Johnny

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Johnny

Postby Spence » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm

It was from the NCAA
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Johnny Who?

Postby Swamp Daddy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:18 am

That tape where he's signing autographs but which mysteriously doesn't show any pay off reminds me of all those bigfoot tapes where some group is in the woods, and, just by accident, filming the scenery in crystal clear HD video, all of a sudden the camera goes blurry, can no longer zoom, and jerks all over the place like the camera man is filming left handed while using his right for something else -- and we're supposed to believe it's a real bigfoot. :wink:

What I'd like to have seen was his wallet, and, or pockets, before and after the "autograph" session. :oops: His crappy antics prevented teams all over the country from signing autographs for kids, and fans, on game days just in case someone wanted to make like everyone was Johnny Football.

Yuck, only takes one of those wormy apples to spoil everyone's appetite.

glad the season is under way, Swamp Daddy 8)
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 am

Why is this the ONE time the media refuses to play The Race Card?

I personally believe the NCAA is classist, not racist. It certainly discriminates against athletes that are not counseled by personal attorneys or educated and well off parents.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 am

Yeofoot wrote:Why is this the ONE time the media refuses to play The Race Card?

I personally believe the NCAA is classist, not racist. It certainly discriminates against athletes that are not counseled by personal attorneys or educated and well off parents.

Me too. I don't believe they are racist, but they are treating this kid different than several others for the same offense.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:56 am

Have any of you watched Blue Mountain State? If you have not, it is the best show ever on Netflix. Think Animal House meets Varsity Blues.

Anyway, Johnny Foolsball is pretty much living his life exactly how the lead character, Alex Moran, would if he won Heisman as a Freshman. One of my friends hung out with JF, and he said he was very cool, and let everyone take pics with him, and had a good time... then he asked "Ok, is everyone good with pics?" they said yes, he then proceeded to grab a bottle of JD and took a huge chug.

Most of you will find that anecdote as "bad," I on the other hand, thought, wow, that guy is awesome. Sure, he could be making millions in the NFL one day...but I'm pretty sure he'll never have as much fun as he has had for the last 6 months.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Have any of you watched Blue Mountain State? If you have not, it is the best show ever on Netflix. Think Animal House meets Varsity Blues.

Anyway, Johnny Foolsball is pretty much living his life exactly how the lead character, Alex Moran, would if he won Heisman as a Freshman. One of my friends hung out with JF, and he said he was very cool, and let everyone take pics with him, and had a good time... then he asked "Ok, is everyone good with pics?" they said yes, he then proceeded to grab a bottle of JD and took a huge chug.

Most of you will find that anecdote as "bad," I on the other hand, thought, wow, that guy is awesome. Sure, he could be making millions in the NFL one day...but I'm pretty sure he'll never have as much fun as he has had for the last 6 months.

I don't look at it as bad. I understand trying to have separate public and private lives. I just also believe you should follow the rules.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Spence wrote:Yeah, I agree with most, except that Ohio State's Devier Posey is a face. A kid trying to make it in football who got 5 games because a booster over paid $3.07 more than he was aloud too for Posey to play in a charity golf outing. That $3.07 ended Posey's college career and while it did not stop him from going to the NFL, it cost him lots of money. Not having that season's numbers entering the draft.

Rules are rules and If the rules are broken then you pay the price. While I believe what Posey got was exessive, it was still up to him to make sure he was in compliance. Not the charity, not the booster, but him. Personal responsibility. Something it appears the NCAA is willing to let Johnny Manziel slide on. That is my problem with this whole thing. If the NCAA inforced their rules consistently, then I would have nothing to say. I didn't defend Ohio State players or the head coach, at the time, because they did what they were accused of doing. So did Johnny football.

