FSU v Idaho Why Idaho may Win!!!!!!!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

FSU v Idaho Why Idaho may Win!!!!!!!

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Just in case my friend, Mr. Billybud, is getting a little too smug, I offer these considerations why Idaho may win this weekend.

1. Their name, Vandals. They are used to stealing. They are proud of it. And in Idaho, every one, and I mean everyone, has guns. Tomahawks are no match against guns. See Raiders of the Lost Ark.
2. Idaho Started playing football in 1893, FSU 1899…Experience counts a lot.
3. Idaho has lost five games in a row, FSU has won ten in a row. Everyone knows that if you flip a coin ten times you will not get ten heads. (We all know the odds at each toss is 50/50 so don’t bother with that trite detail, none of us believe it anyway.) So on this point alone, Idaho has to be favored.
4. Idaho does not play in some conference where there are only two noteworthy football schools. As a matter of fact they don’t play in any conference.
5. Idaho is in Moscow. I saw Hunt for Red October…you never know who is running the ship.
6. In 1929 USC beat Idaho 72-0. They are not about to let that type of whipping happen again.
7. And then there are some statistics:
Idaho FSU
Total offense 363.3 521.2
Rushing offense 139.9 199.2
Passing offense 116.69 322.0
Scoring offense 18.8 52.7
Total defense 531.5 271.4
Rushing defense 202.4 127.9
Pass eff. defense 165.10 89.67
Scoring defense 45.7 11.1
Turnover margin -0.7 1.4
3rd down conversion % .354 .515
3rd down conversion def. .433 .315
4th down conversion .414 .500
4th down conversion def. .667 .500
Red zone offense .821 .982
Red zone defense .830 .800
Net punting 40.06 34.14
Punt returns 6.16 11.12
Kickoff returns 21.33 24.81
Penalties/yards per game 56.70 44.90
Time of possession 31:16 29:44

See Idaho can out punt FSU...and the Vandals get more penalties...shows toughness.

I rest my case.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: FSU v Idaho Why Idaho may Win!!!!!!!

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

now for the why Florida State will win..........................................................
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm convinced. :|

If Idaho keeps it within 35 after the first quarter, I will consider it a moral victory :lol:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Hey, look at that advantage in time of possession too! Don't forget about that. Just think of the stuff Peyton Manning can do with a minute and a half and the game on the line.

Now if only we can find a way to get Peyton Manning onto the Idaho roster for this game...

Plus that whole Moscow thing that was mentioned. Even if Idaho loses, maybe they can get Putin to steal some trophies or rings for them or something. He's been known to do that before. Put it together with the Vandals thing and it fits all too well.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:Hey, look at that advantage in time of possession too! Don't forget about that. Just think of the stuff Peyton Manning can do with a minute and a half and the game on the line.

Now if only we can find a way to get Peyton Manning onto the Idaho roster for this game...

Plus that whole Moscow thing that was mentioned. Even if Idaho loses, maybe they can get Putin to steal some trophies or rings for them or something. He's been known to do that before. Put it together with the Vandals thing and it fits all too well.

Yeah, time of possession is only a positive when it comes along with very few first down conversions.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Spence wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

now for the why Florida State will win..........................................................

The only possible way Florida State can win is to score more points than Idaho.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 pm

donovan wrote:

Yes, but in my humble opinion, scoring more points is a great strategy. If I am hiring a coach, I would tend to try and find one who consistently scores more points than his opponents as a criteria.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Spence wrote:
Brian Roastbeef wrote:Hey, look at that advantage in time of possession too! Don't forget about that. Just think of the stuff Peyton Manning can do with a minute and a half and the game on the line.

Yeah, time of possession is only a positive when it comes along with very few first down conversions.

Syarcuse 3...FSU 59

Syracuse offense 42 minutes...FSU...18.... (FSU starters 9)

Time of possession...Syracuse dominated...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Yeah, but I bet Syracuse didn't have a lot of first downs. If the team has lots of first downs, time of possession can be a positive stat.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Spence wrote:
donovan wrote:

Yes, but in my humble opinion, scoring more points is a great strategy. If I am hiring a coach, I would tend to try and find one who consistently scores more points than his opponents as a criteria.

Hey, Idaho has a good chance at beating fsu tomorrow . . . all they need to do is find a less than respectable Tallahassee Police Officer (but of course --- there aren't any of those), pay him off, and have him bust the florida state 1rst, 2cnd, 3rd string players at a "party" that he "found" the entire 1rst-3rd string offense & defense in "possession" of illegal narcotics.

If they could just find a Tallahassee Police officer transferee from Gainesville.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:39 pm

One phrase I hate is "keep the other offense off the field." The max you can score on long or short drive is 8 points. You're not gaining extra scores by extending the drive. I can't help but feel that this is what they suggest when they use this phrase. Like you can somehow make-up possessions as long as the offense isn't on the field.

I guess what they're trying to say is that in order for teams to pull off an upset against a good offense, you have to run clock while, hopefully, getting first downs. The fewer possessions, the higher the variance. If you run your offense fast and get the same amount of first downs, you're lengthening the game. If you run the clock and run into a couple punts, it may not hurt as bad. But time management over 60 minutes isn't going to do a whole lot to make up for talent disparity, which is why I think T.O.P. is overrated. You could create a turnover in plus territory and score quickly, which "hurts" your TOP, but points are points. Or you could be like Oregon or Florida State and score in a couple minutes. If the other team can't respond at a similar rate, then they can't respond no matter how long they hold onto the ball. And I don't know what the average amount of possessions each team gets during a game, but each team gets roughly the same amount of possessions as their opponent. If you're pitting Syracuse against Florida State, FSU should separate itself in about 3 or 4 drives max and there are a lot more total possessions over the course of a game than that.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:08 am

Even Fisher thinks Idaho may win........Honestly, Mr. Billybud...do they teach at FSU saying this with a straight face?

“Idaho is a very good football team. They’ve got a four-down team on defense, mix three-four packages, like to blitz, split safety team, [they’re] going to mix in some three-deep coverages,” Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “Coach Paul Petrino does a good job, he’s the head coach, he’s got a great background. [They] throw the ball really well, multiple looks, he does everything in the book. He’s got a great offensive mind.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:17 am

Honestly, I don't even know why Idaho would show up. :lol:

What would be really fun to see is if Savannah State got to play Florida State this year instead of last year. The over/under after one quarter may be, what, 49? :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 am

I don't know why Florida State would show up. Fisher has built them up in his mind. I think he has beaten himself already. Yep, that's what I think.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 am

billybud wrote:
Spence wrote:

Syarcuse 3...FSU 59

Syracuse offense 42 minutes...FSU...18.... (FSU starters 9)

Time of possession...
Syracuse dominated...

Yeah 'Cuse! (Parts of the post happened to get lost in quoting... weird)

Return to “General Discussion”