RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 3...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 3...

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Okay. So I turn on the TCU Texas game about 3 minutes into the second quarter. I saw the score. Enough said. But really, 10 years ago who would have predicted Baylor and YOU, both to be this good? Improve, yes. This good. Wow.

Virginia Tech. How you disappoint me.

Michigan on a defensive romp as of late. The next two games will be the real deals. I would be happy with one win from those two games.

Clemson. Good job. Now, go and lose a team that will have 4 wins at the conclusion of the season.

Tennessee. Lost 3 games by combined 12 points. How many minutes did the Vols have the lead in these games?

I am sure I missed some.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS PART 3...

Postby billybud » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Huh?

You sure have not been following Clemson. In the past three seasons, Clemson has lost to one 10 win team...and not another single team with fewer than 11 wins.
Last edited by billybud on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:30 pm

You must have been thinking of the Buckeyes and had a mental slip.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm

3 seasons does not make a team's resume'... I pull for the ACC like crazy. Urban dictionary even defines pulling a Clemson or Clemsoning... I meant in the college football world altogether. I just meant a good win hopefully isn't followed up by an awful loss.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:52 pm

The ACC is a dumpster fire led by a train wreck this year. So many teams have made moves that seem to intimate that they are ready to step up only to choke the following week.

Even FSU who is light years ahead of the rest of the conference is not living up to their normal dominance.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:29 pm

billybud wrote:You must have been thinking of the Buckeyes and had a mental slip.

Ohio State hasn't lost to a team with a bad record for over a year.......yet. Maryland is this week.....we will see. They are definitely on a path toward self destruction. Playing like they don't want to play in the playoffs this year..........or even a bowl game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 am

Vileborg wrote:The ACC is a dumpster fire led by a train wreck this year. So many teams have made moves that seem to intimate that they are ready to step up only to choke the following week.

Even FSU who is light years ahead of the rest of the conference is not living up to their normal dominance.

I don't think that FSU is any better than their rank this year....But saying that, no one has yet scored closer than 8 points of them either....and you can't say that about TCU, Ohio State, Michigan State, Florida, etc.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:59 am

I don't know what to say yet about this year's teams...

TCU has looked strong and not looked strong, same with Ohio State, Georgia, Ole Miss, Mchigan State, Alabama, UCLA....and FSU has been sleep walking, playing at very low level with this young team.

Has parity hit us?

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Theses are wins over the last ten years. I attribute Boise's status to a weak conference, weak opponents. I recognized on the road they have beaten, TCU, Georiga, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington, Utah and BYU, but these were just anomalies

1. Boise State — 113 wins
2. Ohio State — 110 wins
3. Alabama — 107 wins
4. Oregon — 106 wins
5. LSU — 103 wins
6. Oklahoma — 101 wins
7. TCU — 100 wins
8. USC — 99 wins
9. Wisconsin — 98 wins
10. Florida State — 96 wins
11. Virginia Tech — 96 wins
12. Florida — 94 wins
13. Georgia — 94 wins
14. Texas — 94 wins
15. Missouri — 91 wins
16. BYU — 90 wins
17. Penn State — 89 wins
18. Clemson — 89 wins
19. Nebraska — 88 wins
20. West Virginia — 88 wins
21. Auburn — 87 wins
22. Cincinnati — 87 wins
23. Northern Illinois — 86 wins
24. Michigan State — 84 wins
25. South Carolina — 84 wins
26. Utah — 84 wins
27. Oklahoma State — 84 wins
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:46 pm

billybud wrote:I don't know what to say yet about this year's teams...

TCU has looked strong and not looked strong, same with Ohio State, Georgia, Ole Miss, Mchigan State, Alabama, UCLA....and FSU has been sleep walking, playing at very low level with this young team.

Has parity hit us?

