ND Schedule

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Is Notre Dame is....

A Special Team
56%
No different then other CFB team
44%

Total votes: 9

irish88

Postby irish88 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:46 pm

why were they selected ahead of oregon to play in the fiesta bowl or any other team with 2 losses ???? because fans will tune in to see them play. either to see them lose or to root for them . either way . they're the most popular college football team.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:36 pm

I will give you that Notre Dame has the Nations largest fan base. the reason that Notre Dame was in the Fiesta was that they automatically qualified under the BCS rules. As did Ohio State. No one was selected, although given the amount of revenue both teams pull in, they probably would have been selected anyway. All that said there was still more of an Ohio State presence in Tempe then Notre Dame. Irish fans didn't go the extra mile to secure tickets after the school allotment ran dry.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:33 pm

Irish 88 - Register to become a full-fledged member. We like diversity in school choices here. Now, for your comment....

irish88 wrote:whether you like notre dame or you don't. they're great for college football.

I don't think you meant it to sound as egotistical as it does.

For many years in past history, this was true. Not anymore. Before many teams developed large fan bases and interest in their own programs, there were only a few schools that the nation followed. That is not true now.

Notre Dame is a monopoly in that they get preferential treatment in many areas. No school could compete with them even if they chose to go independent and work their own contracts with TV and the BCS. Notre Dame has the pull of being the nation's chatholic university which helps them in many different whether they deserve it or not.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

irish88

Postby irish88 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:57 pm

how is notre dame a monopoly ???? could someone please explain .

also - notre dame is still not appealing . huh. why would they have their own TV contract ? i'm guessing if NBC wasn't doing well w/the irish games they wouldn't be showing them anymore. why were they chose to play in the fiesta bowl over all the other teams with 2 losses and oregon who had 1 loss ?? why did the BCS want notre dame in the original BCS contract ?

most importantly, why do teams want to play notre dame ??? don't you think all these teams could find someone less appealing to play ? ask paterno - penn state is coming back on the schedule. why would penn state want to play notre dame . i'm guessing they have a very good reason.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:00 pm

why were they chose to play in the fiesta bowl over all the other teams with 2 losses and oregon who had 1 loss ??

They weren't chosen for the Fiesta they were an automatic qualifier, per the Notre Dame rule in the BCS.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:51 pm

irish88 wrote:how is notre dame a monopoly ???? could someone please explain .

This was explained in my previous post.

They have an unfair advantage by not being forced to play under the same rules when it comes to scheduling, revenue sharing, BCS inclusion, TV contracts, etc.

Definition of monopoly: "An exclusive privilege of buying, selling, making or using anything." I should also note that my original comment said that they have "in essence, a monopoly" meaning a strong similarity to a monopoly.

As Spence said, ND was not CHOSEN to go to a BCS Bowl. They were an automatic qualifier.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:41 am

I think we all agree that to any non-Notre Dame fan, it's unfair the advantages ND has, but it's comforting to know how long it's been since they've won the big one, well even just a bowl for that matter. Can I go ahead and point out a big hypocrisy amongst the pollitically correct crowd... Isn't it a huge stereotype that Irishman are always getting into fights? Their mascot wasn't banned from the bowl games.

irish88

Postby irish88 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:03 pm

virginia tech - texas - ohio state .
question - could these 3 schools become an independent and play an independent schedule ??? .. the answer is yes..would they - never.
think about it .virginia tech up and leaves the big east for the ACC . they could have easily become an independent. let's say they did . would they all of sudden be a "monopoly" or have an unfair advantage ? no one has yet answered the question of why they think ND is a monopoly , how they have an unfair advantage , and why do teams like usc, mich, penn state want to play notre dame . help me out guys.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:10 pm

how they have an unfair advantage

Two weeks to prepare for USC and Two weeks to prepare for Tennessee. Show me one team from any conference who has the ability to set that up in their schedule. Those should have been two of ND toughest games this year. That doesn't and can't happen in conference play.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:14 pm

bama_girl wrote:notre dame is our hero :lol:

Notre Dame is the greatest team in the history of mankind...We should be thankful that God graced us with their prescence. :o
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:16 pm

Amen. 'nuff said.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 pm

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:Notre Dame totally has an unfair advantage. By not joining a conference it's basically like saying ND is the same as the Pac10 or Big10 or Big12, etc. It's like ND is equal to an entire conference the way contracts and things are given out.

I still can't understand why ND (with 2 losses) was ranked higher than Oregon (with only 1 loss to the defending champ). Yes they shared one of those losses, but ND lost to Mich State as well. I don't know, all I can do is chalk it up to media bias, the media wants ND to be good, so they'll prematurely rank them up, which in turn helps with recruiting... I don't know, just a theory.

That's politics my man.....And when Notre Dame gets one of those BCS bowls....Who do you think they split the money with???

Answer: No ONE...they keep it

ALL other teams have to split that money evenly amongst all teams in the conference...BUT NOT OUR PRECIOUS little Notre Dame. How special they are... :evil:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:23 pm

By the way, welcome to the member ranks Irish88. :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Your welcome to post on anything you like. We don't have to agree, but your comments are welcome.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Hey irish88,

Feel free to make your case or not if that is what you want to do. 8)

Most of the guys and gals here are good and knowledgeable fans. They are a tough bunch at times, but they are for the most part a reasonable and pretty sharp group. :wink:

It would be a good thing, I believe, to hear things from a Notre Dame perspective. :)

By the way, I believe the Irish have advantage too, but I'll listen, and maybe you will turn me around. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”