will all come back around.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:09 am

Well, in this case I go both ways. I like them to get whipped and I like the media to come up with all sorts of lame excuses why. I hear so much SEC rah-rah stuff from UK bluenecks I can not be very objective.

Swamp Daddy :twisted:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:09 am

Darn obsolete computer, got a double post but erased it. Swamp Daddy :oops:

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:28 am

Well, I should note that LSU did physically mandhandle Texas Tech. But so does everybody :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 am

Did I miss something...the score was 56-27 LSU's way...right?

May have took them a while to adjust...but any 29 point win is a plain old beating....

Texas Tech was a one trick pony...they rushed for an average of 1.1 yards....lived by the pass (4 TD's, 30 yards)....LSU had near 400 yards of rush offense and 7 rushing TD's.....just wore 'em down.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:10 pm

billybud wrote:Did I miss something...

Yep, Eric initially posted this thread while the game was still close. He then later posted that LSU ran over Texas Tech.

My comment was an after thought. Not a reflection on the game itself, rather, an overall generalization of my feelings about Eric's comment.

Swampdaddy's comment is more of an ire towards Kentucky, mixed with anticipation for Louisville's upcoming game tonight vs. Texas A&M; and had little to do with last night's game.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:18 pm

ok..got it.

I thought lSU played their usual game...just wear you down.

Bama and LSU aren't very flashy...they look like Big Ten teams of 25 years ago.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:08 am

UL finishes the season with two straight wins over the SEC, holding on to defeat the Aggies in the Music City Bowl. Life is fun for now. :P

More like the old Bobby Ball with 500 plus yards of offense.

Swamp Daddy :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:16 pm

I was only talking about Tech's offense; LSU was treating them like they were second-tier athletes judging by how they were acting after the first two series. Their offense played well enough against LSU's defense to win the game. Their defense is another story. Everybody runs over Tech's defense though, there was no special SEC sauce that allowed them to manhandle their defense. Chris Warren, a freshman, went for 285 and 4 scores against Texas Tech. When Tech made it 21-20, everyone on the sidelines for LSU looked stunned because it stemmed from a knee-jerk disrespect of Tech's offense, which they thought was a gimmick or not built to score against an SEC school. Then they did, and their ego was bruised, at least at the time. A lot of the defensive players respected Mahomes at the end when they found out he wasn't so easy to corral in the open field.

This game was a big mismatch, but Tech played a good 3 quarters. Mahomes is a stud though, doing his best Johnny Football impression. If he had a defense around him, he could be a Heisman contender in 2016.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:36 pm

I should note that the SEC isn't doing me any favors. NC State is miserable, so no surprise that Mississippi State roughed them up, but I really though Memphis should have taken Auburn out with their bad offense. :roll:

And Bama is up 7-0.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Connor Cook just made the worst throw I've ever seen in my life. Just horrible. :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:03 am

Alabama is knocking the B1G down a peg tonight
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:10 am

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I like Michigan, Penn State, and Tennessee, but I went 0-fer today, so what do I know :lol: .

Michigan has to win. If they don't win against that pitiful offense, then shame on Harbaugh. I'm going to go into hibernation if that happens. Wake me up in September :roll:

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:24 am

Much St looks almost as good as Vanderbilt or Kentucky. Both teams would put up more of a fight than this. Pitiful. Bama is good but they are not that good.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Return to “General Discussion”