Oops.

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Oops.

Postby openSkies » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Phew, wow.

Sorry guys.

Uploaded the wrong file (the new board design) waaaay too early. Stupid computer buttons, they never do what you want.

So anyways! Here's your new board design. Sorry to spoil it for you all.

Also, sorry for anyone that had any problems. Like I said, I uploaded it on accident, so I spent 15 minutes in a panicked rush trying to get it ALL up and working.

Hope you all like the new design.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Looks good to me.
I had to change my page setting again but this is much better

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:15 pm

I thought it was my computer acting up. Anyway it looks good. You do good work under pressure. That has to be a good thing in flight school. :D
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Thanks Howdy. Sorry about the page settings. We're going to widen it about 60 pixels, and change a few more things, so beware of that =]

Spence, thanks to you, too. I do like to think that I work well under pressure, and your comment makes me feel even better.

Worst time I ever had in a plane was when we had a MAJOR landing gear problem. We spent about 3 hours in the air burning off fuel before we were going to come in and make our emergency. I kept my cool, and received lots of praise for maintaining my professionalism.

Eventually, when we were about 300ft above the ground on our emergency landing, I had one last idea. I got out of the 'brace position' (like they teach you to do on the airlines), tried one last thing, and the gear popped into place. At that point, we had about another 100ft before we hit the ground with a very bad gear problem.

We went around, testing a few more things to make sure it worked, came in and landed amidst a bunch of firetrucks (everything in the plane was turned off at the last second, and we landed without ANY power to the aircraft). Perfect landing by my instructor, who assumed the landing responsibility.

Scary, stressful, but... overall, I actually enjoyed myself!

Wow, talk about a tangent...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 am

Scary, stressful, but... overall, I actually enjoyed myself!

You mean it was fun after you found out you were going to live. :lol: I would have had to peel my underwear off.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:33 am

Us airlplane passengers appreciate the people who operate airplanes who have good instincts, just like us college football fans appreciate a football player who has good instincts. :wink:

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:40 am

Spence wrote:You mean it was fun after you found out you were going to live. :lol: I would have had to peel my underwear off.

No, I meant during haha =] I was actually taking pictures of the firetrucks (see pictures below), and joking with my instructor.

I was doing the typical thing that most people do in a stressful situation: react to instincts (check), become overly helpful (check), and become giddy (check). Some people even start to sing in really stressful situations. Interesting, 'ay?

Seriously though, I had a good time during the entire ordeal. It was a learning situation, and those things that I did learn will never be forgotten.

I have a copy of the air traffic control frequency saved as an MP3 on my computer. It's fun to listen to everyone else panicking on our behalf, and my instructor and I remaining completely calm. A pilot taking off next to us in a TransMeridian Airlines 757 was freaking out when he saw what was wrong (see his plane in photo below).

It's almost surreal. You have ATC telling you "Yeah, that looks bad from what I can tell", and a 757 Captain saying, "Yeah, it DEFINITELY looks bad", yet you're calm and collected and get what you need done.

So... anyone up for a flight? Haha.

Firetruck as we do a low-approach for ATC to confirm our gear problem.

Firetrucks as we rolled to a stop (no brakes!).

TransMeridian 757 who's crew was kind enough to take a look at our gear.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:46 am

I guess that is a defense mechanism. I took a gun away from a guy in a bar and it never once occured to me until after I had it, that I could have been killed. Afterward I realized it was probably the stupidest thing I had ever done.

You have done a really nice job with this board. It has exceeded expectations.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:35 am

the board looks good!

i've never been in a plane, never plan to :lol:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:48 am

Matt

My oldest daughter is a flight attendant for America West Airline.
They had the same kind of trouble one time.
But they made down also.
She said it's a scary experence.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:28 pm

Spence... yeah, that is kinda stupid =] But I assume it was the right thing to do, so good job. Thanks for the compliments, too.

Bama Girl... thanks, and c'mon, let's going flying!

Howdy... I actually live next to a stewardess from America West. Kind of random =] I think AW has the nicest group of flight attendents there are. And I'm sure it was scary for her. But she has a lot to do with the passengers, and if they're freaking out, it'd be a lot easier for her to freak out I'd imagine. Us pilots are all alone in the cockpit, and we're hitting so many buttons and flipping so many switches we don't have any time to be afraid. I don't think I could ever by a flight attendant. Their job seems a lot more involved and stressful than a pilots haha. I have a lot of respect for them.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Spence... yeah, that is kinda stupid =] But I assume it was the right thing to do, so good job.

I knew the guy so it wasn't as dangerous as it sounds. He is an alcoholic and the owner kicked him out he came back in, drunk with a gun, I got close enough to him to take it so I did. I don't think he had any plans to use it, but it wasn't the brightest thing I have ever done.

Return to “General Discussion”