Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Thanks for the comments Colorado, but as you can probably tell (up top), we've got our new logo (for the most part).

We didn't go with a football or a helmet because it's just too childish. It's something you'll see when you go to a mediocre website about football. We are trying to get CFP's site OUT of that category, and into a more professional look. I think we've got that accomplished with the new design, but you all won't be able to see that until it's up and running (sometime over the off-season).

And we know about the brand recognition. That was the whole issue in regards to the logo. The CFP management team and I had a 'conference call' every night this week, trying to think of something. I would make 5 designs, let them see it, and tell me what they did/didn't like. From that, we got our final logo for 2006 (and years to come).

We've taken a big step when it comes to the recognition, because we're changing everything. Gone is the bright red and bright blue, and now we have white with a darker, more subdued red (easier on the eyes, and more professional). Gone is the horrible logo I designed for CFP back in 1990-what-ever. And finally, gone is the 'CollegeFootballPoll.com' name. (Everyone refers to it as CFP, so why shouldn't we?). As you can see from the maroon banner up top, it's now "CFP (collegefootballpoll.com)". It just all looks 100 times better.

Thanks for all the ideas and helpful tips, though!

PS - We would never, ever steal someone's logo. I was joking around about that. I've had too many people rip off my designs to ever do that, and CFP doesn't need any trouble. Especially from someone as large as ESPN. They're probably got 5 of the top 100 lawyers in the nation. I'm not even sure we have a lawyer at all haha.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Matt, I like the design for the most part, but hear me out.
C gives you something to work with, it's circular. And it's also the first letter in your product, so you need to give it emphasis.
Secondly, I'm not saying you need to 'copy' a helmet, but work from that perspective (mentally). I hate to say it but your 'final' design is rather plain. Sorry if that hurts your feelings any.
A C in the shape of a circle gives your product a strong base to stand on.
A FP superimposed in the C, in script letters gives it some class, and it would also complete the illusion. (plus they fit).
Finally, if necessary you can still include the web address (yes in a triangle), that completes the 'illusion' of a football helmet.
It' not supposed to be a helmet just resemble one.
But if you are satisfied with your design there isn't much I can say.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:30 pm

Like I said, I sent the management team a good 10-15 designs, not to mention all of the designs I have come up with over the past 5 years.

The current one is the only one they have ever really liked, and they are nuts about it.

I tried the circular C, I've tried scripted font, I've tried implementing them all together like most colleges do ('aTm' for Texas A&M, etc). Nothing really works. The F and P are so similar that they don't fit together.

Thanks, though.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Hey Matt. I like your design just fine.

I hope Mr. Lincoln doesn't mine if I paraphrase one of his quotes. It might be helpful to you at some point.

'You can please all the people some of the time
and some of the people all the time,
but you cannot please all the people all the time.'

-- Abraham Lincoln.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Thanks Mountainman =]

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm

Matt, I came up with a 'compromise'.
In effect it takes the principle behind the Chicago Cubs logo (Capital C) and combines it with the F & P. If it's done properly it doesn't look too much like the Chicago Cubs, plus it has the aesthetic I think you need.
But I can't copy it here for you, so you have to use your imagination.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:36 pm

************************** :wink: ************************

Return to “General Discussion”