SCREWED BY THE BCS...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Vileborg
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: SCREWED BY THE BCS...

Postby Vileborg » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 am

A few years back the Pollsters had to manipulate the vote to keep Virginia Tech out of the National Championship game and a rematch with LSU. I wouldn't say screwed exactly, as a rematch wasn't really a great option.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:
Dossenator wrote:How about Auburn the year they went undefeated.

Who in my opinion had more of a legitimate gripe than usc from the year before.

Yep. They clobbered GA that year. VERY solid team that had a legitimate gripe with their lot.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here...

Nobody has been screwed by the BCS. College Football ratings are up, college revenues from the sports are up, bowl games have exploded, and more attention gets paid to the entire season of college football than happens with any other sport. Why? Because virtually every game is, indeed, a playoff game.

College football has benefitted tremendously BECAUSE of the BCS. And so have the fans.

(BCS over-seers, send your checks to..... :D )
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:24 am

I'd say Oregon and Georgia for the reasons listed for each above. The biggest benefactor has been LSU. I'll never understand how they went from #7 to #2 in one weeks time when they won, the previous #2 lost and three of the teams ranked 3 thru 6 were idle that week. The polls never do that at any other time of the year.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:17 am

..fanatic wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here...

Nobody has been screwed by the BCS. College Football ratings are up, college revenues from the sports are up, bowl games have exploded, and more attention gets paid to the entire season of college football than happens with any other sport. Why? Because virtually every game is, indeed, a playoff game.

College football has benefitted tremendously BECAUSE of the BCS. And so have the fans.

You might be right. So many people complaining does mean high interest. Apathy would be the main indicator that BCS has screwed things up royally.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 pm

collegefbfan8898 wrote:The original title of the thread was asking which teams might have gotten a raw deal? A lot of fans have different views on this. I am not saying how or did the BCS collectively screw college football. I feel the same way: Each week counts. I am on par with that. However, I was just curious as to which teams had a serious dispute with the system due to outside factors: Head coaches or AD's crying about something, losers of conference champs games getting pushed way down the bowl ladder, etc.

A lot of people thought that Boise State and TCU would play other BCS teams last season. They were paired together, and many fans were not happy.

Beat me to the gun on this one...

Yeah, I have always backed the BCS.

I did gripe in the first couple of years, but it wasn't to get rid of the system... it was how the flaws in the system adversely affected the game.

However, the BCS system has done something that conversely a playoff system likely would not... admitted its faults.

They analyze a problem with the formula... then alter it to try & make things more smooth.

The biggest problem with that, is, they only have the ability to change a blip, after the season is over, and someone publicly chants the media's favorite proverb "We were screwed", in order to exploit it, so they can promote a less efficient playoff.

Yet, with a playoff, you end up with the "We were screwed" mantra vocalized to only be cured with the system expanding to add more teams to the brackets... ( there will be 96 in the next ncaa basketball tourny )

With that type of non-sense; you have teams who don't belong there getting another shot...

And that, ultimately, is the reason why the BCS has been a good thing for the sport. Because every game is essentially a playoff.

Otherwise, college football becomes communist... ( no wonder why Obama supports a tournament )

Last edited by Cane from the Bend on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:03 pm

I agree with you on this one, Cane. Adding teams who shouldn't be there is equally as "unfair" as having to decide two participants between three teams. I've been becoming less and less of a staunch BCS defender and over the years I've come to understand how the system can be faulty. But it certainly makes the season that much more interesting and that's what people seem to be missing in all of this.

"There is nothing more unequal, than the equal treatment of unequal people." - Thomas Jefferson :D
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:31 pm

..fanatic wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here...

Yes, it has kept people talking about waht if, what now, next etc! Now I'll take 1/4 of that check!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Return to “General Discussion”