U.S. Army All-American Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

U.S. Army All-American Bowl

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:27 pm

For all of you guys who follow recruiting or would like to take a first look at some of the stars of tomorrow, the high school all star game is on NBC tomorrow at 1:00 Eastern time. It is played in San Antonio and several of the highschoolers will commit to their college of choice. It is a pretty fun game to watch. Lots better then the senior bowl and the rest of the college all star games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:03 pm

I think it is too, I know I'm going to be watching! The Senior Bowl isn't bad, we get a firsthand look at some of the NFL ready players.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 pm

Chris Wells, the kid from Akron(Garfield) ran the ball 13 times for 72 yard and 3 TDs to win the AA MVP award. He is coming to Ohio State and we are very happy. :D

Did anyone see the punter (Donahue?) that Iowa got boot the ball for 63 yards? :shock: That kid should help Iowa right away.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:00 pm

I was glad to see DeMarco Murray committ to Oklahoma.

He looked very good. Did you lose your lunch when he picked up that SC hat? :? OU had a few studs in that game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:13 pm

Buckeye recruits Chris Wells(RB) and Robert Rose(DE) played well in the game, but our 5* OL recruit Conner Smith almost got Tim Tebow killed :shock: Guess he will probably need a redshirt year to learn to pass block.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:01 am

Mustain was hyped up soooo much before and during that game, but the only touchdowns the West had were when they had Snead in there at quarterback. He's going to be another great quarterback for Texas.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:44 pm

I thought Snead did the best job for the west, but in their defense the O-lines for both sides could learn a little about pass blocking.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Yeah, all star games are always tilted towards the defensive lines, there's a reason great teams always have those 5 bigboys that are always together, you have to be in such a groove with them to be effective, I mean there's no excuse when a D-Lineman just bullrushes you, but for the most part, you gotta give the O-Line more time to get in sync

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Hey, Spence. I see where Jeff Cumberland from Brookhaven HS in Columbus is coming to visit the Mountaineers. I see he's considered a 4 star prospect and ranked 10th in the nation as a tight end. Do you know anything about him.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:33 pm

He is a very good player. Ohio State would like to get him, but he has some academic issues and Ohio State isn't allowed to take academic projects per the new president. It really gripes my butt because Ohio State is a land grant school which means they have to educate everybody in state. I believe he can pass the clearinghouse to get into school. If he comes your way you should like him.

He is 6-4 and weighs 221. Runs a 4.47 forty. He is a little small for a TE, he will probably play receiver in College. You guys are competing with Michigan and Minnesota for him. He is very athletic and could grow into a TE. He has the frame to support TE. Very good hands.

Brookhaven puts out alot of D-1 players. The biggest competition for him would probably be with Minnesota. Glen Mason has a good relationship with the Brookhaven coach and has signed several Brookhaven players.
Good luck with him, he is a potential All- American.

The only bad thing about this kid is grades. I don't think he is a problem student, but he may have a learning disability. If he qualifies and you guys get him they may have to redshirt him to focus on his school work and keep him eligible. Which is a shame because he could start right now. He is that good.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:30 pm

Yep, and the NCAA is kicking in the academic reform package that can take scholarships (reduce the 85 limit) for schools that don't meet the NCAA standards for eligibility and progress toward graduation too.

The Big East Conference is moving toward a non-qualifier rule. One that says if a recruit doesn't qualify academically he or she can't be waived into the university. Word from those 'in the know' say it's a done deal. There has been some howling from the member schools about it, but the presidents shut them up pretty quickly.

Rodriquez might have a hard time selling this one, if academics are an issue, provided the kid decides he wants to play for the Mountaineers. David Hardesty, WVU's president, has made it very clear on how he see's the academic and athletic functions at the university.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:50 am

Yep, and the NCAA is kicking in the academic reform package that can take scholarships (reduce the 85 limit) for schools that don't meet the NCAA standards for eligibility and progress toward graduation too.

I agree that a kid shouldn't play football if his academics aren't in order, but the schools shouldn't be punished for taking a chance on a kid with a learning disability. If someone wants to give him a shot they could get him in school. Get him tutoring and see if they can educate him. If the have success then he can play. I believe that not letting the schools give a kid a chance does nothing but hurt these kids. For most of them this is their only shot at an education. I can see keeping them off the football field until they prove themselves in the classroom, but not giving them a chance at all isn't reform in my opinion.

I hope this kid gets his shot. He seems like a good kid.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 am

i wish football would do what baseball does . establish a farm system for these kids who are "just" football players . i do believe that every kid deserves an education. but let's be serious for a second. do you truly believe someone like maurice clarett had every intention of earning a college degree ???? this get's to me. yet some poor sap from a small town in ohio has to hold down 2 or 3 jobs just to pay for his/her books at osu.

Notre Dame has had their fair share of "projects over the years, but to be fair they are a very good school.

No Mo. Clarett never planned to get his degree. He thought the school would let him slide because he was a star RB. He was wrong. That doesn't mean the 90% of kids who use football to get their degree don't deserve it. Trust me I know about having to work your way through, because I did it. That doesn't mean that a kid with a learning disability can't earn a degree with some help. The schools earn a lot of money off these kids so if they have one who they need to bite the bullet on then that is the way it goes. The kid we are talking about in an Ohio kid with a learning disability. If he does well enough to pass the NCAA clearinghouse he should be able to be offered a scholarship from Ohio State. Ohio State is a land grant college, which means if he is from Ohio they are supposed to admit him if he passes the minimum requirements.

That doesn't mean I think he should play ball unless he can keep up the schoolwork. I don't, but to not give him a shot is wrong.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:07 am

let's face it - some of the players who enroll at miami or ohio state (ala maurice clarett) would not be allowed to play for the irish.

Mo. Clarett did very well academically in highschool and on his SAT. He graduated high school early and enter Ohio State winter quarter of his senior year. Notre Dame offered Mo. Clarett, so that isn't true. Claretts problem wasn't that he wasn't smart enough, but that he had a chip on his shoulder.

88 if you want to use the "quote" feature highlight and copy the quote. Paste it in your reply. Highlight it again and click quote. That should do it for you.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:17 am

I have some recollection of that '88 Irish team.

Return to “General Discussion”