The SEC Hits the Road

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

The SEC Hits the Road

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:37 am

I have to say, it was interesting to see a big-time SEC school in a big-time non-conference environment, if you count Kansas State as a big-time college football home environment. This conference almost always plays non-conference matchups at home or at neutral (i.e., friendly) venues, but the biggest way to test yourself is to go on the road. Kudos to Auburn tonight as they played a great game defensively and kudos to Kansas State's defense, one of the very few who have managed to keep Malzahn's offense in check. It was uncharacteristic of Kansas State to have as many goof ups as they made tonight, but those are the breaks.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The SEC Hits the Road

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am

The money is made at home. Can't blame them for not wanting to stray.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:25 pm

This actually impresses me less than Missouri playing at a MAC venue.

No doubt K State made their mistakes; 3 missed field goals, 9 points would have won it for the `Kats.

As for Auburn, if their secondary has to arm draggin' the receivers without getting flagged, then they do not look like a #5 team to me.

The refs missed some huge pass interference calls. If you let the guys get away with that, they are going to keep doing it until the laundry hits the floor ... and in this case, the refs didn't, so the Tigers' did.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:09 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:This actually impresses me less than Missouri playing at a MAC venue.

No doubt K State made their mistakes; 3 missed field goals, 9 points would have won it for the `Kats.

As for Auburn, if their secondary has to arm draggin' the receivers without getting flagged, then they do not look like a #5 team to me.

The refs missed some huge pass interference calls. If you let the guys get away with that, they are going to keep doing it until the laundry hits the floor ... and in this case, the refs didn't, so the Tigers' did.

Are you saying the Big 12 refs gave the benefit to Auburn. Interestingly, the Arkansas board that I frequent thought the refs were favoring K State. I guess it depends on the color of glasses that one wears.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Did they actually use Big XII officials?

Generally, cross conference games use neutral conference refs.

As far as blinders ... well, I have nothing vested in either Kansas State or Auburn ... but, Rah! Rah! SEC guys might.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:38 am

K State beat themselves, Auburn jumped in, and the refs piled-on!

All DB's use their hands too much, the SEC let's this go more than any other conference. I give Auburn credit for not being bored to death against K State, it works on many opponents.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:30 am

Cane from the Bend wrote:Did they actually use Big XII officials?

Generally, cross conference games use neutral conference refs.

As far as blinders ... well, I have nothing vested in either Kansas State or Auburn ... but, Rah! Rah! SEC guys might.

The announcers did say the officials were from the Big 12. I have seen a Big Ten non-conference game where the officials were from 1 conference and the replay booth from another.

I do find that most fans think the officials screwed their team. Yesterday on a Hawkeye board the feeling was about the number of bad spots and a mysterious pass interference call against Iowa. I would imagine the Pittsburgh fans also felt they got a lot of bad calls. Actually kind of comical, how some people are always complaining about the officiating.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Return to “General Discussion”