Undefeated Suprises?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Undefeated Suprises?

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:01 pm

Missouri: 4-0
Rutgers: 4-0
Houston: 4-0
Wake Forest: 4-0
Purdue: 4-0
Texas A&M: 4-0

I watched an interesting debate on "ESPNU: Inside the Polls" tonight, and Mike Gottfried and Todd McShay debated what they thought about these teams.

Who is the best? Who is the worst? Who is the most suprising? Who will lose first?

I think the best team is Missouri considering they have the #1 D in the nation. Granted, Murray State, Ohio, and Ole Miss aren't very good tests for a defense, considering they all have terrible offenses. It still counts for something, and while I believe that Nebraska still the favorite in the North, Missouri has just as good of a shot to win the North.

The worst, without question, is Purdue. This team is a total fraud from what I've seen. They surrendered 35 points to Indiana State!!! :shock: :shock: .....!!! :shock: They are one of the worst teams in 1-AA. They barely made it alive through Ball State and Miami OH (a team that I thought was going to be good this year, but they just lost by 5 to North Dakota State :shock: and Miami OH is a bad, bad football team). They beat a sub-par Minnesota team, I don't think that's anything to brag about. I think this team will struggle getting to a bowl, but I think they will finish 6-6.

The most suprising has to be Wake Forest. They looked depleted by injuries, but they have came back to beat teams that most would consider on their level. They beat Syracuse, Duke (who isn't at their level), UConn, and Ole Miss. That's pretty impressive considering they are normally peers, but Wake must be a teeny bit better than most of the teams that has been listed. Wake will be 5-0 because they take on Liberty this week.

The team that will lose first is Texas A&M. Their defense is extremely leaky, Texas Tech will exploit it pretty bad. But, I've been wrong before when talking about Tech's offense :roll: They actually don't look that great this season. Oh yeah, Notre Dame has the potential to score 70 points against Purdue; it's going to be a total smackdown. I think Miami is going to lose to Houston. The Cougs are a very good football team.

I'd like to share what I think about Rutgers and see if some of you guys agree. I don't think the Scarlet Knights are very good. I guess we'll see against South Florida, but I don't even think USF is any good this year. They've beat UNC (who is looking really bad), Illinois (who is looking even worse), Ohio (who is just another MAC team, and they didn't beat them up very good either 24-7), and Howard (yeah). Nothing impressive so far, we'll get to see them have a couple more tests down the road in Big East play.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:35 pm

I think it can continue for Missouri and Houston. Both of these teams are pretty good. Houston could be 10-2 this year, I'd count on 9-3. Missouri should be in that 7-9 range. Missouri is a solid football team, but they aren't anything spectacular.

Houston is a team to watch out for. They are probably #2 on my list of these undefeated football teams. Kolb is such a tremendous QB. There was a lot of hype surrounding this team in the preseason. I think they're a really good team and Miami can't lose focus again and expect to hit the snooze button against Houston because they can score.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:55 pm

My two cents worth:

Rutgers can run the football on any defense I've seen so far this season and they can throw it well enough to keep a defense honest.

The key to their success is going to be their defense not giving up too many points and the offense having to play catch-up and for their offense not to turn the ball over.

If the Scarlet Knights are allowed to dictate game tempo and eat up the game clock with their running attack, they will be in every game they play.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:47 pm

TDDVandy wrote:Rutgers: 8-4. I'm not sure what to think of this team. I think they'll lose to USF this week and probably Pitt, Louisville, and West Virginia.

Hey TDDVandy I'll take Rutgers straight up over USF for 25 CFP Bucks. :lol:

What say ye? :D

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:34 pm

I'm actually rooting for most of these surprise undefeated teams just to see how far they can go.

The Missouri-Texas A&M game has the potential to be a great game. I also think the Wake Forest-UNC, Houston-UTEP, and Purdue-Northwestern games could all go a long way toward showing how good or bad these teams really are.

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby wvjohn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 pm

IMO Rutgers will finish with 9 or 10 wins. This is a scarey team that will be tough to play.
I know their Rutgers but don't let their history fool you,they are a lot better than people give them credit for.

They will beat the Bulls by 21 maybe.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25 am

O.K. I'll post the bet. 8)

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:20 am

Right, TDDVandy, they aren't suprises because of how bad the competition has been; I guess they're suprises because normally they aren't undefeated this far into the season. A&M shouldn't lose to Army, The Citadel, Louisiana Tech, and UL Lafayette. Just like Houston should not lose to Grambling State and Rice. Purdue hasn't played anybody and I can't see them getting 5 more wins this year. I think Purdue is a terrible football team. They will struggle to be bowl eligible because I think Indiana can beat them this year.

I say Rutgers goes 8-4 because of the conference they play in. I think they'll lose to USF, Pitt, Louisville, and West Virginia.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:24 am

I'd like to share what I think about Rutgers and see if some of you guys agree. I don't think the Scarlet Knights are very good.

Rutgers looked much like a very bad North Carolina...

Stats...

------------------NC--------------------Rutgers

1st Dwns..........25.........................25
Net yrds...........395.......................356
Av. gain ply......5.7.........................5.7
yrds rushing.....169........................223
yrds passing.....226........................133
score...............16..........................21
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 am

Eric wrote:I say Rutgers goes 8-4 because of the conference they play in. I think they'll lose to USF, Pitt, Louisville, and West Virginia.

Hey Eric I'll take Rutgers straight up over USF for 25 CFP Bucks. :lol:

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:07 am

About Wake...its too bad they lost their starting QB, RB, and defensive end before the season...they might have been able to challenge a good team.

