Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby armchairqb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Coincidentally, since you brought that up ...

Miami Hurricanes former [thank heavens] head coach, Al Golden, maybe taking an assistant job in the nfl.

That, I feel, suits him better. I wish him well. Just, you know, elsewhere.

Golden could likely cut the mustard at an AAC level school, maybe at an Iowa State as far as Power Five schools go. I agree an NFL assistant job could work out for that guy in the short term.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:42 pm

Southern Miss decided to not only go with an FCS HC as their HC, they decided to go in-state. Jay Hopson has put together a couple of good years for Alcorn State of the SWAC. He will be introduced as the Golden Eagles HC via presser Monday 2/1/16.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Alcorn-State-Jay-Hopson-named-Southern-Miss-head-coach
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 am

Ahhhh!

I remember the Southern Miss of old. Before the developed chasm between the SEC and the "other". I remember Southern Miss Beating Alabama, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and FSU.

And having Bret Farve at quarterback.

Now. like many fans of many teams, the fans of Southern mourn the better days of the past.

From a fan who is channeling vintage Donovan:

The football program at the University of Southern Mississippi is at death’s door for the only time in its history, with only faint signs of potential resuscitation visible to people like me, who care enough to look. The story of how it got to this point is a cautionary tale not just for those who love the historically resource-strapped yet successful program, but also for those who love American football, despite all its flaws. Football’s greatest threat is not the existential crisis posed by sub-concussive brain injuries, but the kind of thinking that pushed my alma mater into a bizarre dystopia is hastening the onset of a concurrent apocalypse that nobody sees coming.

Basically, the SEC is going to kill football.

“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:48 pm

And, by the SEC, you clearly mean espn...

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 pm

This weekend, surrounded by a skein of grandchildren, they never seem to be in a state of rest, one granddaughter said she was not thrilled about history. "Boring," was the word she used. So we watched the first inning of Ken Burn's baseball. She resisted at first but then relented. At the end, she wanted to watch more. She said, "Grandpa, this isn't about baseball, is it?" I told her I didn't think it was. She left with my collection and if I am lucky, I will never see it again, but someday her children will.

This why I like this site. It's not about football. Mr. Billybud reminded me of that. This site can hasten us into an awareness of or own condition, provide inspiration for our thoughts and rouse us to pursue the betterment of all.

Because of technology, change today happens exponentially. College football is no exception. Our ethics and morals are in an evolutionary quagmire. College football is no exception.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Very nice Mr. Donovan.....yes...family is what is important...and yep, our immediate descendants do learn from their elders and often sports is an entry to deeper meanings.

I really like that you are in a good place, with grandkids at your knee.

Me? I'm only 69, much too young for grandkids.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 pm

donovan wrote:This weekend, surrounded by a skein of grandchildren, they never seem to be in a state of rest, one granddaughter said she was not thrilled about history. "Boring," was the word she used. So we watched the first inning of Ken Burn's baseball. She resisted at first but then relented. At the end, she wanted to watch more. She said, "Grandpa, this isn't about baseball, is it?" I told her I didn't think it was. She left with my collection and if I am lucky, I will never see it again, but someday her children will.

This why I like this site. It's not about football. Mr. Billybud reminded me of that. This site can hasten us into an awareness of or own condition, provide inspiration for our thoughts and rouse us to pursue the betterment of all.

Because of technology, change today happens exponentially. College football is no exception. Our ethics and morals are in an evolutionary quagmire. College football is no exception.

I feel the same way. That was a cool story. I am in the same boat with Billbud on grandkids. My oldest is a senior in high school. I will be 62 when my youngest graduates from high school. 69 seems like about the right age.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:41 am

I was a late bloomer...didn't get married until 37....military, many years of school, building career...oops! My clock is running, where did the time go?

Now, my only child tells me that he is in no hurry....he likes the way his mom and I are and if it takes him a while to find the right one, it takes him a while. Harry Chapin had a point.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Kentucky has named former Miami standout wide receiver Lamar Thomas the Wildcats’ new wide receivers coach.

Mark Stoops announced the hire Tuesday, according to the school. Stoops hired Thomas away from archrival Louisville just hours before Signing Day.

Thomas had spent the past two seasons at Louisville and the 2013 season as the receivers coach at Western Kentucky all under head coach Bobby Petrino.

Thomas played on two national title teams at Miami, in 1989 and 1991, when new UK offensive coordinator Eddie Gran was an assistant on the ’Canes staff.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

And it's official for Al Golden.

He's headed to the nfl, as he signed on with the Detroit Lions to be their Tight End Coach.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”