the Quarter Back shuffle

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

the Quarter Back shuffle

Postby Swamp Daddy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:28 am

During last season and this year too Louisville played the quarterback shuffle trying 3 different ones and not finding much consistency. Our situation has stabilized with Lamar Jackson who is slippery and freaky fast when he runs. Once he gets better at reading the defense his passing, which is good now, should get much better. He may end up exceptional.

and, just as UL gains some consistency, our bowl opponent, Texas A&M, goes the other way losing their number 1 and 2 QBs to transferring. They have plenty of talent otherwise but this may hurt them in the bowl game.

Swamp Daddy :evil:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: the Quarter Back shuffle

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:00 am

What is going on with the Aggies?

I could see the #2 and #3 QB transferring, not #1 and #2.

Jake Coker and Clint Trickett left FSU with Winston as #1...Coker is guiding Alabama this year and Trickett QB'd WVU for a year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't know. I saw that too. I guess we will find out pretty soon, but I would guess something is going on with a position coach.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:24 pm

I don't know either. But I will speculate. The young men, not only at A&M but elsewhere, were lied to. They are told whatever gets them to commit. When it becomes apparent there is only room for one QB and you feel you are being jerked around, you look elsewhere. This has to do with mid schools trying to move up quickly in this National frenzy. Some schools make it clear. you will back up for a couple of years and then you will be the man for the last two. Others look for a four year wonder. In the end, the kids expectations, hopes and dreams are fed by recruiting and when reality sets in, you look for a different place to live your dream. It can't be just the kids. Happens too often.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I know, from what commits say that Ohio State tells them all that the best at their position plays. That is mostly true, but not always. Jones over Barrett was an example. Also Mike Webber, a running back from Michigan was competing for time this summer and got hurt. He was recovered enough to play in mid October. They decided to red shirt him. He was told he wouldn't redshirt. I think that was true and the coaches changed their mind when he missed time, but it still wasn't truthful.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Nobody is promised playing time, I hope. What they are promised is an opportunity to compete and play.

Most teams have 3 or 4 quarterbacks on the roster...one will be the starter. Some kids look at the recruitment lists and choose to go elsewhere to compete because the competition is too strong...and some kids are confident and will believe that they will be the starter. And it is crushing for a kid who has been "the man" since 6th grade to find out that, at the elite level, he's just another quarterback on the rostar.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm

What the kids and parents hear may not be what is said. I believe there are players that are told they will play. Strong programs where they reload rather than rebuild are more likely to be honest.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:24 am

Back in the day before scholarship limits, programs like Nebraska, Texas, and Alabama would have 125 kids on the roster. Sometimes a strategy to keep the kids from another program, sometimes to build great junior and senior depth. The recruits had to know that they may not play.

It came to a head when stuff like this occurred:

"Pittsburgh coach Johnny Majors reportedly gave scholarships to 90 freshmen in 1973, a move that came under scrutiny when the Panthers won the national championship in 1977. In response, the NCAA tried to ensure some equity of competition within particular sports."

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:58 pm

Quarterbacks transferring...

Trevor Knight transferring from Oklahoma
Kyle Allen from A&M
Dakota Prukop...to Oregon from FCS
Will Grier from Florida
Kyler Murray from A&M
Patrick Towles from Kentucky to Boston College
Will Gardner from Louisville
Coleman Key from Colorado State
Devante Kincaid from Ole Miss
Grant Rohach from Iowa State
Faton Bauta from Georgia

so far

Return to “General Discussion”