I expect Clemson to wear them out. Wake, because of the schedule, may still become bowl eligible.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 am

mountainman wrote:
Eric wrote:I say Rutgers goes 8-4 because of the conference they play in. I think they'll lose to USF, Pitt, Louisville, and West Virginia.

Hey Eric I'll take Rutgers straight up over USF for 25 CFP Bucks. :lol:

I'll take that.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:43 am

O,K. partner ... we've got a bet ...... I'll post it. :lol:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:33 pm

TDDVandy wrote:None of those teams are a surprise because they haven't really played anybody.
That's open to interpretation.
Minnesota, wasn't a bad team, one year ago. They were in position to challenge for a Big Ten title, but had a letdown against Wisconsin, that likely contributed to their 'lackluster' finish (losing to Virginia). Still, they were definitely one of the better offensive teams. Laurence Maroney, IMO, was one of the better running backs in all of I-A, and seems to be doing well as a New England Patriot. Texas A&M might be 'back' after a disappointing season, last year. They did nearly upset Texas, at home, late in the year. Missouri, while not dominating, certainly wasn't a 'bad' team, a year ago. Houston, played in the Ft. Worth Bowl. Rutgers played Arizona St, very tough, in last year's Insight Bowl. Wake Forest has looked impressive, early on, especially within conference. Purdue, coached by Joe Tiller, typically surprises. Any one of those teams, could legitimately qualify for the BCS, under 'ideal' conditions.

TDDVandy wrote: I guess in a way it's surprising because these are all teams that usually would have lost one of those games that they're supposed to win. However, three of those teams (Houston, Missouri and Texas A&M) have been favored in every game so far. Wake was a slight underdog against Ole Miss, Purdue against Minnesota, and Rutgers against North Carolina (who we have since learned is not very good.) And remember... Vandy was 4-0 at one point last year.
Was Houston favored to beat Oklahoma St? I saw the end of that game, critical errors cost the Cowboys the game, but Houston looked pretty good. Apparently a replay official was suspended, Im not aware of the circumstances, but it could have been a 'bad' call that went against OSU.
I would'nt be too quick to 'dog' UNC. I think they are 'very' good at home, which is where Rutgers played them. Joe Dailey isn't a bad QB.
Why 'dog' your own team? I thought Vanderbilt had a 'respectable' team, and appear to be a lot better, this year despite losing Jay Cutler.
I've elected to 'ignore' the rest of your post I think it's too early to make predictions, either way. Where did you have them to this point?

Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Vileborg » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:56 pm

While a few of these are shocking surprises I think my views will probably shock you even more.

Missouri - I think they are the real deal. I'm pretty sure they will be 8-0 when they take on Oklahoma. If they get the crowd into the game, they could very well end up 12-0. If they run the table it would be hard for anyone to deny them a title shot with the schedule they faced. Realistically, I think Oklahoma will be too much for them, and depending on how they handle the loss they will either be 11-1, or 10-2. Don't get me wrong they have six solid to exceptional teams left, and if they stumble their season could easily get flushed in a hurry.

Rutgers - I think I've seen how good they are, but I'm waiting for the nation to catch up. Unfortunately, they are in the Big East, one of the toughest divisions in the nation. Who would have thought it? South Florida will challenge them, but I still have Rutgers by 17. They will be 6-0 when they take on Pittsburgh. That game will be a nail biter, and I'd much sooner flip a coin than watch the game. I don't think they can run with Louisville, and W.Va though. They may manage to knock off one, but I can't see them taking out both. I think they finish 10-2, and earn tons of R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Texas A&M - I like this team, but they should fire whoever decides their schedule. Tough game coming up against Texas Tech, but I think they win by 3. In-state rivalries have ended many perfect seasons, and if A&M isn't perfect then they could very well suffer their first loss against a good Tech team. IF they survive Tech, I see them at 6-0 going into Missouri. Missouri will start the slide. I think the end of the season will find them at 7-5 with only a win over Baylor to spotlight the final 6 games. They will play everyone tough, and anyone not upto the challenge will fall prey to a stout A&M team.

Wake Forrest - I think they earn some respect this year. I think they roll over liberty, and are hyped when they take on Clemson at home, but coach Bowden has too good a team. I think they lose big to Clemson. If they continue to fight for every game I think they could very well end up 9-3 or 10-2 with certain loses to Clemson, and Va Tech. If they let the clemson game get to them they will lose to a oncoming NC St. team, a tough BC team, and a Maryland team that will be extremely tough in late November. Leaving them wondering what could have been with a 7-5 season.

Houston - I thought their early season perfection would have ended last week against a pretty good Oklahoma St squad, but they convinced me they deserved a second look. Now their looking REALLY good. I would have felt sorry for them going into Miami this weekend. Miami needing someone to beat up to prove they are still a force, but the pulse in Miami is of defeat, and their energy level is non-existent. I'll take Houston by 10.
I think they run the table, and go undefeated, but find themselves on the outside looking in as members of a weak Conf-USA, and a light schedule highlighted by a down, and out Miami Hurricanes.

Purdue - I think they are the Vandy of '06, but their record is about to take a sharp turn. They are about to get rejected, neglected, and left to stare in a corner in stunned reaction to their rude handling at the hands of the Irish. I don't think their rude handling stops there. I have them dropping the next six games. They uplift their season with nice wins over Indiana, and Illinois, only to get Beat down hard by an underrated Hawaii team that will be deadly come November.

USC V. Missouri for the National Title anyone?

Vileborg
Last edited by Vileborg on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”