Referees Can Stop Being Terrible Any Day Now

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Referees Can Stop Being Terrible Any Day Now

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:55 pm

Whew, great game, but a horrible call at the end of MSU/Nebraska. I don't really like MSU being a Wolverine fan, but I don't feel good about the way that game ended. I thought it was close, but the DB has every right to the field as the receiver does. I don't know how you can rule that as the receiver being pushed out of bounds. And that basically ends MSU's season, more or less, unless they win out against OSU and Iowa and the committee takes sympathy on them for this loss (all that for a #4 seed).

I guess the one good takeaway for me is that this opens the door for Michigan to win the Big 10 East outright. It would probably take MSU losing to Ohio State, which I think is likely to happen, but if we take care of Ohio State, we'd have the head-to-head.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Referees Can Stop Being Terrible Any Day Now

Postby Vileborg » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:24 am

It's good that there is reason to be optimistic about big blue again. I have a feeling the rivalry with OSU is about to hit an epic powerhouse level. It's good for the big ten and good for college football.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:39 am

They have been pretty consistent this year in calling PI if the defender physically pushed the receiver out of bounds while the ball is in the air...pushed him off his route.

Defensive holding call has been "iffier" , depending on whether the hands are over involved.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:15 am

I think the call at Michigan State was bogus. Where is the line judge? The receiver took 5 steps out of bounds. 5 steps. There was no call for contact so the replay judge had nothing to review so as much as I don't like replay, this wasn't on them. Mark Dantonio handled this situation, in public, about as well as any coach could.

What this does do is take the pressure of not losing off MSU's back and lets them play loose and wide open in a couple weeks at Ohio State. It also potentially makes The Game relevant again for both teams for the first time since 2006. Harbaugh has done a great job this year getting his guys playing as a team. I didn't think their season would be as solid as it has been. I look for a really great game in Ann Arbor if the Buckeye's can hold their end up and get there with a zero in the loss column.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:56 am

I don't think officials are any better or worse than they have ever been, maybe better. It's replay that is the difference. I watched a 9-minute delay a few weeks ago for the replay officials to make a decision on an officials call. An instant, bang bang call that gets that kind of scrutiny. It is a deception inducing practice that make all of us believer the there is "liberty and justice for all." Personally, I don't care. I just add it to one more topic for the water cooler..
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:50 pm

I don't think referees are worse. I just think they need to be full time. Replay is a crutch. I hate when a call changes the game. The best officials are the ones you don't notice. I think that should be the goal.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”