Ohio State hasn't looked anything but pathetic yet this year besides Ezekiel Elliott. They lost Devin Smith and Mike Bennet last year. They are guys that haven't been relplaced. Smith could get behind any defense we played and make a get catch. Bennett, working in the interior line, made everyone on the line better. That is basically the only losses from last year's team. So what is wrong with the Buckeyes? Too much coolaid I guess. I never really expected to repeat. Only a few really exceptional teams have repeated. I did expect them to compete to make the playoffs. They haven't. It is beyond me that people keep them #1 in the polls. They may have the worst resume against the weakest schedule of any number 1 team to date. People expect Cardale Jones to be a world beater, but he wasn't last year. He functioned really well against a dumbed down offense with Zeke Elliott carrying the heavy load. JT Barrett was a Heisman candidate last year. He can read defenses. He is the QB who did function at a high level. He can't play basically because of politics. Jones is from Cleveland Glenville. Half of our recruited players come from northern Ohio including lots of current NFL players that went to Cleveland Glenville. If Jones isn't allowed to suceed or fail in public Ohio State risks fracturing that Glenville pipeline at a time when Michigan is on an uptick. That pipeline is the one that Jim Tressel used to send Michigan into the stone age in the first place. This season looks to be the payback to Ted Ginn Sr. and the Glenville pipeline.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:22 pm

donovan wrote:Theses are wins over the last ten years. I attribute Boise's status to a weak conference, weak opponents. I recognized on the road they have beaten, TCU, Georiga, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington, Utah and BYU, but these were just anomalies

1. Boise State — 113 wins
2. Ohio State — 110 wins
3. Alabama — 107 wins
4. Oregon — 106 wins
5. LSU — 103 wins
6. Oklahoma — 101 wins
7. TCU — 100 wins
8. USC — 99 wins
9. Wisconsin — 98 wins
10. Florida State — 96 wins
11. Virginia Tech — 96 wins
12. Florida — 94 wins
13. Georgia — 94 wins
14. Texas — 94 wins
15. Missouri — 91 wins
16. BYU — 90 wins
17. Penn State — 89 wins
18. Clemson — 89 wins
19. Nebraska — 88 wins
20. West Virginia — 88 wins
21. Auburn — 87 wins
22. Cincinnati — 87 wins
23. Northern Illinois — 86 wins
24. Michigan State — 84 wins
25. South Carolina — 84 wins
26. Utah — 84 wins
27. Oklahoma State — 84 wins

Boise has been #1 in wins 2005-15 (so far) over current FBS schools...117 wins-20 losses.

Boise has had a good run.

collegefbfan-8898
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby collegefbfan-8898 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:56 pm

Wow, no Notre Dame and no Michigan. The last ten years, and these two schools don't make the list. Made me do a double take.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:09 am

Michigan has had three losing seasons in the last ten, and six seasons of seven wins or fewer....a bad ten years as far as Michigan goes...

Notre Dame has had ups and downs with their downs not as low as Michigan's...But the Irish had six seasons with 8 or fewer wins....

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 am

Winning seasons over a long period of time is good for the school's alumni, their ardent fans and those of us that have no real life. I suggest, however, that college football, by its very definition should be judged each season independently for all other years. That is what wins and losses do. There are some schools that never seem to rebuild, just reload. They have programs that run consistently year to year, but in the end they play with the players they have this year, not last years who have left or recruits who will not see the field.

It seems to me that if each year's win and loss record can not determine a ranking, then the level where this all stops is right there. Probably at conference championships, though I favor just regular league play to make that determination. I also should note I still use Dixon Ticonderoga Pencils and yellow legal pads. (I have a daughter that reminds me TV sets can not be bought where the picture is in color. Why? I ask.)
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:32 pm

donovan wrote:Winning seasons over a long period of time is good for the school's alumni, their ardent fans and those of us that have no real life. I suggest, however, that college football, by its very definition should be judged each season independently for all other years. That is what wins and losses do. There are some schools that never seem to rebuild, just reload. They have programs that run consistently year to year, but in the end they play with the players they have this year, not last years who have left or recruits who will not see the field.

It seems to me that if each year's win and loss record can not determine a ranking, then the level where this all stops is right there. Probably at conference championships, though I favor just regular league play to make that determination. I also should note I still use Dixon Ticonderoga Pencils and yellow legal pads. (I have a daughter that reminds me TV sets can not be bought where the picture is in color. Why? I ask.)

The only fair way to do a playoff is to take the conference champs and play them off. The school's, though, don't want to lose the control that allows them to maximise their TV money. Color or no color.

Return to “General Discussion”