Yeah, I certainly understand that. I'm not saying that nobody was hurt when they went after Ohio State; in fact that had farther reaching consequences. I'm not saying it was right either or wrong even, just that we all knew this wouldn't go down the same way. The difference is Posey was one of a bunch hit in a short period of time, so it's easier for the NCAA to play it as something troubling with that school's organization. Those of us who watch the sport closely understand where he was socked hard for bullcrap, but to those watching casually it all blended together with the previous year's troubles, the probation, Terrelle Pryor and a few other guys only vaguely known outside the Midwest in some tattoo parlor scandal, Tressel's resignation... oh and one of those aforementioned guys got socked for some more games over three bucks... oh did we miss that part? So the NCAA tees off on them not fearing a whole lot of backlash that puts their policies in the crosshairs. Whether there's a racial component, I can't even fairly say. I've been told by the media so many things are racist over the past five years, the word has lost too much meaning for me to identify it if it's really there.

Here, it's a much more isolated incident. It's Johnny Football, a guy that's a little crazy, not perfectly clean cut but hasn't really gone beyond usual college guy stupidities either. His family could drag this out for months and it's not just a legal mess but one that would bring them unwanted scrutiny on their rule. No surprise at all they took the easy way out. It may be racist or as Yeofoot says more likely classist (so many issues called racist by the media are really class issues), but the isolation of the case and difference in attentiveness by the media are a great part of it too. As a fan of consistency I say there's a fair argument that all should have been hit... as a fan of decent management I say this profiting rule deserves a lot of reexamination that the NCAA and its partners are desperately trying to avoid.

A&M I see did the expected smart move and picked the first half for him to sit out. Up 7 at the half with the hero coming out now to put it away. That said, I don't know that they should be entirely comfortable that it was their quarterback sitting and their defense giving up three TDs...

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I understand why Ohio State got slammed and I believe they had it coming. They broke the rules. I also agree that Manziel was an isolated incident. Manziel has also been kind of "in your face" about it. And he broke the rules, knowingly. He doesn't need the money, so it was more about saying to the NCAA "you can't touch me". It appears he is right.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Manziel may be the best QB in the history of the world. He is a jerk.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:59 pm

He is a definitely a egotist. He gave his little "up yours" to the NCAA in the game today.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:12 pm

He's great fun to watch, has the potential to do a lot for Texas A&M and the sport as a whole, then be the next Peyton Manning when he moves on to the NFL.

But yeah, he is a jerk. His victory in having the NCAA go easy on him only exacerbated his overinflated head problem. Once again though great fun to watch.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:He's great fun to watch and has the potential to do a lot for the sport and be the next Peyton Manning when he moves on to the NFL.

But yeah, he is a jerk. His victory in having the NCAA go easy on him only exacerbated his overinflated head problem. Still great fun to watch.

I don't think he has a chance to be great at the next level. He is going to get himself in trouble. He can't seem to help it. At some point daddy won't be about to help him.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't know... He likes to push the line, but he does seem aware that there is a line, somewhere, and doesn't act like he's looking for serious trouble - just showing off that he can get away with the piddling stuff. Lots of guys are stupid jerks in college, and most of them don't have almost everybody on ESPN pointing out that they are the all-time hero of football every fourteen seconds. (Except for Lou, who has long since descended to his inevitable conclusion that all of football consists entirely of Notre Dame playing a bunch of nameless 1-AAs). It's too soon to rule out the possibility that he matures. Or perhaps he'll stay a jerk and still find greatness - in which case he'll be the next Tom Brady instead of the next Peyton Manning. :twisted:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:20 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:I don't know... He likes to push the line, but he does seem aware that there is a line, somewhere, and doesn't act like he's looking for serious trouble - just showing off that he can get away with the piddling stuff. Lots of guys are stupid jerks in college, and most of them don't have almost everybody on ESPN pointing out that they are the all-time hero of football every fourteen seconds. (Except for Lou, who has long since descended to his inevitable conclusion that all of football consists entirely of Notre Dame playing a bunch of nameless 1-AAs). It's too soon to rule out the possibility that he matures. Or perhaps he'll stay a jerk and still find greatness - in which case he'll be the next Tom Brady instead of the next Peyton Manning. :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

There are lots of jerks. When the light is shining on you, you don't want to thumb your nose at the system. If his popularity goes down the NCAA will go after him.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 pm

I personally can not stand to watch him play. I just saw the highlights of A&M today and he came across as more than a jerk. He rolls into Ark in a few weeks. I hope Ark's defense can set him straight a few times during the game.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Return to “General Discussion”