A Positive Football Story...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

A Positive Football Story...

Postby Dossenator » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:44 am

This is a positive football story. High School playoffs and the opposing team allows a kid with down syndrome to get a rushing TD to end the game....and then both teams come over to congratulate him. We need more stories like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTOc8412 ... r_embedded
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: A Positive Football Story...

Postby wvjohn » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:04 am

That was great, that young man will remember that the rest of his life. :mrgreen:
It was good to see both to congratulate him.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: A Positive Football Story...

Postby WoVeU » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:54 am

It is always good to see people working in the lives of children, especially those with disabilities. It seems we are seeing more of this kind of thing over the last few years. The intent is a beautiful thing, and that is my greatest criteria when I interpret others deeds and actions. But I have concerns about this. I grew up with 2 kids having CP in my family and I know they had all the emotions of the average person it is my understanding that in general DS children (people) are more, even much more functional, and certainly emote the same.

I don't know the back drop to this story but I think you have to be very careful in shaping an event to allow any kid to falsely succeed. (I am sure I sound like a "donkey.") But these kids sometimes have an almost super human ability to focus and lock on to a single idea, want, or goal. So I wonder...does the kid, who has to be bubbling with joy and energy over scoring a TD...have thoughts about playing football, because he is a natural at it. Scoring the 1st time he ever touched the ball, no (or very little) practice required! What does he think about when he is trying to learn some very basic math, reading, or spelling a few days later. Would he not think of how very hard it is and how much work it takes? Would he not have his mind wonder to doing something he is "better" at, something he "rocks" at, like football...as that comes easy!

And light doesn't shine in all dark places. I have seen first hand where a mentally challenged kid is told how good they are at something by an adult or person they trust. Like a mom and dad telling them how great they are at art, drawing or painting. The child, still being a kid, goes to school and tells his "acquaintances" how good he is at art....the best. Within the day or the week, another kid, wants him to demonstrate this ability. This kid then, usually with company, then brings paper and coloring pencils and tells the artful child to show them. The artful child gets bright eyed and glows with a smile and sets to work. Upon finishing or even before, the kid starts getting pounded with ridicule about how poorly he draws and the other kids pile on with a mob mentality! The kid brakes down in tears and runs away to hide, with all of his joy and confidence ripped away...sobbing. His friend(s) fail in consoling him, at least that day. And he goes home and mom and dad finally ask what the problem is, did something happen at school? The sobbing returns...and before it is over the pain and sobbing is 3 fold.

I apologize for raining on a feel good story, I truly do. But I have, sometimes regretfully, found in my life that anything outside of the honest truth requires an exhausting level of energy to prop up...and in the end, winds always blow when and where you don't want them. I say all this just in case any of you get the chance to really do something for a special needs person...please remember, tomorrows will come...and you can't always be there...and the entire world probably does not share your goals and intent. If you want to do something for them, treat them much like everyone else. Talk to them, care, be kind...do something with them because you share the same love of something. Do just as you would do for anyone else. Because that can not be ripped away from them and they will always have it.

In a society, in any group, in a family...we all really just want to belong and feel that belonging. This is equality, when we keep our minds, eyes, and arms open for every one to belong...to be equal. Equality isn't found in performing acts that are designed to oppose and nullify negatives imparted by others. Equality is in not doing or taking part in the negatives.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”