Annual Ritual

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Annual Ritual

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Well, make it 1-10 over the last 11 years. 2003 was the last year I actually had fun watching an Ohio State / Michigan game. 2003 was 11 years ago :roll: . It's been a decade since this game has even mattered, and you can't call it a rivalry anymore, at least until something changes. I still refuse to put Michigan back up as my avatar until Hoke gets fired :lol:

The biggest story here in a meaningless game where Ohio State beat a mediocre opponent is that J.T. Barrett looks like he's been knocked out for the entire year. If Cardale Jones puts a decent performance together and they beat the one-dimensional Wisconsin Badgers and something happens in front of them in the rankings, you have to wonder how the committee will treat a team like the Buckeyes who, if there's enough carnage, might have a worthy resume but be without their best player.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Annual Ritual

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:46 pm

So it is freezing, everyone is bundled up, as you would think, and Hoke is in a pull over and not cap.....that should be your first clue?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:02 pm

It wasn't freezing. It is 47 in Columbus right now.

Barrett is done for the season. Broken or dislocated ankle is what we are hearing. Jones has ability. Not enlighten to win. National championship.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:07 pm

Spence wrote:It wasn't freezing. It is 47 in Columbus right now.

Barrett is done for the season. Broken or dislocated ankle is what we are hearing. Jones has ability. Not enlighten to win. National championship.

47...like I said, it was freezing.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

:lol: :lol:

Eric, you guys did put us out of the playoffs. Just not in the way intended.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Yeah it was unfortunate. I think Wisconsin will win against Jones because he is completely green and his game isn't suited to the option game. That outcome will depend on how well he throws the deep ball, since Ohio State's offense is basically predicated on read options and bombs downfield. If they do win, we'll have to see if the committee will put them in with a backup QB. It's unfair and it renders all of their prior team accomplishments moot, but I think this committee has a "forward-thinking" approach. They've made it a point to rank teams differently than traditional polls have, so I think they would do something like that.

Still, I don't think Ohio State is one of the top four teams even with Barrett. Some of the B1G defenses are just that terrible, and a team like Minnesota shouldn't crack the top 25. Can you imagine Minnesota against an SEC team in a New Year's bowl? Put your top point total on the SEC team. They have no threat in the forward passing game and they're supposed to take on big and fast front sevens who will be selling out to stop the run. Anyway, I'm rambling :D

I think this is the beginning of a sea change at Michigan with the hiring of a new coach. Michigan is perilously close to becoming an also-ran program, especially if they make the wrong hire again. If the next coach tanks, we're talking about an entire decade of mediocrity. It's tough to sell tradition to 18 year olds who may not have even heard of guys like Chad Henne, Braylon Edwards, Charles Woodson, etc. 18 year olds like recent history, not their dad's history, so these last seven years have basically created a generation of incoming recruits who don't think much of Michigan's football program. It's a great academic school, so it'll never lose that appeal, but that will only get you so far. It's because of this that I think the administration will be 100% all-in and serious on making the right hire. I think they are prepared to make Harbaugh or Miles the highest-paid college coach. The timing could work out because it looks like the 49ers are tanking and the higher-ups seem to hate Harbaugh for some reason. There will always be the threat of him returning to the NFL, but I'd rather take wins now rather than worry about hypotheticals.

I actually don't think Michigan is that far away. The offense needs a complete overhaul, possibly personnel-wise. But, I think with Speight being the starter at QB (there's no way Shane Morris should beat him out) and Green returning at RB, really all they need are better approaches to coaching the offensive line and the receivers. I imagine Funchess will be gone, but the receivers are awful. Watching Darboh is painful. He has no idea how to get separation, he is always blanketed. Anyway, that kind of stuff. The offensive line has to work on footwork and that type of thing. They are a young unit and with the right coaching, they could grow into something passable. Gardner holds on to the ball too long, so that had a lot to do with the issues they had. Harbaugh would be perfect because he could bring back Michigan football, with fullbacks and huge size upfront. It could help out a guy like Speight by not putting too much on his plate. Anyway, I can dream, can't I? :roll:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 pm

I think if Harbaugh would come back to college, Michigan would be the only school he would come back to. I do think Ohio State could have made the top 4 with Barrett. I don't think Jones can take us there. He has a better arm than both Miller and Barrett, but he doesn't make his progressions very well.

I wanted to say something about Gardner. He is a class kid. He helped guys up the whole game and when Barrett went down, he came onto the field to show his concern. Actually both teams played tonight like they knew what the rivalry was about. I think we have gotten away from that the last few years. Last year a couple Buckeyes showed their butts. We have had examples of that kind of behavior from both teams recently. This year both teams were respectful. That has always defined this game. No one more so than Devin Gardner. Props to him and I hope he has a good career at the next level. Hopefully he gets drafted as a WR.

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:19 am

It saddens me to see Michigan have the kind of year it has had. When Michigan and VT played in the bowl game I was so happy to see the two teams play each other but this year they might see each other again in the Toilet bowl. I hope Michigan gets it back on track even though i still probably pull for the Buckeyes when they play.

Ohio St. has come together quite a bit since the loss to Virginia Tech. Wow, how the two teams fortunes have changed since then. If they can get by Wisconsin next week, and do make the playoffs, they will have a month to get the kid ready. That's a long time and I wouldn't bet against Meyer on that one.

There will never be a perfect team but then again we only need them to be perfect for a moment.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

Bump :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”