Regionals...baseball

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Regionals...baseball

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Alas..I will be on the Harley in North Carolina/Tennessee (we leave next weekend for two weeks)...will miss the games.

I will try to catch updates in the evening...She Who Must Be Obeyed (my darliing passenger) thinks she has a respite from sports (hee hee).
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:25 pm

billybud wrote:FSU set NCAA records playing Ohio State in the regional finals...beating the Bucks 37-6.

...37 runs...most runs in a post season game.
...38 hits...most hits in a postseason game
...15 doubles...most doubles by a team in a game...
...66 total bases...NCAA postseason record.

And, it could have been 50 runs. Coach Martin started pulling starters, FSU held guys at third when they could have gone home, didn't steal a base...and, put in pitchers, who were getting their first college at bat, for designated hitter and pinch hitter. Coach Martin, ahead by 30 runs, appealed to the NCAA to call the game after completion of the 7th inning and was denied.

Holy freaking cow :shock:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Ah Doss...you had to bring that Super regional up...we still pick at the scab.

Hope it turns out different this time around...a ray of hope is that since they went to a 64 team format in 1999...78.8% of the Super Regionals have been won by the hosting team. FSU, as the higher seed, should host this year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey...

Any time you play, in postseason, the team that finished #1 in the standings of a major conference like the Big Ten...and beat them by 31 runs, it is an accomplishment. A historic game. A record that will not be eclipsed in the near future.

and, it was absolutely no low blow...the 37-6 score was a football type score..that was the comment. A compliment, actually, to FSU.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:54 pm

This was a class act game....The coach requested to stop at seven innings, he gave everyone a chance to play. OSU is a good ball game. Certainly their coach took the loss with class. These things happen and at that level you make the best of it and in this case I say kudos to both teams. :D :D
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:09 pm

billybud wrote:FSU set NCAA records playing Ohio State in the regional finals...beating the Bucks 37-6.

...37 runs...most runs in a post season game.
...38 hits...most hits in a postseason game
...15 doubles...most doubles by a team in a game...
...66 total bases...NCAA postseason record.

And, it could have been 50 runs. Coach Martin started pulling starters, FSU held guys at third when they could have gone home, didn't steal a base...and, put in pitchers, who were getting their first college at bat, for designated hitter and pinch hitter. Coach Martin, ahead by 30 runs, appealed to the NCAA to call the game after completion of the 7th inning and was denied.

That is both impressive and ridiculous! I'd like to see how that all rolled out...I'll look for the game on Classic. I just want to see what the pitching was like. And see if OSU was lobbing beach balls in there!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Colorado_Football wrote:
billybud wrote:Hey...

Any time you play, in postseason, the team that finished #1 in the standings of a major conference like the Big Ten...and beat them by 31 runs, it is an accomplishment. A historic game. A record that will not be eclipsed in the near future.

and, it was absolutely no low blow...the 37-6 score was a football type score..that was the comment. A compliment, actually, to FSU.

I was equally impressed with how Texas Christian, by beating Oregon St, 5-4, advanced.

Oh Hell Yeah...exactly the same! I'll be looking for that game on Classic too. Heck, I probably have a better chance of seeing that one several times before I catch the OSU-FSU re-air!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

ROFLMAO...CLF...you are a prize. Yep..Sure, count me as equally impressed as well. But with Missouri State's taking two of three from Oregon St. on the road in Portland.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:36 pm

The Hogs travel to Tallahassee and have their work cut out for them. I don't think they will lose any of the 2 or 3 games to the Noles by more than 20 points though. The Big 10 is not really known for quality baseball teams, as being in the North it is difficult to recruit the top players.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 am

All it takes really, is a couple of good pitchers...

OSU was coming out of the losers bracket (always tough on pitching staff), had just played one game in our sweltering heat, and just ran out of gas.

I expect Arkansas to have good pitching (they almost got a no no in the regional final), to be used to our heat, and to be very tough to beat. FSU's pitching is not as strong, particularly coming out of the bull pen. Very inconsistant. The Razorbacks also throw a lot of lefties...and FSU bats a lot of lefties..

Whoever wins game one will have a leg up and will be the likely winner of the series.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:28 am

Doss/Razor...

The Super is sold out. I expect that there will be a goodly number of Razorback fans. If you are watching and they show the stands behind the first base dug out..my son (24, slender, curly hair springing out from under a garnet ball cap) and his GF (smallish, blonde) will be about six rows up.

Hope for a good game..I'll see Friday's game, but leave at 6AM saturday on the bike (hoping to get a lot of miles in before afetrnoon showers).

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:33 am

billybud wrote:Doss/Razor...

The Super is sold out. I expect that there will be a goodly number of Razorback fans. If you are watching and they show the stands behind the first base dug out..my son (24, slender, curly hair springing out from under a garnet ball cap) and his GF (smallish, blonde) will be about six rows up.

Hope for a good game..I'll see Friday's game, but leave at 6AM saturday on the bike (hoping to get a lot of miles in before afetrnoon showers).
I won't be going, as we are going to Madeira Beach for the weekend, as my wife's Sister is there for the week from Iowa. I will be watching on TV though.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:36 am

Billybud...I will be watching on my computer. I will keep an eye out for your son. Also, have a safe and enjoyable trip.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:41 pm

RazorHawk wrote:The Hogs travel to Tallahassee and have their work cut out for them. I don't think they will lose any of the 2 or 3 games to the Noles by more than 20 points though. The Big 10 is not really known for quality baseball teams, as being in the North it is difficult to recruit the top players.

I didn't know baseball was done in "points". When did that happen Razor? Or, were you drinkin agin?
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 am

GoBoilers..only in the south.

That was a reference to the football like scores...FSU 37..ODU 6. OSU 13..Georgia 6

Return to “General Discussion”