Baylor?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Baylor?

Postby Spence » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 am

Why does Briles have his starting QB in the game with a big lead and 4 minutes left? Now he may lose him for the rest of the year. Are style points worth that?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Baylor?

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:37 am

What a shame for Seth Russell. He is a true gamer. It was a stupid decision to keep him in there. The pressure of making it into the top four should not override the priority of player safety.

I hope this just downright eats at Briles conscience.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:07 pm

I don't think it was a style points kind of thing. A lot of coaches leave their first stringers in in those situations. It was 35-20 and Iowa State had strung two consecutive scores together. Coaches want their best unit on the field if there is even a 2% chance of losing the game, so I understand that.

Now Arian Foster yesterday was absolutely stupid. The game was 44-20 with 4 minutes left and he tore his achilles. That's when you don't want your first-stringers on the field.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I thought Baylor had 42 when he got hurt. That was the problem. 42-20 with either 4or6 minutes left. You are taking a chance. Even if you leave your QB in, why not let your RB earn his money.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:41 pm

It was 35-20 when Baylor was driving. They notched a FG on that drive and then Stidham threw for the touchdown to make it 45-20. I don't really like the call either, but coaches get really cautious when it comes to closing out games that appear to be tightening. The last thing the coach wants is to pull the starters and blow a game, even though Stidham is really good. I think people are making a mistake if they're going to count out Baylor with Stidham. I think the Bears will run the football more than they do now, but he'll step in and be almost as effective as Russell.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Eric wrote:It was 35-20 when Baylor was driving. They notched a FG on that drive and then Stidham threw for the touchdown to make it 45-20. I don't really like the call either, but coaches get really cautious when it comes to closing out games that appear to be tightening. The last thing the coach wants is to pull the starters and blow a game, even though Stidham is really good. I think people are making a mistake if they're going to count out Baylor with Stidham. I think the Bears will run the football more than they do now, but he'll step in and be almost as effective as Russell.

OK. I thought it was 42-20. Still run your offense without the QB running or at least without letting him seek out contact. He could slide or go out of bounds. The goal at that point in the game is to move the ball enough to run the clock out. Run some reverses. Run between the tackles. Throw a screen or a quick slant pass. Make the clock tick down as much as possible.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Accumulating style points. Several talk show hosts have said they don't think the backup is ready to play because Briles runs such a complex offense. I think they are off this week so we'll find out in a couple weeks what he's got against K St.

Return to “General Discussion”