Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Spurrier Walks - O'Leary Quits as AD - Sark is Canned

Postby armchairqb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Scottie Montgomery, introduced by ECU as their new HC, via presser today.

Willie Fritz at Tulane and Matt Viator at Louisiana-Monroe will be introduced as HC for their respective schools tomorrow via press conferences.

Remaining FBS schools with HC openings:

1. BYU
2. Georgia Southern
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I do not know how the coaching search is going at Georgia Southern ... but BYU seems to be on the hot track.

My guess, is we will hear that position filled in the next week --- that is, unless the guy they hire wants to wait until after his current team plays their Bowl Game, before making the official announcement.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:45 pm

Oregon State DC Kalani Sitake named BYU's HC shortly after the Las Vegas Bowl.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:31 am

He's certainly stepping into a better roster of talent, and a team with a winning drive --- it'll be interesting to see how he does with a program that is already on the up swing.

Could be a good move for both parties.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:48 am

I have mixed feelings. He has strong ties to the Polynesian players. Serves as a mentor to those programs. As large and strong as the Polynesian players are, they have not been the winning factor. Being Head Coach of a large program is not like being an assistant to any program.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Georgia Southern has named their new head coach:

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Tyson-Summers-named-Georgia-Southern-head-coach

Summers brings a good bit of enthusiasm and he's from the Statesboro area.

Also noted: Michigan hires Boston College DC Don Brown as their DC. Big hire. The BC "D" was well coached despite a hobbled offense in 2015.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Pete Lembo leaves his HC job at Ball State for an assistant job at Maryland; therefore he is making possibly double the $ than being a Ball State HC.

Dennis Franchione retires as Texas State HC.

I wish Ball State would go down a level. They've brought in less than 10,000 fans per home game the last few seasons. They aren't the only school in this general area that needs to do this.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:52 pm

armchairqb wrote:Pete Lembo leaves his HC job at Ball State for an assistant job at Maryland; therefore he is making possibly double the $ than being a Ball State HC.

Dennis Franchione retires as Texas State HC.

I wish Ball State would go down a level. They've brought in less than 10,000 fans per home game the last few seasons. They aren't the only school in this general area that needs to do this.

Your point is well taken. Problem is, if they get any TV coverage, it far surpasses the gate money. Use to be people that attended games were spectators. Now they are active participants compared to those of us with remotes in our hands.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:25 pm

New Orleans Saints QB coach Mike Neu accepts the HC gig at Ball State. He was a four year starting QB for Ball State in the early 1990s.

Larry Coker has stepped down as HC of UTSA for personal reasons.

Open HC jobs:
1. UTSA
2. Texas State

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:34 pm

Will UTSA or Texas State finally be the schools that get Cumbie, Meachem, or Kendall Briles? Time will tell. :idea:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Eric wrote:Will UTSA or Texas State finally be the schools that get Cumbie, Meachem, or Kendall Briles? Time will tell. :idea:

For Texas State, that would be neither of them. The Bobcats have named James Madison University HC Everitt Withers as their new HC.

UTSA, you're on the clock.

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:55 pm

I believe we can finally put this thread to rest. LSU recruiting coordinator/RB coach/assoc head coach Frank Wilson is now HC at UTSA.

http://www.coachingsearch.com/article?a=Frank-Wilson-named-UTSA-head-coach

Looking forward to an exciting CFB 2016 season; until August, be well all.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 am

What a cycle of events for coaches this past year.

I don't know if we will see any breakout performances from any of these programs with new hires in the next season. Though, I am sure we will see some potential flopping out of a couple.

As for August ... if, it is so that you will be inactive until then, take care, and see you round kickoff.

Again, my thanks for your keeping this thread alive during the coaching grab bag. You did a nice job of continuing the relevancy with each update.

For myself; I'll be around for the signing class --- then again through Spring ball --- and periodically throughout the Summer.

Cane... [__]

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Yes Cane, going into some sort of CFB hibernation is the general rule this time of year for me. But one more thing happened on the coaching front (albeit, I'm a few days late on it):

Southern Miss HC Todd Monken leaves the school to be OC for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

1. The Bucs will pay the $385,000 buyout.
2. Southern Miss now faces the same problem CMU faced at approximately this time last year; making sure you have an HC for National Signing Day. CMU didn't have one, yet ultimately made a hire that has turned out better than expected so far.

3. It was a nice turnaround for the Golden Eagles in 2015, maybe there's a hire (likely at the FCS level, IMO) that can maintain last year's performance.

4. For gosh sakes, it's the Tampa Bay Buccaneers; the Glazers fired Jon Gruden and Lovie Smith after improving from the year before. Can't say a move up doesn't improve the resume and the wallet. With that organization, I'd save up as much money as possible for the future because that ownership runs on a short fuse.

Now I'm a little wound up...we'll see if I can still hold out until August... :lol:

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Coincidentally, since you brought that up ...

Miami Hurricanes former [thank heavens] head coach, Al Golden, maybe taking an assistant job in the nfl.

That, I feel, suits him better. I wish him well. Just, you know, elsewhere.

Cane... [__]

Return to “General Discussion”