Virginia Tech

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Virginia Tech

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:49 am

I was going to gauge our Virginia Tech fans' opinion on VT right now. Do you think it is time for Beamer to step down? I know he can basically do what he wants, but VT seems to be succumbing to Bobby Bowden-itis. VT's been trending down for a few seasons now and now they're in jeopardy of missing the postseason (obviously Brewer was out, but still).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Virginia Tech

Postby donovan » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 am

I have no dog in the Virginia Tech arena, but I have an opinion! There is a syndrome surrounding the attitudes of college football. It permeates the entire structure. It is rooted in this nation's addiction to instant gratification. We want it now and most often now is not quick enough. College football's obsession is with the goal of being ranked number one in the nation. Nothing else matters to the rank and file and even hardcore fans have become singularly focused on this issue. Coach Beamer who has given more to Virginia Tech than anyone can count is now being scrutinized because his team is not in the ranking hunt. This is no different than corporations firing CEO's because last quarter. Long range planning in this country is just he next quarter's profits. I'm not saying there is not times for change, but contracts mean nothing and loyalty is scoffed at while draconian measure rule. Off with their heads.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:45 am

I don't think the game has passed him by. I think, as happens with lots of long term coaches, is that he probably doesn't recruit and hard as he used to do.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:28 pm

I have been to many games there and pull for the Hokies 95% of the time. Not sure if it is Beamer, but I do agree about the lackluster recruiting. Is it a going through the motions type of thing? If so, that crap needs to stop with a fan base like VT possesses. I know there are different types of ball playing strategies. Defense and run the clock. But the offense has to do something, anything, at some point in the game. I know the offense isn't always bad, but all you ever hear about is Beamerball and special teams. Well, how is that working out for you with 4 losses, many at home, and now fighting like crazy for a bowl game?

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Virginia Tech's offenses have always been littered with good athletes, but the scheme has never really unleashed their potential. Brewer and Motley both are solid QBs who can run an offense. Bucky Hodges is a great pass-catching tight end. Cam Phillips and Isaiah Ford are good players. They have four running backs who all worthy of starting, plus Rogers is an offensive weapon at fullback. Their offense has been producing a bit, but lately the defense hasn't been quite good enough. So I have no idea what the issue is there.

If you implemented a fresh scheme with these guys, I think they would be a top 25 team again, easily. I'm really hoping to see Chip Kelly land there. He could do wonders for them in recruiting and it'd make Virginia Tech a big-time program again overnight.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Coach Beamer is showing what looks to be a man that is not in the best of health. Always down key, he now is slurring words in interviews and is not very energetic on the sidelines.

I would not be surprised to see him retire at the end of the season or next. He may want to go out on top with a good season.

VT has always prided itself on the "lunch bucket" work ethos....just joes, not stars. And their recruiting has been that...FSU and Ohio State have twice as many five star 2016 recruits as VT has four stars. And that is not difficult when VT has only one 4 star (Rivals). It gets tougher when VT falls behind UNC, Duke, Clemson, Miami, and Louisville in recruiting.

A new coach can energize a program (let's see how that works for the Canes, since they are well situated re recruiting). It worked at Baylor, at FSU, Houston, and others...and I expect a new coach will have Miami moving.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:54 pm

The main tendency for the down fall is the same thing that happened with Bowden. Too many people riding the bus and not enough people pushing. Foster pulled the bus along for many years but even that has faded in recent years.

I'd be OK with Foster getting a shot. I think he's earned a chance to show what he can do. I think Beamer wants his son to take over but his son hasn't done anything since joining except ride the wave his father created.

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 pm

The situation with Beamer reminds me of one at a school a lil North with a long time coach, Joe Pa and Penn State. NOT the other garbage that went on, lets not even go there again, but in the late 90's early 00's people were all over him to retire, he couldn't recruit good offense, the team was putting in losing records etc. Well shortly after he had a big year going to the Orange Bowl and then the Rose. It went downhill again after that, on and off. I'd like to think Beamer could pull out 1 more big run in the ACC but they appear well behind teams like Clemson, FSU, and Notre Dame. It may be better to just step down after the season but it cant be easy to walk away.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:53 pm

I do remember Penn State losing 6-4 to Iowa in '03 or '04 and people were calling for his head. :lol:

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:20 pm

The thing that seems so apparent to me is that when the wheels come off, they really do come off. This is going back to the past a bit, but the Hokies have never won back to back bowl games until recently. Now, it seems like they are fighting to even make a bowl game. They have been tied for either 4th, 5th or 6th the last three years in the ACC.

I am not saying it is Beamer's time to go, but as a fan, I am tired of the vanilla playbook, losses like the one to JMU, losing 6-3 to Wake Forest, losing to East Carolina after beating Ohio State at Ohio State, losing to Duke and Maryland at Lane Stadium, etc. etc. etc.

I remember when Stinespring was getting blamed for a lot of the offensive playcalling and such. He isn't in that position any longer. Now the Hokies are on an all time streak. Just not the one teams like to be on.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:01 pm

It looks like Coach Beamer is retiring after this season. Good luck to him. He is/was a class act and a great football coach.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:52 am

We all saw this coming....hope that he gets healthy and enjoys his retirement.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

highfly24
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby highfly24 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:04 pm

billybud wrote:We all saw this coming....hope that he gets healthy and enjoys his retirement.

Agreed. We knew it wouldn't be long but I thought he might go 1 more season. I don't seem them beating UNC but anything can happen in Blacksburg. I'm sure the team will play hard and try to get him 1 last bowl game, even if it is something like the SuperFlush inthesun .com bowl

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:59 pm

If they make it to bowl eligible. They will get a decent bowl just because the fan base usually travels well.

It's really a bad year for a coaching search. You have a lot of big name programs that will be vying for the stand out coaches. After the loss to Iowa St. I would not be surprised to see Texas back on the market. I don't think giving Strong time included getting blanked by Iowa St. If something happens I would not be surprised to see Tom Herman at Houston be selected and bring Major Applewhite home as OC.

As for VT. I don't think they will be the first choice with all the spots open. Which means they will need to find an as yet undiscovered up and coming coach. I would be ok with Foster taking over. He's earned a shot. If they pick anyone else he's probably leaving.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:27 am

I think of Virginia Tech as an elite coaching job, mostly thanks to Frank Beamer's efforts in raising the program's profile. I think they're situated pretty well. Virginia is a state with a lot of talent, and you can poach from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the Carolinas, and Florida. Like I keep saying, if/when Chip Kelly is on the market, I think this is the job he'll want. Miami has some internal issues, USC wants a "pro-style" coach, and Maryland has to contend with Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State which greatly limits the appeal of that job. And Virginia Tech is superior to Virginia when it comes to football potential.

You heard it here first 8)

Return to “General Discussion”