preseason rankings for next season

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:43 pm

Yep, that's a hurdle that's tough to clear.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:03 pm

I agree. That is why I like the bowl system. Sure every once in a while someone is going to get screwed, but the bowls just have a better feel about them then a play off would. If you want, you get to see 56 teams play. 54 of them playing for nothing but pride and still they play their butts off. You don't see that any place else. No other college sport and no pro sport. Changing that and taking a chance in messing up CFB to me would be a crime.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:51 pm

mountainman wrote:If I can inject something into your exchange, one of the problems with a playoff is that it just moves the problem from 3 & 4 spots to the 5 & 6 spots in a 4 team playoff and to the 9 & 10 spots in an eight team playoff and to the 17 & 18 spots in a sixteen team playoff. The problem is never "fixed", just moved to what some may consider an acceptable place.
Is the BCS really a playoff? No, it's not, it's simply an 'alternative' to one. But it does have the potential to become one, and that's why I think in time it may become the 'solution' to how to select a 'concensus' national champion.
Lets' analyze how teams are represented in the BCS, at present.
Six conferences are 'awarded' bids, directly. 3/6 also utilize a conference title game.
Notre Dame wasn't in a conference, but they 'won' an 'at large' bid.
Penn State and Ohio State were Big Ten 'co-champions', and a title game pairing them, would have selected one team to the BCS.
Someone tell me how that isnt' a 'fair' way to select a team, irrespective of where they play.
For 'lesser' conferences, the C-USA for example, they ought to meet certain standards, to be included.
It's my opinion, that a team 'outside' the BCS can legitimately qualify itself, through competition.
Presently, undefeated seems to be the 'standard' for a team not traditonally part of the BCS to be selected. But there's no guarantee that would have given TCU a bid, this season, just as Boise St, wasn't selected last season.
But, if nothing else, the BCS does provide the public with interesting pairings of teams, in bowls. And they also give us a national championship game, for those two teams lucky enough to be selected.
Not too bad, but far from perfect.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:18 pm

It's my opinion, that a team 'outside' the BCS can legitimately qualify itself, through competition.
Presently, undefeated seems to be the 'standard' for a team not traditonally part of the BCS to be selected. But there's no guarantee that would have given TCU a bid, this season, just as Boise St, wasn't selected last season.
But, if nothing else, the BCS does provide the public with interesting pairings of teams, in bowls. And they also give us a national championship game, for those two teams lucky enough to be selected.
Not too bad, but far from perfect.

CLF, you are coming around. :lol:

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:46 pm

My bad Howdy, I didn't notice that. :oops:
Go Hokies!

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:47 pm

Spence I need to qualify what I stated earlier. Yes, Ohio State was deserving of a BCS bid, this year. So if I implied otherwise I"m sorry.
I just was trying to 'spread the talent' around, so that more teams could participate in the BCS, every year.
That's why I keep mentioning the 'formula' that allows every conference a representative, provided they are sufficiently good enough to be included. You yourself mentioned the possiblity of a MAC team being selected, something I would also like to see happen,if they are respectible enough to be included.
So we agree more than we disagree, believe it or not.
And yes, Ohio State belongs in the BCS, when they are good, like they were this year, and in 2003.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:48 pm

Ohio State doesn't go every year, too bad, let someone else have a chance, is that a crime? Or, minimally allow the same opportunity to other teams. It's called being impartial to any one particular idealogy.
Ohio State has a place in the BCS, but let them earn it.

Ohio State is 4-0 in BCS appearances. I would call that earning it.

It is a crime if Ohio State doesn't go to the BCS? Only in Ohio.

Ohio State hasn't went to the BCS every year. The last time we didn't go was 2004, last year. We didn't deserve to go and we didn't.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:46 pm

7 more posts and this will be the first thread to have 100 replies.

You can't let it die now!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:21 pm

Right now I am thinking about putting LSU #1 in the preseason poll.

That should start an argument. :lol: I am serious though.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:25 pm

Watch out for those Gators down Florida way. I'll be keeping an eye on them for the #1 spot. :?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:49 pm

i don't think Florida will win a championship as long as Leak is the QB. You can be worried about getting your helmet scratched and win. I hate guys who are just trying not to get hurt until the can declare in the draft.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Drum roll please.........And the person who posts the 100th post on the thread will be....................
Last edited by Spence on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:15 am

RT, Ohio State shouldn't be ranked in the top 2. They lost too much on defense. Even though the buckeyes lost the 3 big time linebacker, they should be ok at those positions. Where Ohio State will suffer is in the secondary. Not many guys with game experience returning. I think it will be 5 or 6 games into the season before Ohio State looks like they could be a contender. By then it will be too late.

Stranger things have happened, though, in 2002 we were in a similiar situation and that turned out well. Still they don't deserve to start out in a 1 or 2 position.

Return to “General Discussion”